Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elite953

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
Pakistan
Hello everyone, i wanted to share some of my experience with you.
I used iPhone nearly 7 years ago which was iPhone 4 i suppose :):cool:, then i instantly switched to galaxy s4, since i was fed up of iPhone camera quality back those days, and messed up IOS interface and complex way of data and photos transfer from my sony vaio laptop to iPhone. Anyways, Galaxy S4 was instant hit and i was loving the new android experience. Time moved gradually smooth but one thing which kept bugging me was getting very late android software updates on galaxy phones. I moved onto Galaxy S6, S7, S8 and S9plus versions. However iPhone camera quality kept improving over the years, but not upto the mark compared to galaxy cameras, until iPhone 11 pro model arrived in the market. Though i admit, IOS interface is still the same for ages and i pray that they change it to something more soothing just like android did with one UI. Now finally i cannot resist the temptation of buying new iPhone 11 model. I have my reasons, i know there is Huawei pro models and Google Pixel 4xl ,recently Galaxy S20 and S20ultra released which is gorgeous.
But IOS suits me for mainly two reasons if you compare it to android.

1. IOS never gets slow even after usage of 24 months (Both of my brothers have been using iPhones Xs for almost 2 years and their phones are still running smoothly).
2. All IOS devices gets update consistently worldwide on same time.

Moreover, i am MacBook pro 13'' 2015 user for past 4 years, and iPhone would sync to my MBP with ease compared to Galaxy phones in the market. So, after lots of discussion and thought, i am going to buy iPhone 11pro max 64gb version next week. I didnt go for 256gb model since i have great space in my icloud and i don't have huge photos and videos library in my laptop. Neither am i a professional photographer nor i make lots of videos. I just use phone for daily day to day tasks, use 4G LTE most of the time, and stay in touch with my business clients on WhatsApp and occasional selfies and photos on main events.

I would definitely appreciate your comments and reviews which could help me in future.

Reactions: russell_314

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Good story. I'm sure there are others who want to go the other way.Both OSes are acceptable. Neither is great

johny328i

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
The bad thing about Samsung phones, is their ROMs. Samsung experience.

Take for an example a Huawei flagship - you never get slow downs, even after 2-3 years of usage. No crashes, no need to restart the phone. The same goes even for Xiaomi.

But Samsung - the overpriced crap of the Android camp.

As for ios - I'm currently on a Xs with 13.3 and I get more app crashes for a month, than I got with my last Huawei for 2 years. It's just a disaster. The only reason I'm sticking with this phone, is because of the compact size.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Switched from the OP 7 Pro to the IPhone 11 but only because of the Apple Watch. The OP 7Pro runs perfect, android gives you way more opportunities and a file system. IOS is just simple, nothing new same design but it just works.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
My last touch with a Samsung phone is with a S10. I just forgot how their ROM was called. One UI is still crap.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
I cant remember a time where samsung's camera was better than the iphone's one. Are we talking gimmicks and features and numbers as we usual do with samsung?

Because Samsung in my mind is nothing but numbers these days. And yes I own both an iphone X and a samsung A70. Sure it is not high end but that 32 megapixel camera it has (versus the "puny" 12mp one on iphone) is a complete f***ing joke. They just throw around numbers so the ignorant can claim that he has the bigger e-penis.

Reactions: simonmet

waquzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Hello everyone, i wanted to share some of my experience with you.
I used iPhone nearly 7 years ago which was iPhone 4 i suppose :):cool:, then i instantly switched to galaxy s4, since i was fed up of iPhone camera quality back those days, and messed up IOS interface and complex way of data and photos transfer from my sony vaio laptop to iPhone. Anyways, Galaxy S4 was instant hit and i was loving the new android experience. Time moved gradually smooth but one thing which kept bugging me was getting very late android software updates on galaxy phones. I moved onto Galaxy S6, S7, S8 and S9plus versions. However iPhone camera quality kept improving over the years, but not upto the mark compared to galaxy cameras, until iPhone 11 pro model arrived in the market. Though i admit, IOS interface is still the same for ages and i pray that they change it to something more soothing just like android did with one UI. Now finally i cannot resist the temptation of buying new iPhone 11 model. I have my reasons, i know there is Huawei pro models and Google Pixel 4xl ,recently Galaxy S20 and S20ultra released which is gorgeous.
But IOS suits me for mainly two reasons if you compare it to android.

1. IOS never gets slow even after usage of 24 months (Both of my brothers have been using iPhones Xs for almost 2 years and their phones are still running smoothly).
2. All IOS devices gets update consistently worldwide on same time.

