Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I'm really liking Big Sur so far, but one thing I've noticed is that it takes several minutes to eject my external Time Machine drive, and on several occasions it hasn't ejected at all, I've had to force eject.

I have two external drives connected most of the time, one is Time Machine and the other has my large files on it like movies and software etc. When I want to take my laptop away from my desk, I eject both together. The external disk ejects normally after a couple of seconds, but the Time Machine disk either takes ages, or won't eject at all. The drive is not in the middle of a backup or 'cleaning up', I make sure it has finished before trying to eject.

Has anyone else this since installing big Sur? It wasn't happening under all previous OS X versions.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have the same issue - takes minutes for the drive to eject - used to take seconds. Drive is what I use for Time Machine backups. Annoying for certain

Reactions: Te0SX and me55

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Happens here too. Using Disk Utility the drive can be ejected, but it seems like a bug that Finder can't completely eject it.

Also you cannot run a filesystem check (First Aid) on a APFS encrypted Time Machine drive even when the disk is not mounted. It always fails with some error message that a crypto module could not be loaded.

Reactions: Te0SX

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Does it behave the same way if it's plugged in on its own?

I'm not sure because both drives are connected to a hub, and it would be a bit of a pain to disconnect it because it's all cable-tied below my desk to keep the cabling tidy (love having a single USB C cable for power, display, external drives etc.) But this slow ejecting has only started happening since upgrading to Big Sur.

Reactions: Quackers

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
This is the only way to currently eject the Time Machine drive normally. Open Disk Utility and use this:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-19 um 16.48.50.png

Finder only ejects the container (last line) and the drive is still spinning. In that state, the red marked button will not work showing a message that the drive is still in use. When using the red marked button without ejecting in Finder, it will eject the container and the drive correctly.

This seems like a bug that should be reported to Apple.

Stuke

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Germany presently
I'm really liking Big Sur so far, but one thing I've noticed is that it takes several minutes to eject my external Time Machine drive, and on several occasions it hasn't ejected at all, I've had to force eject.

I have two external drives connected most of the time, one is Time Machine and the other has my large files on it like movies and software etc. When I want to take my laptop away from my desk, I eject both together. The external disk ejects normally after a couple of seconds, but the Time Machine disk either takes ages, or won't eject at all. The drive is not in the middle of a backup or 'cleaning up', I make sure it has finished before trying to eject.

Has anyone else this since installing big Sur? It wasn't happening under all previous OS X versions.
Same thing with me. Really like Big Sur but this one issue is frustrating. On Catalina, ejection (by dragging desktop drive icon to trash, or hitting eject button in finder window sidebar) took about 5-7 second. In Big Sur (after several normal uses of this procedure) takes about 45-60 seconds. I haven't tried it directly within Disk Utility yet, but still a bugging problem. Could it be related to APFS structure of the Time Machine backup in Big Sur??

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
My time machine disk is still the old format, not APFS, but it does get slower ejecting (~ a minute) after upgrade to Big Sur.

Reactions: Big Ron

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

It’s possible Spotlight is indexing the disk. Unfortunately you can’t turn this off on a Time Machine drive, it’s required to work. TM makes hundreds (thousands?) of changes each backup which is why it would take longer than your other drive.

Reactions: Big Ron

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I created a new backup drive using APFS format, and I found the ejection time resumed to a few seconds! Backup speed seems also faster. It is the same type of portable 5TB WD element drive.

Last edited:

Boosf

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have the same issue. I thought it was just me. Time Machine ejection now takes somewhere between 60 seconds and 5 minutes. It is also not backing up when ejected.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2010
Hi

Count me in with this issue. Just the TM external drive taking ages to disconnect. The other three all eject fine.

Josh

Nick55

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Has any noticed in Big Sur when you go to File, Eject, the name of the drive you want to eject is Now missing..... was there for all previous OS before.....
What is the purpose and now we have issues..
Put it back to complete the process.
Please dot your i’s and cross your T’s in Triplicate before releasing to public.

GeroZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
I skipped Catalina (because I wanted to be able to run 32-bit software) and went straight from Mojave to Big Sur. I experience the exact same thing: External drives, could be my Time Machine or my other big external drive, take forever to eject.

I experienced a distantly related issue back in the day (probably with High Sierra, I can't really remember) when I noticed that after my external Time Machine drive was unmounted, it kept spinning – unless I ejected it from the Disk Utilities (as noted by me55 in #7). So – different issue, same solution: Eject the drive via Disk Utilities … or from the command line in a Terminal window with "diskutil eject disk2" (or whatever the respective number is).

Being a programmer, what I did back then was: I created a tiny Python script that resides on my desktop and ejects the (first) external drive (it finds). Caveat: You need to have the Python interpreter installed on your computer, which should be the case on pretty much any new Mac. Otherwise, Homebrew is your friend.

