Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shiunbird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Hello everyone,

Did anyone have any success installing T2SDE Linux on PowerPC? The installation goes buttersmooth, but I always get stuck at the grub shell, no matter how I get around partitioning (tried /boot in separate ext2 partitition, tried GPT and APM). I don't even get the menu with the menu option defined in grub.cfg during installation.

I am on a late 2005 G5.

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
Hello everyone,

Did anyone have any success installing T2SDE Linux on PowerPC? The installation goes buttersmooth, but I always get stuck at the grub shell, no matter how I get around partitioning (tried /boot in separate ext2 partitition, tried GPT and APM). I don't even get the menu with the menu option defined in grub.cfg during installation.

I am on a late 2005 G5.

i had the same problems. I tried it many times to install T2 SDE 24.5 only to recognize that you

1. cannot make a hfs filesystem (must do it before installation with OSX install media for instance), make.hfs is missing.
2. T2 SDE cannot mount a hfs filesystem read/write, only ro.
3. T2 SDE cannot write anything to the boot partition (normally /dev/sda2)

Maybe some linux wizard can enlighten us with some help.

it's a pity that in June 2024 almost all ppc linux derives would not install on our beloved ppc machines.

1. debian 12: broken dependencies and broken grub
2. T2 SDE: unable to boot after installation
3. debian 11: cannot finish install
4. debian 10: no mirror anymore, cannot install anything
5. Adelie works on my iBook after endless tries. don't DL the usual PPC iso, just DL the adelie-inst-ppc-1.0-beta5-20240426 with size 488,3MB. but Adelie has a small repository. package manager is fast.
6. void linux: i had it once installed, years ago, it was fast, easy and reliable, but support ended AFAIK in 2023.

last warning. DON'T try to install t2-23.12-ppc-minimal-firefox-gcc-glibc-603 !!!! it bricked one iboob and one powerbook, I suspect the installer to inject some code into OpenFirmware. both devices were unbootable! after hours of research I found the following hint:

and rescued both ppc machines!

I would love to continue some kind of exchange about the possibilities of linux in June 2024 for us!

Shiunbird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
I spent some time on this yesterday and today, failing miserably.

Even the known media I have for void ppc and adelie I failed to install - perhaps my memory is failing. It was easier to get my C8000 up and running!

I am trying to get Debian 10 up with functional grub, then will try to get t2sde on top of it, by mounting /boot/grub and /boot separately. Let's see.

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
I spent some time on this yesterday and today, failing miserably.

Even the known media I have for void ppc and adelie I failed to install - perhaps my memory is failing. It was easier to get my C8000 up and running!

I am trying to get Debian 10 up with functional grub, then will try to get t2sde on top of it, by mounting /boot/grub and /boot separately. Let's see.
Try my recommended Adelie image, the you‘ll succeed!

Shiunbird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Did you try loading t2sde on top of a working bootable environment created by the adelie installer?

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
No, I tried to install from scratch but did the partitioning and formatting from OSX 10.5 installer disk or diff. Linux install disk cause T2 SDE does not support hfs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.