Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onyx_eagle7

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2017
I was able to track down a code at my local store. Have an appointment to switch tomorrow. This deal is too good to pass up. Been with att since the original iPhone with unlimited data. My brother has tmobile and he says it's great.

Could you share / PM your code?

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
So I just called and they are sending me the SIM cards. I paid off both phones I was leasing through AT&T, but the rep said there may still be an ETF and then proceeded to put me on hold for half an hour until I hung up because I had to get back from my lunch break.

Does anyone have experience leaving AT&T after they have paid off their leased phones and are just left with their monthly bill? I'll try them again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just put me on hold indefinitely again. Because T-Mobile handles the switch upon calling the activation line I don't want to be hit blindly with some crazy thing from AT&T. Maybe if I go to a store they won't be able to avoid me, but they seem to have the scare tactic stuff down pretty well.

The T-Mobile sales rep said just to call the direct activation line once my two sim cards arrive to activate the lines on T-Mobile and then go to the promotions site to enter 17switcher for the $300 visa card. He said if I can find a code from an employee after all that is done I can get the 20% off. I'm afraid that by the time I get my lines activated all of the codes will be used up, but what can you do?

Does this all sound correct to people who have switched? Anyone had problems or incurred ETF fees after their leased devices are paid off with AT&T.

Thanks again!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
He said if I can find a code from an employee after all that is done I can get the 20% off. I'm afraid that by the time I get my lines activated all of the codes will be used up, but what can you do?
When you're ready, I'd hit up http://reddit.com/r/tmobile and ask if anyone has a code they'd be willing to share with you.

The T-Mobile reddit page is not official, but there are many, many T-Mob employees that subscribe. One of them is even an engineer for T-Mobile who lives/works in my area.

I've seen codes handed out for Los Angeles and back east just for visiting an employee's local store. You've got until the end of March so it's shouldn't be too hard.

goblutes

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
OK--bare with me...

Long time ATT customer. I finally bailed and went to MetroPCS. Then T-Mobile drops two lines from $120 to $100. Now I want to switch to T-Mobile. I also want to take advantage of the $150 per line for porting. I don't qualify since MetroPCS is on the T-Mobile network. Can I port to a super cheap prepaid plan on Sprint/Verizon/ATT and then port to T-Mobile to take advantage of the $150 per line? Can I do this in one day? Also it is not clear to me if I can get a prorated refund from MetroPCS for leaving prior to the end of my month of service.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Does anyone have experience leaving AT&T after they have paid off their leased phones and are just left with their monthly bill? I'll try them again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just put me on hold indefinitely again. Because T-Mobile handles the switch upon calling the activation line I don't want to be hit blindly with some crazy thing from AT&T. Maybe if I go to a store they won't be able to avoid me, but they seem to have the scare tactic stuff down pretty well.

I ported my number out of AT&T at the beginning of the month to T-Mobile. My 6s was being paid via NEXT installments. I kept waiting and waiting for the final bill in the mail so that I could make my account whole in order to submit a request to AT&T to unlock my 6s so I can use it on T-Mobile. Earlier this week I called AT&T and the rep told me that it takes them 30 once you port your number out to generate the "final bill."

I should have paid off the phone first before I switched that way I could have used the 6s off the bat. Fortunately I'm using my SE for the time being.

LaloG

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
Could you share / PM your code?
No can do. I'm still waiting to use my code as att didn't unlock my phone due to their system being updated. Call your local store and ask. Each employee only gets 5 codes to give out. Good luck.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
What are these codes?
It's something that a T-Mobile employee has; it's 20% off your bill if you start a new service and port a line. Each employee only has five times for the code to be used, so a lot of people are resorting to all methods just to get one. Easiest way, which is what I did, was I called a local T-Mobile store, asked for the code, then visited whoever could give me one.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Took me literally 3 minutes to find a code on Twitter.

Just search "tmobile 20%" and filter the most recent tweets. I even saw people post their codes publicly so you don't even have to message anyone about it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's something that a T-Mobile employee has; it's 20% off your bill if you start a new service and port a line. Each employee only has five times for the code to be used, so a lot of people are resorting to all methods just to get one. Easiest way, which is what I did, was I called a local T-Mobile store, asked for the code, then visited whoever could give me one.
Cool. Is it one code per line? My friend left tmobile for Googl Fi a few months ago but he would probably come back for this deal. I found on reddit that google fi is applicable, but I couldn't tell if it's a code for an account or for a line.

Kinda bummed I can't do this. This would save us some cash, albeit only like $5 lol.
[doublepost=1487927205][/doublepost]
OK--bare with me...

Long time ATT customer. I finally bailed and went to MetroPCS. Then T-Mobile drops two lines from $120 to $100. Now I want to switch to T-Mobile. I also want to take advantage of the $150 per line for porting. I don't qualify since MetroPCS is on the T-Mobile network. Can I port to a super cheap prepaid plan on Sprint/Verizon/ATT and then port to T-Mobile to take advantage of the $150 per line? Can I do this in one day? Also it is not clear to me if I can get a prorated refund from MetroPCS for leaving prior to the end of my month of service.
The fine print (granted I read it on twitter) says the lines need be 30+ days old, if I am understanding correctly.

Biggington

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Took me literally 3 minutes to find a code on Twitter.

Just search "tmobile 20%" and filter the most recent tweets. I even saw people post their codes publicly so you don't even have to message anyone about it.
I had no luck with this one :(

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Cool. Is it one code per line? My friend left tmobile for Googl Fi a few months ago but he would probably come back for this deal. I found on reddit that google fi is applicable, but I couldn't tell if it's a code for an account or for a line.