This is what the script looks like:

#!/usr/bin/python

import os,re

diskUtilList = os.popen('diskutil list').read()
diskUtilList = diskUtilList.replace("\n", " ")

externalPhysicalRegEx = r".*\/dev\/(disk(?:\d+)) \(external\, physical\).*"

match = re.match(externalPhysicalRegEx, diskUtilList)
if match:
print "Ejecting " + match.group(1) + " ..."
os.popen('diskutil eject '+match.group(1))

It first gets a list of all available drives with "diskutil list", puts them all together in one line, and then it finds the first external, physical drive that is available. … That regular expression is dark magic, as always. Here be dragons. If there's such a drive, it ejects it with "diskutil eject".

So put all that into TextEdit after setting it to plain text by hitting Shift/Cmd-T. Save the file somewhere in your home, perhaps under "Documents", and name it "EjectTimeMachine.py.command" (".command" to be able to double click it from Finder, ".py" to indicate that it's a Python script).

Please note: The last two lines need to start with four blank characters. This is how it should look like:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 14.24.25.png

Now open a Terminal window and type "chmod a+x " without the quotation marks, but including the blank at the and – but don't hit the Enter key just yet.
Now drag the "EjectTimeMachine.py.command" file icon from the Finder into your Terminal window. — Yes, you read that correctly: The file won't actually be moved, but the file name including its path will be added to the command line.

It should look similar to this:
chmod a+x /Users/yourname/Documents/EjectTimeMachine.py.command
… depending on what your user name is and where you stored that file. — Now hit Enter. This will make this file executable for "all" – hence the code "a+x" ("all plus eXecute").

Now drag the file icon from wherever you stored it to your desktop while holding the Alt/Command keys down. This will create a shortcut on your desktop, while the actual file remains wherever you stored it. … You may rename the shortcut to whatever comes to your mind, e.g. "Eject Time Machine". … Like so:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-25 um 14.31.00.png

Please note that this will work only if you have just one external physical drive, or if the Time Machine drive is the first one that it finds. If that's not what you are looking for, find a programmer who can modify my Python script to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Ron and me55

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Someone mentioned in some other thread that Eject works more reliably if you use the top level arrow in Disk Utility. This voodoo may have something going for it, I haven't had as much trouble ejecting APFS drives after adopting that habit.

Also, "killall Finder" in Terminal tends to help get rid of common activity that occupies the disk. That's step 1. Clicking the top arrow is step 2.

I'm not sure which "diskutil" variation achieves the same effect in Terminal. It could be the "diskutil unmountdisk" variant.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 17.45.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 17.45.52.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: me55

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Even with a completely reformatted Time Machine drive, the issue persists. Mounting and ejection time seem a little faster though.

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Even with a completely reformatted Time Machine drive, the issue persists. Mounting and ejection time seem a little faster though.
I reformatted the time machine drive to the new APFS format, and the slow ejection problem is gone. The catch is that the drive is dedicate for time machine unless you make multiple partitions.

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
I use APFS, but the issue that the drive does not spin down still exists. Makes no difference regardless how many APFS containers are on it.

Other drives that are not Time Machine work perfectly.

Reactions: Nick55

Nick55

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Still having issues as well. Every time I upgrade software, more issues are created.

kurtocracy

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
Thought it was just me.... Followed DU tip...ejecting w/Disk Utility now makes it a 1 second task. Hassle, but beats sitting around.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
This just happened to me on a new M1 MBA (BS 11.2) and nothing I did with Finder, Disk Utility or right-click "eject" would work.
What worked for me was logging out and back in again. The drive then ejects normally (and quickly), or did for me :)

There is one caveat though!
When TM reported the backup (79GB) was finished, with a full progress bar, Finder reported the drive as still in use.
I fired up Disk Utility again and only 51GB had been written to disk. I closed DU and re-opened it about 2 minutes later and 53GB had been written. So TM was actually still writing to the disc.
Make sure it is actually finished first or your backup may suffer.
I suspect this fault KP'd my M1 MBP (now sent back) when I unplugged the TM drive - not having properly checked that it was finished.

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I found recently that when Time Machine working on "Clean Up" task, the system is very slow to response to almost anything. The time machine disk is a 5TB spinning disk formatted as AFPS system. Big Sur Latest version, MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch. Safari, MS office all semi freeze, any task need several seconds to respond. As soon as I skipped the clean up task, it back to normal. Anyone else has the same issue? The problem seems was exist since the Big Sur 11.0.

vjpulp

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Bern, Switzerland
I'm having the same issue. But it's even worse – when I eject the Time Machine disk via Disk Utility, Disk Utility crashes (beachball of death, have to force quit). And when I try to restart Disk Utilty after that, the icon just jumps up and down in the Dock, but won't start.
This process of ejecting TM seems to break down everything else...

MBP 16" 2019, Big Sur 11.2.3

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I reformatted the time machine drive to the new APFS format, and the slow ejection problem is gone. The catch is that the drive is dedicate for time machine unless you make multiple partitions.
How can you do that? I have a Time Machine drive that I suppose is HFS. Do I have to erase it or can I reformat it directly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.