Moreover, i am MacBook pro 13'' 2015 user for past 4 years, and iPhone would sync to my MBP with ease compared to Galaxy phones in the market. So, after lots of discussion and thought, i am going to buy iPhone 11pro max 64gb version next week. I didnt go for 256gb model since i have great space in my icloud and i don't have huge photos and videos library in my laptop. Neither am i a professional photographer nor i make lots of videos. I just use phone for daily day to day tasks, use 4G LTE most of the time, and stay in touch with my business clients on WhatsApp and occasional selfies and photos on main events.

I would definitely appreciate your comments and reviews which could help me in future.

The only time that Samsung Galaxy had a better camera than the iPhone was with Galaxy S2. Ever since then the iPhone has always had the edge when it comes to the camera

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My main issue with Samsung devices (S10 plus) was notifications. Due to android doze when the phone is locked for a certain amount of time you will not get them through instantly. There were times where 15 notifications came through at once which were all 7-8 mins after they should have been so most times when I unlocked my phone all I got was loads of notifications which is poor for a 1k Device...

It was a great phone for most things though but notifications let it down so overall the software let it down but hardware it’s great

Also going from Apple Watch to galaxy watch is a massive drop off

Reactions: PaddyFowler

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
The only time that Samsung Galaxy had a better camera than the iPhone was with Galaxy S2. Ever since then the iPhone has always had the edge when it comes to the camera
Depends if you include night mode, s6 thru s10 takes consistently better night photo than iPhones during that time, my x struggled hard against my gf s7 to s10, now my 11 is on par with her s10 plus in night mode

PaddyFowler

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
My main issue with Samsung devices (S10 plus) was notifications. Due to android doze when the phone is locked for a certain amount of time you will not get them through instantly. There were times where 15 notifications came through at once which were all 7-8 mins after they should have been so most times when I unlocked my phone all I got was loads of notifications which is poor for a 1k Device...

It was a great phone for most things though but notifications let it down so overall the software let it down but hardware it’s great

Also going from Apple Watch to galaxy watch is a massive drop off

This - 100% my experience also, carrying both an S10+ and an iPhone XS.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
samsung experience isn’t a thing anymore.. it’s now called “one UI”. try some of the newer phones sometime .. don’t base your review of samsung off a galaxy S5 lol.
I never understood why people base their opinions on a current phone because they had one 7-10 years so.

Reactions: aue123

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I used a Samsung S2 and then a Google/Huawei Nexus 6p. I always went for phones that were easily ROMmable because you can't trust the phone producer to also produce Android updates. With good ROM support, that disadvantage is out of the door. I loved being able to swap the decent default launcher for e.g. Nova Launcher. It allows you to reposition and resize widgets with a resolution of half an icon. Total flexibility! I had my agenda on one screen, then weather + most used apps on a second, then of course all the rest in the drawer. On iOS, you can change the order of the icons. Hurray! What a disappointment.

But the iPhone integrates much better with my mac + iPad: sharing Wi-Fi passwords, instant hotspots, AirDrop, ... Third party apps are mostly identical anyway (Outlook, gmail, Trello, ...) so it's just a matter of finding your way in the first-party apps like calendar. I prefer the elegant integration of an iPhone at the moment, but if there was a tempting phone with good ROM support, I could also just switch back without a worry.

Reactions: Digger148

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I cant remember a time where samsung's camera was better than the iphone's one. Are we talking gimmicks and features and numbers as we usual do with samsung?

Because Samsung in my mind is nothing but numbers these days. And yes I own both an iphone X and a samsung A70. Sure it is not high end but that 32 megapixel camera it has (versus the "puny" 12mp one on iphone) is a complete f***ing joke. They just throw around numbers so the ignorant can claim that he has the bigger e-penis.

Samsung had a better camera quite a few times.

Lol, Megapixel count don’t mean anything, why would you say “puny” 12MP when there is so much ore to go on, the Galaxy Note10+ camera was one of the best last year and scored similarly to iPhone 11 Pro Max, in actual fact in the actual reviews the Note10+ scored better in the Photo section while iPhone scored better in Video

165032e75a14aeb9e144ac915bc334fd.jpg

johny328i

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Samsung phones aren't the best representatives for an android phone. The bad thing is, you don't get phones like Huawei, xiaomi or one plus at your carriers (at lest so I've heard), so most of the Android users in the states stick with either Samsung or Pixel.

Huawei's EMUI is times faster and more stable than Samsung's joke of a ROM. Not even talking about the better camera you find on them.

