Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
What is all this talk about building new internet and who is promoting it?

Talk on building new internet.

One man’s plan to build a new internet​

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Neat idea but it would take trillions in private funding to even get this off the ground. That's assuming it clears the mountain of legal hurdles along with buy in by all private and public sectors. Also, those who have a majority stake in the current internet (Google and Amazon mostly) will throw every single lawyer they can at this and make sure its DOA.

Perhaps many, many, MANY years down the road, this will be a possibility but right now, there is too much money to be made off of the internet and this proposal essentially spits in the face of that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I didn't read the entire article, but it sounds like this is a Web replacement, not an Internet replacement. The problem is going to be getting it off the ground, and getting enough content on it for people to actually be interested. It's the classic chicken and egg problem.

I looked at Gemini a couple of years ago and I like the concept... but haven't bothered to make a Gemini version of my personal website, because who's going to look at it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.