Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
@Apple_Robert Yep that's exactly what I thought. So let's try?

My offer would be: Lifetime 149$ = old price
Amount and deadline: Min. 10 people till the end of the year 2023

How does that sound?
I think that that is very reasonable. Another thing you could consider doing, is offering a small reward for users of your service who refer others (and those referrals have to stay with the service for x amount of time) before the person referring gets a reward.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I think that that is very reasonable. Another thing you could consider doing, is offering a small reward for users of your service who refer others (and those referrals have to stay with the service for x amount of time) before the person referring gets a reward.
I actually also thought of such a revenue system, but I couldn't find a solution yet to integrate last time I looked for it... But would be a good idea.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Swizz vpn the service its self is good but clearly the person running is out for a money grab. Also as pointed out there are other vpn services out there, so the £149 lifetime was the only thing that stood out when comparing others
I don't think the developer is "out for a money grab", he just seems to be not so business aware and realized that the prices he was charging were unrealistically low for the ongoing development needed if Swizz VPN is to be credible?

Reactions: pvalerio

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Lifetime? Hahahahahahaha.

So, this unknown, unaudited, non open source VPN has to stay in business with this inferior (compared with Mullvad VPN) product for 30 months before I even break even based on what I could pay for an open source, audited VPN? No thanks.

This service will be broken or gone with all of your upfront “lifetime” subscription money before the 30 months is up.

Too much risk for me.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
@Big Bad D: I just have a vision and will follow it, make changes when needed, but only if really neccessary.

@Sully: We'll see, I already have 10 months on my back ;) Since you're comparing me with a VPN provider that exists since 14 years I'll take that as a compliment.

Reactions: Sully

backstreetboy

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2023
Lifetime? Hahahahahahaha.

So, this unknown, unaudited, non open source VPN has to stay in business with this inferior (compared with Mullvad VPN) product for 30 months before I even break even based on what I could pay for an open source, audited VPN? No thanks.

This service will be broken or gone with all of your upfront “lifetime” subscription money before the 30 months is up.

Too much risk for me.
Mullvad doesn't have any streaming servers nor do they have an Apple TV app.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I need your opinion: Should I expand to Android and Android TV, or should I stay Apple-only? Do you know people that have mostly Apple devices but also an Android device? I have a hard time to decide if it's worth the hassle... At least I'm sure that I won't expand to Linux/Windows.

backstreetboy

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2023
I need your opinion: Should I expand to Android and Android TV, or should I stay Apple-only? Do you know people that have mostly Apple devices but also an Android device? I have a hard time to decide if it's worth the hassle... At least I'm sure that I won't expand to Linux/Windows.
I'd say focus on Apple only for now. Roll out split tunneling and Wireguard and then custom configs perhaps for those people with both OS'ses.

backstreetboy

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2023
There's no reason for WireGuard, see here: https://protonvpn.com/support/openvpn-dco/
Afaik there's no split tunneling for VPN apps on Apple devices. What do you want to split?
Windscribe etc. does support split tunneling. Certain websites etc. detect VPN usage and I'd like to exclude them.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 12.08.08.png

Wireguard has better battery life https://protonvpn.com/blog/openvpn-vs-wireguard/

Daniel.kimber

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
From a sales point I think it would benefit you to be on both Apple/android store. I use both systems so would benefit from this.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Windscribe etc. does support split tunneling. Certain websites etc. detect VPN usage and I'd like to exclude them.
View attachment 2320407
Wireguard has better battery life https://protonvpn.com/blog/openvpn-vs-wireguard/
That's interesting, didn't know that. I'll look into it.

Ok, battery usage is a point, but I'll want to make some real life tests myself to see the real difference. The thing is: OpenVPN like I have implemented it does everything how I want/need, from authentication, to load balancing, all the scrambling features, and lots on server-side. Wireguard has nothing from that implemented, you need to do that all myself (that's why all VPNs have their own build/variant of Wireguard). So not really interesting at this point for me. Even as a second protocol, without scrambling stuff, just as an option if one prefers it, it's a lot of work and new potential error sources...

Daniel.kimber

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
I use Hotukdeals app a lot and people are always looking for a vpn that has Pakistan (due to YouTube premium and over subscriptions being cheapest from this country). Not many vpns services have this country available so might be worth looking into.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I'm gonna revise the group buy thing, to the following:
I use Hotukdeals app a lot and people are always looking for a vpn that has Pakistan (due to YouTube premium and over subscriptions being cheapest from this country). Not many vpns services have this country available so might be worth looking into.
That is really helpful, thank you! I'll add it with the next update.

Reactions: Daniel.kimber

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I'm gonna change the group buy offer to a forum discount. If interested, just PM me.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Hi all

In a week, there will be a big performance upgrade to SwizzVPN. I just implemented OpenVPN-DCO server-side which in my tests greatly improves throughput, up to the double. I also restrict the Scramble/Obfuscation part to only the TCP mode (which can be enabled by the setting "Connection issues"), as it's not necessary to be enabled for every connection (AES-256-GCM and TLS-crypt v2 is still always enabled without exceptions). This should also greatly improve battery life. Together with the new servers (DE, FR, UK are already online, US-East, US-Middle, US-West will come the next days) and some other optimizations, it should be possible to hit close to 1 GBit/s on a lot of locations, no WireGuard needed ;-). Hope the transition goes well. If you encounter any problems, just make sure to update to the latest version of SwizzVPN (starting from Version 4.4.0).

Good night

EDIT: New US servers are now also online. The new SwizzVPN 4.4.0 update with the performance upgrade will go live at Tuesday.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
New update 4.4.2 is online, should be in App Store in maybe half an hour.

Would be great if you could make some Speedtests without and with SwizzVPN, to get some numbers. (For those who are in US, UK, DE, FR, CH, connected to your nearest server.) Thanks!

EDIT: There's a bug which makes some websites not work, so I just submitted 4.4.3.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Big news: I found a way to unblock all streaming services worldwide. Will implement it with the next update.
Thank you for implementing this! I just downloaded the latest version and tried for e.g. the Belgium public broadcast and it worked really well. I will try out some other (Scandinavian, German) European streaming services tonight.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Thank you for implementing this! I just downloaded the latest version and tried for e.g. the Belgium public broadcast and it worked really well. I will try out some other (Scandinavian, German) European streaming services tonight.
Sounds good, nice to hear!

Daniel.kimber

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
Hi

I’ve just done the update and tested

Paramount+ - Mexico: works great
MEGOGO - Ukraine: Works great
DAZN - Turkey: Works great
TOD(bein sport) - United Arab: not working
Disney+ - Turkey: not working but could just be my account

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
New update 4.5.0 is on the way with some new Asian locations, but removed some barely used East European locations. All locations have now been migrated to the new servers.

Reactions: backstreetboy

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
The VPN app now is feature complete and everything like I had in mind. It's now time to move on to the Android part to expand my service (well, next year then). If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell! And thanks to all the support from you and the early adopters, and the understanding for my missing business awareness lol.

Daniel.kimber

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
Congrats. The only request I have is the Turkey VPN for the past week has been poor, when I do a speed test it’s 50mbps one second and 1mbps the next lol. It’s making streaming live sports with DAZN unwatchable, Disney plus is fine just a bit buffering. Kind regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.