Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Sorry to said I am shock people still watching DVD? and rip it to keep it? :eek::eek::eek:
Unless the film you want only in DVD format then it is different story.

I don't watch DVD since appear of Blu-ray and any film below 720p is a no go for me now.

How to watch DVD in 4K TV now! even in 1080p TV also is very bad quality.

-------------------------------------------
By the way I do rip my blu-ray, I am windows user and below is my process.

1) Bypass the copyright protect using DVDFab Passkey 9.
2) RIP using VidCoder.
3) Meta data match using Plex
4) Playback at Apple TV 4K using Infuse with Plex Client

There are still some things on DVD not available anywhere else. I have a 4 season TV Show that is coming out next week that is not available on streaming or digital downloads that I'll be ripping. This thread is very helpful.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I have another idea which may indeed work for you!
Instead of ripping all of those DVDs, since you have Apple TV, do you have Amazon Prime? We've just got it for £59 for one year.
I'm thinking that many, many of your DVDs may be on Amazon Prime to watch at anytime - it's certainly the case for me - I won't be renting many iTunes films ever again now as this seems to be decent.

1. Can you watch those films on Amazon Prime on your second house?
2. Maybe invest in a really beautifully made BluRay player like the Panasonic UB9000 or Oppo etc and experience your disc collection to absolute perfection in the house that you live in the most or call 'home'.

Just an idea but to me, a great one and one that would save you thousands of hours of hard work and stress of NAS, servers, breaking hard drives in 2 or 3 years time, WiFi problems etc.

Maybe just rip the ones that you love the most. But surely a disc collection to someone who loves discs is like a beautiful book collection that you'd never replace? I'm passionate about books, my house is full of them and i could NEVER replace them with an iPad or Kindle. We were talking about this last night at the gym, saying that I have books that are 25 years old and still beautiful whereas Apple expects their iPads to be useless after 3 or 4 years of OS updates. Pretty shallow all of this tech huh? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.