Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Well, 8GB RAM should be sufficient for your needs for next few years. But going 16Gb is probably safer in case your usage changes. BTW, its quite possible that 16GB will be a standard in the new model.

If 16 is the base model, should I pick storage instead?

m00s3y

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2016
The Macbook starts with 256gb of storage so I think that'll probably be the base for the Pro. In that case I'll just upgrade the RAM to 16GB.

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
Certainly not unreasonable, and I am hopeful it will happen but I wouldn't bank on it either.

I'll hold onto some hope for it. I don't upgrade computers often, I just want to be able to store absolutely everything on my computer and a TB would do that and then some for the foreseeable future. I have externals and whatnot, but it's just not as 'elegant' I guess. But with that said, I'm not about spending 2300 in the current setup for that luxury. I'm not even really sure I'm about spending 1799 and may opt for the 512 assuming it takes the mid price tier.

halfbad

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Welcome to Mac,

Get 16 gb ram, first. You cannot upgrade the ram currently so future proofing is smart, as well as giving more bandwidth for what you are doing. Once you hit the ram ceiling there isn't much you can do, but for storage there is options.

For storage there are solutions, currently in mbp you can upgrade the ssd blade. Alternately you can go cloud, or external storage, or get one of those small USB adapter, that can hold up to 128 or 256gb I believe.

Reactions: jjiangweilan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.