Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I remember long ago getting a drawing program for my first computer and then realizing that I have no artistic talent and struggle with stick figures. So note taking would be the best use for me. Maybe one day I will give it a shot but right now pen and paper rule here.

Pen/Pencil is great for PDF document markups, and really useful in PowerPoint as there is a really slick feature when it converts your lines into shapes

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
I have both. I love the Apple Pencil (smooth and sensitive), and hate the Surface Pen (too much friction).

Agreed. The SP pen feels like drawing on a rubber mat. It’s slow, too frictiony. I haven’t used a SP in a bit, so maybe it’s better now. All I know is that I wasn’t impressed with the Surface or it’s pen.

I also own a Wacom Cintiq, and I can barely use the thing now. The iPad Pro is just so much better in regards to the technology. It feels like there’s 3 feet of glass between the pen tip and the cursor on the Cintiq (this is called ‘paralaxing’)...

I basically went full-time digital drawing back in 2008 (I’ve had Wacom Intous’, Wacom MobileStudio, a couple Wacom Cintiq’s, Surface Pros, and now iPad Pro)...the iPad Pro / Pencil combo is the best experience I’ve had.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I don't own both, so I can't really comment, but it's 2018 - does the Surface Pro Pen still uses AAAA battery? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.