Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

testingg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2021
I'm really liking my iPhone so far but I have one particular use case I don't know how to achieve with iOS yet. Can anyone explain how I can do the following on iOS?:

Every day I need to transfer a small number of audio and video files to the phone, have them in a playlist, be able to see their files names, and be able to listen to them.

On Android I used an ftp app (primitive ftpd) to transfer the files, and the VLC app to play them.

My computer is running macOS 10.12 (and I can't upgrade it due to a particular software requirements), so my phone does not show up in Finder when I plug it into my phone via Lightning to USB cable, so I use AirDrop to transfer files to the phone.

The problems I am having on iOS:

1. I can't get the videos and audio files to transfer to the same place. When I transfer videos (.mp4) to the iPhone, it does not ask if I want to save them to VLC. It automatically puts them in "Photos".

2. I can't see the file names of the videos in the "Photos" app, just the thumbnails.

3. AirDrop renames the video files to things like "IMG_0045", "IMG_0046", instead of their actual file names.

3. It is much more time consuming to create quick playlists in VLC for iOS. On VLC for Android, you just click on any file and click "Append" and it adds it to a Now Playing playlist. This is exactly what I want in a media player for iOS.

4. Playlists of audio files in VLC for iOS do not play continuously if my screen is not on. It does not matter if the playlist is set to "Repeat None", "Repeat One", or "Repeat All", all it does is "Repeat None" if the screen is off (for example if the phone is in my pocket). I think if the screen is on, it will play through the playlist. Otherwise I have to click "Previous Track" and the "Next Track" for it to start playing, and if I don't, it just stays stuck and does not do anything.

I have tried a few other apps. KMPlayer and Infuse do not play audio files, just videos. nPlayer has ads, foobar2000 does not allow you to seek through audio files (?!).

Does anyone have any suggestions for what apps I can use on iOS to can achieve what I want?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.