Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but there appears to be quite a few 'peeps here that undertand iPhoto so.....

How do I rename a folder? I right-click a folder but no option exists.

picture1ls7.jpg

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I hated iPhoto when I first switched, but found that using Finder wasn't any better (for me). Now, all I use is iPhoto, although I still have a few issues with it. I hate that it saves a duplicate of your photo if you manipulate it. While it is nice that it gives you the option to go back, I wish there was an option to (easily) delete it as well.

Totally agree with you. Once you get yor head round letting iPhoto do everything it is very good at its job. I just name the albums and chuck the photos in the relevant album. :)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I use iPhoto. When I switched it took a bit of work getting it set with my old pictures but it does all the hard work for me now.

Binford

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
I just switched to mac too. :) (man what a great decision!).

I haven't found iphoto to be that great, but I think its a great program to view my favorites.

Once I get my pictures (amongst a million other things) organized, esp with my external hd's and such, i plan to keep my processed raw files on my external, and keep screen size jpegs of my favorites on my MBP hard drive. I also kept (and plan to continue to) keep full size jpegs alongside my nef files on my externals as well.

I'll use Iphoto to manage the "favorites".

We don't have to get into semantics...but it has both the words "enter" AND "return" on the key I believe :D

haha that's what mine says too!

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Aperture is really the best software out there in my opinion. iPhoto only lets you store 10,000 images and does not suppourt RAW so keep that in mind. i use aperture for everything its been forever seince ive used photoshop. iPhoto is ok if all you use is P&S anything else i would use a dedicated APP like lightroom or Aperture

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I don't use iPhoto, instead I just have a folder that all images go into, I edit them with photoshop and then save them back to that same folder. This method works good for me, I don't have the money left to buy Aperture.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
...iPhoto's sorting mechanisms which leave things in date folders that may be tricky to export later,

Ignore the iPhoto folder in the Finder. You never need to look in there. Just drag and drop the pictures directly from iPhoto. If you're using Apple Mail, you can also email pictures directly from iphoto as well.

iPhoto works best if you just think of it as "the place where your photos are" and ignore what it's doing underneath. You don't need to know.

iPhoto only lets you store 10,000 images

From apple.com: "The iPhoto photo library is designed to support up to 250,000 photos."

and does not suppourt RAW

From apple.com: "iPhoto lets you import JPEG images, RAW images, and MPEG-4 video clips."

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
We don't have to get into semantics...but it has both the words "enter" AND "return" on the key I believe :D

Actually my computer has separate enter and return keys (iMac, standard apple keyboard). They actually have different functions in some apps. For example, in MS Word, shift-return is a line-break, but shift-enter is a page break.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
From apple.com: "iPhoto lets you import JPEG images, RAW images, and MPEG-4 video clips."
There are many RAW file types out there, and iPhoto/Apple does not support them all. The RAW files from my Fuji is only supported by Photoshop with the latest RAW plugin (ACD 3.6 i think) so that's what I'm forced to use for now. Plus Bridge seems to work quite nicely as an alternative to iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.