Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I'm new to video editing and struggling to find the right tool for my specific needs, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking to create a video with four basic tracks or layers: Video / Audio (voiceover) / Audio (music) / and Text.

My goal is to overlay a layer of text onto the video, and synchronize this text with the voiceover track. It doesn't have to be perfectly synced, just has to flow along with the voiceover so the viewer can read and listen in unison. So the text should be presented gradually, It's a bit like subtitles, with the exception that it's shorter lines of text -- only about 4-7 words at a time.

My search has been frustrating thus far because I lack the terminology to describe this capability. Most of the search results I'm getting are about text-to-video AI which is not what i'm looking for.

I've explored several online AI video editors like Pictory, Invideo, Canva, Murf, and others, but none seem to support this type of text overlay. They typically allow you to attach text to a video clip, which means it remains on the screen for the entire duration of the clip, regardless of whether the clip is 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

I need a tool that will allow me to put the text on it's own separate track or layer, so I can manipulate it separately from the video track.

I'm sure this can be done using proper video editing software, and that is the way I'll go if need be. However I may prefer an AI tool online because they do streamline the process, as I'd be using stock footage and stock music clips, and possibly AI voiceovers.

OR if there's a software program that has a template I could get started with quickly, or that you think would work well for what I need without a steep learning curve, that could work too, I just don't want to get bogged down for weeks learning another program, and then bogged down editing, ugh.

So if anyone knows of a solution or any suggestions, I'd appreciate your input.

Also as far as performance, my MacMini has done OK with the online video editors, a bit of lag here and there but nothing really disruptive. But I'm not at all confident that it could handle video editing software. These videos will be about 30 minutes long, if that matters. Please advise me on this too if you have any thoughts.

MacMini Apple M2 Pro
Memory 16 GB
Ventura 13.4.1

Last edited:

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
I also suggest trying out iMovie, it comes pre-installed on every Mac and is way more powerful than any online tool.

If you like the feel of iMovie, but want some more features and flexibility, take a look at the Final Cut Pro Trial.

Your Mac mini is more than powerful enough to do video editing if you use the right tools.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
As others have said: iMovie. Done. I'm surprised that you don't seem to have come across it yet. It will do everything you describe and much more. It's free and it's from Apple. Doesn't get better than that.

Should be just fine on a Mini, especially if it's an Apple Silicon Mini.

There are endless tutorials for it, such as this one:
… that should get you started quickly and easily.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Indeed, iMovie will be suitable for your needs in this case. It's great for Mac video editors to start out with, and even I still use it for basic videos (especially my fursuit vlogs).

Reactions: DustyShaw

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I did try iMovie once. I was annoyed that my entire iTunes library was automatically imported, potentially cluttering up my process, and the only way to remove it all was to move my iTunes Media folder, essentially hiding it from iMovie. I thought nah, moving my Music folder could lead to a bunch of headaches, having to shuffle things around & point them to the new location. It felt like a rabbit hole that I didn't want to go down.

That said, if anyone knows of a more elegant way to clear out the music library on iMovie, I'm all ears.

I have other concerns as well. I'm not 100% clear on this but I've read that iMovie doesn't support 4k 60fps, while some other sources say it does but with a workaround I think. Also 3rd party plugins aren't supported & that kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Yesterday when I started this thread I hadn't yet considered video quality or plugins, but now that I am considering it my criteria has changed somewhat. I still want the capabilities I listed in my OP (four basic tracks or layers: Video / Audio (voiceover) / Audio (music) / and Text), but I also want to ensure that I'm not gonna learn a new program and shortly thereafter bump into limitations because I chose the easy route. In other words, I don't wanna waste time learning an easy program and then afterwards find out I can't export in 4K 60fps, for example.

So I'm reconsidering taking on the burden of a steeper learning curve if it's gonna save me from limitations and headaches in the future. But I can't see a scenario where I would need or use even close to half the capabilities that FCP offers. I do want the highest quality exports, and as smooth a workflow as possible, with 3rd party plugin capabilities.

So my question is what are the programs that could be recommended, that are maybe somewhere between iMovie and FCP in terms of features and cost, that would meet my criteria with a little room to grow?

DustyShaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
I just checked the system requirements on Adobe Premiere Elements and it says 32GB or more of RAM for 4K media (I only have 16GB)

But FCP says 8GB recommended for 4K editing

Is that because FCP is native to Apple...?

Is it wiser to choose an Apple product to avoid spinning beach balls?

And could FCP really run well on this MM?
MacMini Apple M2 Pro
Memory 16 GB

I worked with Pro Tools for years (on a different computer) and would always get those spinning beach balls even though had way more RAM than was required. I thought that might be because it wasn't native but I don't know for sure.

T.Mash

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
I'm new to video editing and struggling to find the right tool for my specific needs, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking to create a video with four basic tracks or layers: Video / Audio (voiceover) / Audio (music) / and Text.

