Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Looks at price, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. And for good measure,:eek::eek::eek::eek:.
You must be making buku bucks to even think about getting that. Wow!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
what are some practical uses for this lens? You could shoot portraits from a mile away if you wanted. It can't that sharp either.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800557508-USE/Canon__Super_Telephoto_1200mm_f_5_6L.html

It's so rare that one comes up for sale, and this one is less then $100K!

I know you aren't serious but if you were
I think it might be cheaper to rent a helicopter to get you closer to the subject $99K will get you quite a few hours of flight time

I actually have a longer one that I use for subjects that I _can't_ get closer to. It is the 10" version of an older model of one of these http://www.meade.com/lx200r/index.html
I can reduce the focal length with an add-on lens so that it works at f/8.0 or f/6.3. Of course I mostly point mine up at the sky but I've tried using the scope for terrestrial targets too. The biggest problem is the air is never still and never clear. So a lens like that Canon 1200mm f/5.6 will be very hard to use. I'd bet you would get a lot of grey and blurry shots.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
It is a beast of a lens. Canon had one on display at the Focus on Imaging show (NEC Birmingham, UK) probably about 10 years ago. Had a look though it thats about all. I read there was only 10 of these in existence, looks like one of them is now loose!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Really? I'd wager I have more professional experience than 80% on this forum. That lens while novel can't be so useful for anyone but a wildlife photographer or maybe a sports photographer.

You just contradicted yourself...

And what forum? The photography subforum, or the entire macrumors? Heck, I'm 16 and probably have more experience than 70% of all of macrumors.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool

I did?

Can anyone find any sample images from this lens? I'd love to see them.

The thing is massive though:

67748045hxh0zjhscanon12tr1.jpg

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

Yes, you did contradict yourself. See below.

what are some practical uses for this lens? You could shoot portraits from a mile away if you wanted. It can't that sharp either.

...and then you go on to list two potential uses.

Really? I'd wager I have more professional experience than 80% on this forum. That lens while novel can't be so useful for anyone but a wildlife photographer or maybe a sports photographer.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas

And what forum? The photography subforum, or the entire macrumors? Heck, I'm 16 and probably have more experience than 70% of all of macrumors.

Firstly... 16 with a D70, D300 AND a Mac Pro? Hmmm.

Secondly, I see no contradiction in his statement. And don't be so silly, you obviously know what he means.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Firstly... 16 with a D70, D300 AND a Mac Pro? Hmmm.

Secondly, I see no contradiction in his statement. And don't be so silly, you obviously know what he means.

I'll address your points backwards-like.

I don't know how much clearer of a contradiction you can make; on the one hand you say the lens is useless, on the other you admit it has uses. That said, I completely agree that the lens is a waste of time (as far as using it; we can talk for days...)

Yes, I'm 16; Yes, I have a D70, D300, and a Mac Pro. I assume you "hmmm" either translates to "wow, you're spoiled" or "bulls**t". I don't deny that's a lot for a 16yo to have, however my mini-business makes some on the side (granted, not close to enough to cover all that). What I think makes me not-so-spoiled (prob. is it's a societal definition) is that I use each and am grateful.

Oh, and if I translate the "hmmm" as "spoiled": I despise people passing judgment on me before they know me. Knowing me through the forums doesn't even come close to knowing me--the whole internet disconnect. So please just **** and get back on topic (which isn't me).

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I don't deny that's a lot for a 16yo to have, however my mini-business makes some on the side (granted, not close to enough to cover all that).

Wow, I'm impressed (no sarcasm intended). What sort of mini-business do you have? I wish I had been so motivated at 16!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
What sort of mini-business do you have? I wish I had been so motivated at 16!

Photography (hence the photo equipment; pretty much every gift I ever receive from the parents is a lens, flash, body, cover, monopod, etc. I pitch in here and there, but I feel the need to clarify: they cover the large majority (>90%) of major purchases.) See http://www.NickensPhotography.com

And "so motivated" leads to overscheduling and being known as the "50 yo in a 16 yo's body" by many... rewarding in some respects, but bad in others

Enough about me (I hate talking about myself, let alone being in front of the camera/spotlight): that lens is ***** HUGE! Does it come with a Sherpa to carry it for you?

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Photography (hence the photo equipment; pretty much every gift I ever receive from the parents is a lens, flash, body, cover, monopod, etc. I pitch in here and there, but I feel the need to clarify: they cover the large majority (>90%) of major purchases.) See http://www.NickensPhotography.com

And "so motivated" leads to overscheduling and being known as the "50 yo in a 16 yo's body" by many... rewarding in some respects, but bad in others

Enough about me (I hate talking about myself, let alone being in front of the camera/spotlight): that lens is ***** HUGE! Does it come with a Sherpa to carry it for you?

The photographs on your website are first-rate. The only thing that gives you away as a 16 year old is the shot of the cheerleaders. Wait, that shot doesn't scream 16 year old, but male photographer. :D

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
The photographs on your website are first-rate. The only thing that gives you away as a 16 year old is the shot of the cheerleaders. Wait, that shot doesn't scream 16 year old, but male photographer. :D

Thanks!

Actually, the cheerleaders were a special assignment for my best customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.