Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I found recently that when Time Machine working on "Clean Up" task, the system is very slow to response to almost anything. The time machine disk is a 5TB spinning disk formatted as AFPS system. Big Sur Latest version, MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch. Safari, MS office all semi freeze, any task need several seconds to respond. As soon as I skipped the clean up task, it back to normal. Anyone else has the same issue? The problem seems was exist since the Big Sur 11.0.
Yes, well my system is ok but it takes a long time to clean up and to liberate space when it it out.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I found recently that when Time Machine working on "Clean Up" task, the system is very slow to response to almost anything. The time machine disk is a 5TB spinning disk formatted as AFPS system. Big Sur Latest version, MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch. Safari, MS office all semi freeze, any task need several seconds to respond. As soon as I skipped the clean up task, it back to normal. Anyone else has the same issue? The problem seems was exist since the Big Sur 11.0.

How can you do that? I have a Time Machine drive that I suppose is HFS. Do I have to erase it or can I reformat it directly?
Anyone have the answer?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Thanks, I will think about wether I really need to do so but certainly a separate backup will be part of the procedure.

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I found that my APFS spinning disk Time Machine drive start to spin when right click on the ion to eject. This is when backup is not running and the disk was supposed at idle. The icon quickly disappeared from desktop, but if I go to Disk Utility, the drive is there, and right click the drive and select eject will get a popup windows says the disk is in use. The spin can last for minutes with head moving noise. The disk was mounted to LG5K connected to the laptop. If I disconnect the laptop from the monitor after the click sounds are gone. The disk will keep spin forever when it connected to the monitor! I have really to pull the disk from the monitor to power it off.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Anyone noticed any changes with today's update to Big Sur 11.3.?
Yup ejected instantly. I had previously erased the disk and reformatted it as APFS (which is automatic if you use an external disk as Time Machine). It would not eject properly as it kept saying "the disk is in use" so - per Apple's instructions - I logged out and in again and I could eject. Now no problem it is instant...much better.

Reactions: vjpulp

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Good news, this seems to have been resolved by Big sur update 11.3. for the last few days my drives have been ejecting instantly, no messing about in terminal required :)

Reactions: vjpulp

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I also updated to 11.3, but the time machine disk still spinning after ejecting (icon on desktop disappear right the way), but in Disk Utility, you can see the drive, and right click to eject there will have a pop up message says the drive is in use. And the drive is keep spinning. Basically same as 11.2

Last edited:

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I also updated to 11.3, but the time machine disk still spinning after ejecting (icon on desktop disappear right the way), but in Disk Utility, you can see the drive, and right click to eject there will have a pop up message says the drive is in use. And the drive is keep spinning. Basically same as 11.2
The drive stopped spin after 10~20 minutes, but ejecting from Disk Utility still says it is in use.

dotcrawl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
Open Disk Utility, Option-Click on the Finder icon in the dock, click 'Relaunch', then eject the Volume (not the Container) in Disk Utility.

king11527

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Open Disk Utility, Option-Click on the Finder icon in the dock, click 'Relaunch', then eject the Volume (not the Container) in Disk Utility.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried, but not working. The volume can be ejected following your steps, but the disk is spinning after ejection, and the root of the disk (above the container) cannot be ejected as usual. And the volume can normally be ejected without relaunch Finder.

dunos

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Reactions: Aichon

Nick55

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Still taking about eight minutes for Time Machine LaCie Rugged USB-C Drive to power down and stop spinning after “Eject” of Icon on 2019 iMac Big Sur 11.4
File Eject
Right Click Eject
Drag to Trash
same results.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Still taking about eight minutes for Time Machine LaCie Rugged USB-C Drive to power down and stop spinning after “Eject” of Icon on 2019 iMac Big Sur 11.4
File Eject
Right Click Eject
Drag to Trash
same results.
Formatted how?

vitamanic

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2020
I noticed this with not just ejecting, but also mounting. I figured out the problem and decided I'd share it with you all since the cause isn't the same as most of yours.

The slow mounting and unmounting for me was caused because I made a conventional partition on the disk using APFS. It just slowly got worse and worse over time. I'm not sure why, but formatting the drive and making a dynamic volume instead of a hard partition solved the problem entirely.

PDP8User

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2021
I fixed this issue on my Mac (Macbook Pro M1 Big Sur) by removing the disk icon from the Finder sidebar. WHen trying to eject the partitition with Disk Utility, DU reported it as being in use by finder even though there were no windows open. Giving the icon the flick and restarting Finder did the trick and it hasn't bothered me since. I've mounted and unmounted the disk a number of times, but, when I think of it, haven't yet rebooted.

Treyp75

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2021
I'm really liking Big Sur so far, but one thing I've noticed is that it takes several minutes to eject my external Time Machine drive, and on several occasions it hasn't ejected at all, I've had to force eject.

I have two external drives connected most of the time, one is Time Machine and the other has my large files on it like movies and software etc. When I want to take my laptop away from my desk, I eject both together. The external disk ejects normally after a couple of seconds, but the Time Machine disk either takes ages, or won't eject at all. The drive is not in the middle of a backup or 'cleaning up', I make sure it has finished before trying to eject.

Has anyone else this since installing big Sur? It wasn't happening under all previous OS X versions.
It happened to me in previous OS versions, too. Apparently it's in use by Finder. I force quit Finder and boom, it ejects right after it Finder comes back.

DaBeaver

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2021
I'm running Big Sur on a 2015 MBP Time Machine would not eject. The drive is a Western Digital 2 TB with a USBc removable adapter to its cable. My MBP uses only USB3 plugins so I took off the type c adapter and used their cable. From a hint from some other thread I exhanged the cable from one of my many other drives. It worked!! now I can jst connect my time machine when I want to and diconnect at will too.

Reactions: decafjava

guitart56

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2021
I've been having this problem since switching to Big Sur (11.6). I'm on a Mac Pro 7,1. I have a few external SSD drives and Time Machine. They are all taking too long to eject (about 2 minutes +) compared to Catalina OS, which took about 10 sec. The TM was not formatted as APFS. Any recent workaround or solutions out there? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.