My goal is to overlay a layer of text onto the video, and synchronize this text with the voiceover track. It doesn't have to be perfectly synced, just has to flow along with the voiceover so the viewer can read and listen in unison. So the text should be presented gradually, It's a bit like subtitles, with the exception that it's shorter lines of text -- only about 4-7 words at a time.

My search has been frustrating thus far because I lack the terminology to describe this capability. Most of the search results I'm getting are about text-to-video AI which is not what i'm looking for.

I've explored several online AI video editors like Pictory, Invideo, Canva, Murf, and others, but none seem to support this type of text overlay. They typically allow you to attach text to a video clip, which means it remains on the screen for the entire duration of the clip, regardless of whether the clip is 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

I need a tool that will allow me to put the text on it's own separate track or layer, so I can manipulate it separately from the video track.

I'm sure this can be done using proper video editing software, and that is the way I'll go if need be. However I may prefer an AI tool online because they do streamline the process, as I'd be using stock footage and stock music clips, and possibly AI voiceovers.

OR if there's a software program that has a template I could get started with quickly, or that you think would work well for what I need without a steep learning curve, that could work too, I just don't want to get bogged down for weeks learning another program, and then bogged down editing, ugh.

So if anyone knows of a solution or any suggestions, I'd appreciate your input.

Also as far as performance, my MacMini has done OK with the online video editors, a bit of lag here and there but nothing really disruptive. But I'm not at all confident that it could handle video editing software. These videos will be about 30 minutes long, if that matters. Please advise me on this too if you have any thoughts.

MacMini Apple M2 Pro
Memory 16 GB
Ventura 13.4.1
Get DaVinci Resolve from BlackMagic - it's free and a great software.

Reactions: smithdr

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Get DaVinci Resolve

Yeah. Seeing how super shallow the learning curve is, hm?

🙄​

My goal is to overlay a layer of text onto the video, and synchronize this text with the voiceover track.
Is the text already transcribed? If not, there are endless tools both free and commercial that will do that. Or you can simply do them manually in iMovie as seen here. The procedure is nearly identical in Final Cut Pro of which you can download a free 90-day trial version. But if this is a one-off, you don't intend on making money with video anytime soon or simply want to do it on the cheap, then maybe give CapCut a whirl. It. too, has some nice subtitling options.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I did try iMovie once. I was annoyed that my entire iTunes library was automatically imported, potentially cluttering up my process, and the only way to remove it all was to move my iTunes Media folder, essentially hiding it from iMovie. I thought nah, moving my Music folder could lead to a bunch of headaches, having to shuffle things around & point them to the new location. It felt like a rabbit hole that I didn't want to go down.

That said, if anyone knows of a more elegant way to clear out the music library on iMovie, I'm all ears.

I have other concerns as well. I'm not 100% clear on this but I've read that iMovie doesn't support 4k 60fps, while some other sources say it does but with a workaround I think. Also 3rd party plugins aren't supported & that kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Yesterday when I started this thread I hadn't yet considered video quality or plugins, but now that I am considering it my criteria has changed somewhat. I still want the capabilities I listed in my OP (four basic tracks or layers: Video / Audio (voiceover) / Audio (music) / and Text), but I also want to ensure that I'm not gonna learn a new program and shortly thereafter bump into limitations because I chose the easy route. In other words, I don't wanna waste time learning an easy program and then afterwards find out I can't export in 4K 60fps, for example.

So I'm reconsidering taking on the burden of a steeper learning curve if it's gonna save me from limitations and headaches in the future. But I can't see a scenario where I would need or use even close to half the capabilities that FCP offers. I do want the highest quality exports, and as smooth a workflow as possible, with 3rd party plugin capabilities.

So my question is what are the programs that could be recommended, that are maybe somewhere between iMovie and FCP in terms of features and cost, that would meet my criteria with a little room to grow?
It's not imported into iMovie so much as it's being referenced from the music library. There is a search function in case you're looking for a specific song but if I remember correctly, only imported songs or songs bought in iTunes are available to use.

With that said, it sounds like Final Cut Pro is more your style. I'm a relative novice with Final Cut Pro but get basic, professional calibre work very easily. For what you're looking to do, with room to grow, you'll catch on very quickly. I can't recommend it enough.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
It's not imported into iMovie so much as it's being referenced from the music library.
Yes, good point. Something I meant to mention also. There is simply no way that iMovie just imports your entire iTunes (Music) library willy-nilly. I'm pretty sure he's grossly misunderstanding something. The only thing that will in fact be imported/copied is whatever you use in your project. Nothing more, nothing less.

And yes, while Final Cut Pro is most certainly a superb video editor, the whole subtitling thing is definitely not (yet) one of its strong points. I've used a plethora of different apps to get them done, especially when I needed actual titles as opposed to captions. From AIKO to Descript to Transcriber and CapCut or even Lumberjack Builder.

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

capcut

Reactions: Zwhaler

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
It costs a couple hundred dollars, but Final Cut Pro with Compressor will give you the tools to easily produce these multi-layer edits and export them at the highest compressed quality (h.265 at manual bitrate with 320kbps AAC audio out)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.