If Trump didn't stop Huawei with his war against them, 2020 would have been the year when Huawei kills Samsung. And now xiaomi is aiming for this position too.

Apple did a good job with 11 Pro and regained some popularity, but these prices are killer.

At least here the iPhone Xs 64 I've bought two months ago cost me ~750$..

Reactions: Wide opeN and Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Samsung phones aren't the best representatives for an android phone. The bad thing is, you don't get phones like Huawei, xiaomi or one plus at your carriers (at lest so I've heard), so most of the Android users in the states stick with either Samsung or Pixel.

Huawei's EMUI is times faster and more stable than Samsung's joke of a ROM. Not even talking about the better camera you find on them.

If Trump didn't stop Huawei with his war against them, 2020 would have been the year when Huawei kills Samsung. And now xiaomi is aiming for this position too.

Apple did a good job with 11 Pro and regained some popularity, but these prices are killer.

Absolutely agreed! My Huawei P30 Pro is something of a tech marvel, to think over a year ago Huawei were implementing Periscopes and incredible Night Mode photography in their phones long before Samsung.

And then let’s not even talk about how Huawei phones use machine learning and AI to keep the UI fast and clean as possible, it’s something they focused on from the days of the Mate 10 Pro with EMUI8 in the Kirin970 and has only got better over the years. It amazes me that they don’t even have the fastest SoCs but their phones run incredibly well over many years. And then there are the endless features from App Locking, WiFi Bridging etc... that I first found in Huaweis.

Reactions: MarkX and Wide opeN

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Absolutely agreed! My Huawei P30 Pro is something of a tech marvel, to think over a year ago Huawei were implementing Periscopes and incredible Night Mode photography in their phones long before Samsung.
Samsung has never had good night mode. And it’s still terrible compared to Apple and Google.

elite953

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
Pakistan
lets see when i own iphone 11 pro max, what would be my experience, it will come in next 7 days or so.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
The bad thing about Samsung phones, is their ROMs. Samsung experience.

Take for an example a Huawei flagship - you never get slow downs, even after 2-3 years of usage. No crashes, no need to restart the phone. The same goes even for Xiaomi.

But Samsung - the overpriced crap of the Android camp.

As for ios - I'm currently on a Xs with 13.3 and I get more app crashes for a month, than I got with my last Huawei for 2 years. It's just a disaster. The only reason I'm sticking with this phone, is because of the compact size.

It's not crap but a long shot but the hype definitely dies down after a while, IOS just showing me my whole email when they come in is refreshing.

Everything popping up on the homescreen combined with how damn awesome face id is makes using the phone a breeze but I won't lie samsung being able to play youtube while browsing or using another app makes me miss samsung.

Or downloading a movie legal or illegal lol

Or music

Both have their highs and lows if possible get both and change sims when needed.
[automerge]1582333560[/automerge]

OnePlus? You like? Dislike?

Reactions: pbonitati

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Samsung release their phones 6 months after Apple do so they can copy the camera setup.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Megapixel count don’t mean anything

I don’t disagree with this, however, consumers generally believe that a ‘higher megapixel’ count means a better camera. And that’s exactly what companies like Samsung want the consumer to believe, because they realize that consumers generally don’t understand what a smart phone camera is composed of. When you start discussing the Technicalities of exposure/optical zoom/telephoto lens, etc., None of that translates anything to consumer that doesn’t understand what it means, but if you notice during these keynotes, they focus on the mega-pixel count, because they (consumers) believe a larger number symbolizes a much better camera.

Reactions: Tsepz

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I don’t disagree with this, however, consumers generally believe that a ‘higher megapixel’ count means a better camera. And that’s exactly what companies like Samsung want the consumer to believe, because they realize that consumers generally don’t understand what a smart phone camera is composed of. When you start discussing the Technicalities of exposure/optical zoom/telephoto lens, etc., None of that translates anything to consumer that doesn’t understand what it means, but if you notice during these keynotes, they focus on the mega-pixel count, because they (consumers) believe a larger number symbolizes a much better camera.
There is more to a camera then the MP count but it does not mean a well implemented high MP camera isn't superior. Looks like the S20 Ultra takes incredible photos with more detail then you could ever imagine on a 12 MP shooter.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Indeed, it is incredibly annoying. It's amazing the misconceptions built around this.

What annoys me even more is when a reviewer gawks at a megapixel count, one reviewer was blown away at the 40MP Pixel count on the S20 Ultra, the way he did it made it seem that a higher count automatically translates to better image quality

Reactions: jettie1767
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.