Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperbolic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
NOTE: I’ve attached relevant screenshots for all of the issues I describe below.

If anyone else out there owns a 256 GB iPhone 8 Plus (preferably Product Red), and you have installed iOS 15.5.x or 15.6.x (especially today’s release of 15.6.1), may you PLEASE respond with the amount of disk space “System Files” takes up?

If the phone models are equivalent, the System Files space should be exactly the same across the board.

What’s occurring on my phone is that for the last several updates (and I mean several), the System File disk usage remains at exactly 7.3 GB. I just upgraded to 15.6.1 today, and boom it stayed at 7.3 GB.

I’m not intending to be paranoid, but this is a bit strange because I’ve been checking the disk usage after every iOS update just because I’m a geek, and as far as I recollect, the System Files disk usage has almost always changed, at least by 0.01 GB after an upgrade. I’ve been stuck at 7.3 GB for the longest time. Something just does not seem correct.

To further back up my quasi-suspicion, about 4-6 months ago, a new app appeared that’s called “Software Update” that shows up in the General Settings iPhone Storage list. The app remains at a size of 39.8 MB. NOTE: This is NOT the file that gets downloaded during an iOS Upgrade. Furthermore, when I go into the detail view for that app, the delete button says “Delete UPDATE”, NOT “Delete APP” like all of the other apps show. When I click Delete Update, the screen navigates back to the list view but the Update refuses to delete. It remains in the list no matter how many times and no matter when I’ve tried to delete it. My suspicion is that this strange app (or Update File) is kicking in on every iOS update I perform and somehow preventing the OS from actually installing the latest update, especially considering the System Files disk usage has remained at 7.3 GB for months now. I can’t say for sure, but it’s very possible this behavior initiated when this strange “app” first appeared in my install apps list.

Now, if I go into Settings —> About, the About panel DOES indicate that my OS has updated to the latest version. However, I just telling you something seems off. Furthermore, my phone won’t let me delete the Books app, Calendar app, or Music app EVEN THOUGH they are deletable from the Home Screen. The X appears during the “jiggle”, and the option says Delete App, it does not say Move App to App Library like it does for other System apps that CANNOT be deleted. The strange thing is that the apps do disappear from the Home Screen, but they continues
to show up in the iPhone storage list that lists the apps. This is also strange behavior.

Finally, if I navigate to the iCloud settings, an app called SleepLockScreen is in the list. It has no Icon (same as Books and Music apps), and it suddenly appears a few iOS updates ago and I don’t see a way to remove it. I don’t even know what the H it is. Does anyone see this in their iCloud settings and does anyone know why it has a blank icon and does anyone know what the H it is?

So there you have it. Again, I’ve attached all relevant screenshots to this post. I. Hope someone with the same exact iPhone I have can check their phone settings and confirm/deny and help me figure all of this out.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2EF5A156-087D-4F70-A219-EA36F927D644.jpeg
    2EF5A156-087D-4F70-A219-EA36F927D644.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 8E480D03-83E1-4351-B1D0-4E24A9065D2E.jpeg
    8E480D03-83E1-4351-B1D0-4E24A9065D2E.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 7B5587C0-FA77-43B1-9EAE-DEA306850D3B.jpeg
    7B5587C0-FA77-43B1-9EAE-DEA306850D3B.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 5D0BD442-7998-4B7E-9B2C-FE721CF2CC30.jpeg
    5D0BD442-7998-4B7E-9B2C-FE721CF2CC30.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 141
  • A761EA45-158A-4E82-BD6A-A40FE91F5EDF.jpeg
    A761EA45-158A-4E82-BD6A-A40FE91F5EDF.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 159
  • F67FAACB-70ED-44C5-A60E-23C62DC8286E.jpeg
    F67FAACB-70ED-44C5-A60E-23C62DC8286E.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 136
  • D2AC1A9E-D015-4D2C-893E-90BC1E28D44D.jpeg
    D2AC1A9E-D015-4D2C-893E-90BC1E28D44D.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: Corgirat

hyperbolic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
NOTE: I’ve attached relevant screenshots for all of the issues I describe below.

If anyone else out there owns a 256 GB iPhone 8 Plus (preferably Product Red), and you have installed iOS 15.5.x or 15.6.x (especially today’s release of 15.6.1), may you PLEASE respond with the amount of disk space “System Files” takes up?

If the phone models are equivalent, the System Files space should be exactly the same across the board.

What’s occurring on my phone is that for the last several updates (and I mean several), the System File disk usage remains at exactly 7.3 GB. I just upgraded to 15.6.1 today, and boom it stayed at 7.3 GB.

I’m not intending to be paranoid, but this is a bit strange because I’ve been checking the disk usage after every iOS update just because I’m a geek, and as far as I recollect, the System Files disk usage has almost always changed, at least by 0.01 GB after an upgrade. I’ve been stuck at 7.3 GB for the longest time. Something just does not seem correct.

