Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hello All,

Just wanted some opinions to get the best bang for my buck with switching from AT&T (who I've been with since the 3GS) to T-Mobile. I see that their current unlimited 'one' plan says that it's for a limited time right now (the one they just introduced the day after Verizon rolled out their new unlimited plan).

Do you think it would be worth switching now, or, since I have an iPhone 6 and plan to upgrade to the next iteration of the iPhone this fall I should hold off for any 'get a free iPhone when you switch carriers' deals that may roll out this coming fall with the introduction of the new iPhone as it has the past couple of years?

Also, if any T-Mobile users could let me know how the service is in CT and MA that would be a plus. A web search shows all kinds of results.

Thanks!

ZLM

Edit: I should also mention my wife has a 6s, and would be switching to the plan with me as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: NativeTxn

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I am ready to jump ship from att grandfathered UDP... How is Tmobile in Southern California?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello All,

Just wanted some opinions to get the best bang for my buck with switching from AT&T (who I've been with since the 3GS) to T-Mobile. I see that their current unlimited 'one' plan says that it's for a limited time right now (the one they just introduced the day after Verizon rolled out their new unlimited plan).

Do you think it would be worth switching now, or, since I have an iPhone 6 and plan to upgrade to the next iteration of the iPhone this fall I should hold off for any 'get a free iPhone when you switch carriers' deals that may roll out this coming fall with the introduction of the new iPhone as it has the past couple of years?

Also, if any T-Mobile users could let me know how the service is in CT and MA that would be a plus. A web search shows all kinds of results.

Thanks!

ZLM

Edit: I should also mention my wife has a 6s, and would be switching to the plan with me as well.
I would jump to T-Mobile now.

Currently there's a nuclear option that to me levels all playing fields regardless of promotions now or in the future.

T-Mobile has been doing this thing called 'Hook-Up' codes. Essentially, every T-Mob employee is given one of these codes and they can grant it to five customers each. The code is good for a 20% PERMANENT DISCOUNT FOR LIFE.

But only new customers can get these codes (yeah, I tried using one, I'm ineligible). If you wait until the next iPhone shows up there may not this deal.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How do you get a hookup code? And it's 20% off of what exactly?
The way I read it is that it's 20% off the cost of each line.

You'll need to either get a code off the net (Reddit has been posting them) or find an employee who has a valide code and is willing to give it to you.

LaloG

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
Called customer service and the rep didn't know what it was. He asked his manager and basically said you get them from store employees and they are not valid for the current $100 unlimited promo so not sure how much of a difference it'll make.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Called customer service and the rep didn't know what it was. He asked his manager and basically said you get them from store employees and they are not valid for the current $100 unlimited promo so not sure how much of a difference it'll make.
I am not sure that is true.. because if you go to this website //promotions.t-mobile.com/theTmobileHookup
the promo is specifically for the T-mobile one plan and it says if you add a line, that line also gets the discount as well!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, store employees can give them to you. But some store employees have been posting them online.

From the page to enter the code…
To get hooked up, enter your exclusive code and the phone number you’re switching. You’ll score 20% off T-Mobile ONE™ for the life of the account, and now you can add Unlimited HD Streaming — free of charge. This killer deal even applies to our new 2 lines for $100 offer. And if you need more lines, no problem—get 20% off those too! Your discount starts on your first bill. Hurry - offer ends March 31, 2017.

Don't think the manager knew what was going on.

Reactions: zachlegomaniac

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks everyone. Crazy if the T-Mobile network works well for me. I am paying att about 110$ for 3GB of shared data now.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I just switched to T-Mobile from ATT. Had the grandfather UDP plan and been with ATT for 14+ years.

Current T-Mobile deal is best yet, 2 lines, unlimited everything, $100 all in. Even the one line at $70 all in is a great deal.

If you are porting as a new customer, check Slickdealz, Twitter, Reddit or just ask in your local T-Mobile store to try and get the 20% code.

With the code it's $56 for one line, $80 for two.

Plus, don't forget to use the $150 T-Mobile bonus code after switching.

I highly doubt there will be any better deals than this.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I am doing the same today. I live in Orange County, CA and have a grandfathered UDP with AT&T, and am going to T-Mobile. I was very scared that the service would be horrible.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I am doing the same today. I live in Orange County, CA and have a grandfathered UDP with AT&T, and am going to T-Mobile. I was very scared that the service would be horrible.

I was hesitant myself but figured if I don't like t-mobile, can now switch back to unlimited ATT or Verizon plan.

So far, service is the same or better on T-Mobile in NYC.

Reactions: CoriG

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I've been on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan for the last 8 years. I was hesitant, especially because I didn't want a hard pull on my credit report, but was able to track down a 20% off code and just pulled the trigger.

$56/month for unlimited everything is just too good to pass up. And if T-Mobile sucks, then I'll just switch to Verizon in September with the AUP.

What's this $150 bonus code I've seen referenced here?

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I've been on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan for the last 8 years. I was hesitant, especially because I didn't want a hard pull on my credit report, but was able to track down a 20% off code and just pulled the trigger.

$56/month for unlimited everything is just too good to pass up. And if T-Mobile sucks, then I'll just switch to Verizon in September with the AUP.

What's this $150 bonus code I've seen referenced here?

If you just switched, go here:

https://promotions.t-mobile.com/OfferSearch

Enter your info and promo code '17switcher'

You'll get a $150 visa from T-Mobile

Reactions: Applejuiced

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
T-Mobile, as with any carrier, is useless if their coverage happens to be poor in the areas where you need to use it. If there are no T-Mobile users that you can ask about reception I'd see if I could get a T-Mobile Sim under their 30 day tryout to see if it works where you need it.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/coverage-guarantee

I dropped my AT&T unlimited plan and switched to T-Mobile some years back. Just wish I had done it years earlier.

LaloG

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
I was able to track down a code at my local store. Have an appointment to switch tomorrow. This deal is too good to pass up. Been with att since the original iPhone with unlimited data. My brother has tmobile and he says it's great.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was able to track down a code at my local store. Have an appointment to switch tomorrow. This deal is too good to pass up. Been with att since the original iPhone with unlimited data. My brother has tmobile and he says it's great.
Glad you found a code!

Reactions: LaloG

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
So glad I switched. Service is MUCH better with T-Mobile in my area. Went from one bar to five in my apartment.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I switched yesterday, their coverage in PNW is excellent.

The added tethering, int'l roaming features, twenty percent discount and rebate cards won me over. At&t wouldn't budge with tethering so I left them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.