Kinda bummed I can't do this. This would save us some cash, albeit only like $5 lol.
[doublepost=1487927205][/doublepost]
The fine print (granted I read it on twitter) says the lines need be 30+ days old, if I am understanding correctly.
I believe you just need one code, apply it to the line being ported, and the discount applies to the account for life.

Reactions: lordofthereef

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Still having trouble obtaining a code. If anyone has any more advice it would be helpful. just ported over numbers yesterday and am officially using t mobile. Thank you.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Wow. Added a 3rd line for free (brother). Got 20% off bills for life. Unlimited everything for $80 all taxes and fees included. $27/person. Reception has been great all weekend. Thanks for everyone's help. $450 visa gift card to boot. Peace AT&T.

Man this is what I would love to get my family on, what a friggin deal, and in your case, $80 for 3 lines unlimited is unbelievable!!!

but I think the $100+third free line ends tonight, and thats not enough time for my parents to decide if they want to leap or not

Every day I want to switch to T-Mo and go solo, just on principle. but I wont for now,

Reactions: Applejuiced

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Man this is what I would love to get my family on, what a friggin deal, and in your case, $80 for 3 lines unlimited is unbelievable!!!

but I think the $100+third free line ends tonight, and thats not enough time for my parents to decide if they want to leap or not

Every day I want to switch to T-Mo and go solo, just on principle. but I wont for now,

I thought it ran through the end of the month, but I could be wrong. What I found out from the store manager in my area, however, is that they run crazy promotions all the time. AT&T isn't quite as worried about their pricing because they've got one hand in DirectTV now (and bundling it with their mobile customers). Verizon is in a similar situation. T-Mobile offers mobile only. He told me not to worry if I miss a promo because they run them like crazy to try and grab Verizon and AT&T customers.

I was looking for someone to get on the free third line and my brother came to mind (even though I'm married and out of the house). Just find a couple of very close friends or relatives (cousins, whatever) to jump into a deal like this with. My experience was that they're super willing to work with you to make you switch so I wouldn't fret about the current deals expiring too much.

Having said that, if you pay 70$ for the one plan (for one user) and get the 20% off promo for people switching through the end of March, you're still only looking at a 54$ bill monthly for everything unlimited. Might be worth considering for the time being (depending on what you're paying with your family). God, I was paying over $100 for my wife and I with 3 GB of SHARED data!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I thought it ran through the end of the month, but I could be wrong. What I found out from the store manager in my area, however, is that they run crazy promotions all the time. AT&T isn't quite as worried about their pricing because they've got one hand in DirectTV now (and bundling it with their mobile customers). Verizon is in a similar situation. T-Mobile offers mobile only. He told me not to worry if I miss a promo because they run them like crazy to try and grab Verizon and AT&T customers.

I was looking for someone to get on the free third line and my brother came to mind (even though I'm married and out of the house). Just find a couple of very close friends or relatives (cousins, whatever) to jump into a deal like this with. My experience was that they're super willing to work with you to make you switch so I wouldn't fret about the current deals expiring too much.

Having said that, if you pay 70$ for the one plan (for one user) and get the 20% off promo for people switching through the end of March, you're still only looking at a 54$ bill monthly for everything unlimited. Might be worth considering for the time being (depending on what you're paying with your family). God, I was paying over $100 for my wife and I with 3 GB of SHARED data!

So u can get 20 percent off single line? Hmm

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Sometimes if you talk to the right person, things can happen. And things can still happen even if they tell you they can't.

I added two data lines within a month of each other. Both are for devices on a promotional deal where T-Mob credits you a bill credit every month for two years making the device free. That part was easy.

But I wondered if both lines might somehow qualify for T-Mob's two line free Black Friday deal last year even when I was well past that time frame.

T-Force told me NO. Twice.

Well, about three months ago I started getting a credit I was not anticipating. Turns out someone at T-Mob put my two data lines in for the Black Friday deal.

So, now, not only are the devices free, so is the service for those two lines. Which is really cool, because both devices are 6GB monthly with Data Stash. I've already rolled 23GB into one and 39GB into another. All of it high speed data and not subject to deprioritization!

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Sometimes if you talk to the right person, things can happen. And things can still happen even if they tell you they can't.

I added two data lines within a month of each other. Both are for devices on a promotional deal where T-Mob credits you a bill credit every month for two years making the device free. That part was easy.

But I wondered if both lines might somehow qualify for T-Mob's two line free Black Friday deal last year even when I was well past that time frame.

T-Force told me NO. Twice.

Well, about three months ago I started getting a credit I was not anticipating. Turns out someone at T-Mob put my two data lines in for the Black Friday deal.

So, now, not only are the devices free, so is the service for those two lines. Which is really cool, because both devices are 6GB monthly with Data Stash. I've already rolled 23GB into one and 39GB into another. All of it high speed data and not subject to deprioritization!

This is how I got the 20% off code. A little persistence. When I was young and in business for myself a really well-to-do client told me, "everything is negotiable." He has been proven right over the past decade since he told me that (especially now that I'm in outside sales myself).
[doublepost=1488755155][/doublepost]
So u can get 20 percent off single line? Hmm

Yup. You'll find some great links earlier on in this thread. DM me if you need any help. Every T-Mobile employee has a total of 5 codes they can give out between now and the end of the month that is good for 20% off your bill for life. If the business you work for uses T-Mo you get an automatic $40 credit on your bill monthly, also.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.