To further back up my quasi-suspicion, about 4-6 months ago, a new app appeared that’s called “Software Update” that shows up in the General Settings iPhone Storage list. The app remains at a size of 39.8 MB. NOTE: This is NOT the file that gets downloaded during an iOS Upgrade. Furthermore, when I go into the detail view for that app, the delete button says “Delete UPDATE”, NOT “Delete APP” like all of the other apps show. When I click Delete Update, the screen navigates back to the list view but the Update refuses to delete. It remains in the list no matter how many times and no matter when I’ve tried to delete it. My suspicion is that this strange app (or Update File) is kicking in on every iOS update I perform and somehow preventing the OS from actually installing the latest update, especially considering the System Files disk usage has remained at 7.3 GB for months now. I can’t say for sure, but it’s very possible this behavior initiated when this strange “app” first appeared in my install apps list.

Now, if I go into Settings —> About, the About panel DOES indicate that my OS has updated to the latest version. However, I just telling you something seems off. Furthermore, my phone won’t let me delete the Books app, Calendar app, or Music app EVEN THOUGH they are deletable from the Home Screen. The X appears during the “jiggle”, and the option says Delete App, it does not say Move App to App Library like it does for other System apps that CANNOT be deleted. The strange thing is that the apps do disappear from the Home Screen, but they continues
to show up in the iPhone storage list that lists the apps. This is also strange behavior.

Finally, if I navigate to the iCloud settings, an app called SleepLockScreen is in the list. It has no Icon (same as Books and Music apps), and it suddenly appears a few iOS updates ago and I don’t see a way to remove it. I don’t even know what the H it is. Does anyone see this in their iCloud settings and does anyone know why it has a blank icon and does anyone know what the H it is?

So there you have it. Again, I’ve attached all relevant screenshots to this post. I. Hope someone with the same exact iPhone I have can check their phone settings and confirm/deny and help me figure all of this out.

Thank you!

So… nobody else has this mysterious 40 MB “Software Update” appearing in their “iPhone Storage” list in General Settings?? That persists between iOS updates and can’t be deleted (clicking Delete Update) doesn’t work.

hyperbolic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
In iOS 15.x, on a random day, I started seeing an odd item in the iPhone Storage list that you can access via General Settings. The item is labeled “Software Update”, it’s 40MB in size, the Last Used date is always “Today”, it persists even when I upgrade iOS to a new version, none of my other iPhones have this in the list, and when I drill into the item to delete it, pressing “Delete Update” does nothing — the “update” refuses to delete.

See the attached screenshots…

I’ve now upgraded to iOS 16.1.2, and the “Software Update” is still present, and refuses to delete.

—> Is anyone else seeing this on their phone?

This doesn’t seem ideal for a few reasons

- I have automatic downloads & automatic updates turned OFF for both iOS and AppStore apps.

- I am not seeing this on any of my other 3 iPhones. All of them are running the same version of iOS. Two of them are iPhone 8 Plus, which exactly matches the model of iPhone that this strange “update thing” appears on.

- this “update” suddenly appeared one day, roughly 12 months ago. I can’t be certain, but I don’t believe it began to appear after I upgraded to a new version of iOS because I usually check the iPhone Storage list after every upgrade out of curiosity. It seems to have somehow appeared by some mechanism in between iOS updates.

- When I drill into the “Software Update”, a “Delete Update” button appears. However, pressing that button does not delete the update. IF this were a valid “Software Update” the Delete button would absolutely work. Something is very fishy about this, I don’t think there’s any doubt about that at this point.

I’d be very interested in hearing if anyone else sees this on their iPhone (or iPad)? Likewise, I’m interested in hearing thoughts on what this might be — what it’s function is, how it got installed, and whether or not this is an official Apple update (or app) sitting on my phone; or if it’s likely the phone has indeed been compromised. I have a feeling it might be the latter.

Note that this is not a corporate/educational managed iPhone, nor is my iCloud account a managed account, so that rules out any sort of custom enterprise software app/update being installed under an iOS Configuration Profile.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DEA0CD76-B3DD-429C-8F84-B5092E58DEFE.jpeg
    DEA0CD76-B3DD-429C-8F84-B5092E58DEFE.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 16FB4868-8196-4D6B-8CDB-D8FD763BAA89.jpeg
    16FB4868-8196-4D6B-8CDB-D8FD763BAA89.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 107

hyperbolic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I have it on my storage list and it can't be deleted either. Not sure when it showed up as I don't check it often.

Very interesting….

If you don’t mind checking… What model iPhone are you using, what version iOS do you have installed, how large is the “Software Update” (in MB), and if you drill into the iOS System item, what is the size taken up by the version of iOS you have installed (in GB)?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you!
The "System Files" and "Other System Data" segments are sort of out of your control. "System Files" should remain at a somewhat consistent size, while "Other System Data" will eventually balloon. This happens on all iPhones and iPod touches with iOS and all iPads with iPadOS. Your only recourse is to eventually wipe the device. I have no clue why Apple designed the OS this way, but it's sloppy and stupid.

Reactions: Corgirat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.