Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNB

macrumors 604
The price new was $83K. Canon discontinued production (such as it was) in 2005. There's 10-12 in existence, only one is believed to be in private hands (the founder of Oakley).

I've got a 1250mm lens. Granted, it's a telescope, but still...

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
You sure there were only 10-12 made? If that's true this could be an investment item, like pre-ban machine guns. Hmmm, made I *should* buy it...

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Really? I'd wager I have more professional experience than 80% on this forum. That lens while novel can't be so useful for anyone but a wildlife photographer or maybe a sports photographer.

Obeygiant, I had no idea you were a photographer. Do you happen to have any local shots of Newport Beach, perhaps even Bear's Lair (I worked there as an undergraduate)?

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Firstly... 16 with a D70, D300 AND a Mac Pro? Hmmm.

Secondly, I see no contradiction in his statement. And don't be so silly, you obviously know what he means.

Hey, lighten up. I had a dual 800 PowerMac and a 500mhz TiBook when I was 15/16.

Then again I paid for them up front from working with a local company on their safety videos.

As for the photos on the 16 year olds website, they're okay. A few more years and some experience and he'll be doing really good.

~Crawn

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I think they will still make them - it's a custom order piece obviously. So I don't think I'd buy it as an investment.

It would be so fun to take that out and see what kind of reactions you'd get at a local football game though :)

I didn't know B&H sold on consignment - or do you think they actually have that "in stock" as they say.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I'll address your points backwards-like.

I don't know how much clearer of a contradiction you can make; on the one hand you say the lens is useless, on the other you admit it has uses. That said, I completely agree that the lens is a waste of time (as far as using it; we can talk for days...)

Yes, I'm 16; Yes, I have a D70, D300, and a Mac Pro. I assume you "hmmm" either translates to "wow, you're spoiled" or "bulls**t". I don't deny that's a lot for a 16yo to have, however my mini-business makes some on the side (granted, not close to enough to cover all that). What I think makes me not-so-spoiled (prob. is it's a societal definition) is that I use each and am grateful.

Oh, and if I translate the "hmmm" as "spoiled": I despise people passing judgment on me before they know me. Knowing me through the forums doesn't even come close to knowing me--the whole internet disconnect. So please just **** and get back on topic (which isn't me).

Actually, I feel the need to apologize for my statement. This doesn't happen often, so make the most of it :D

I wasn't paying enough attention to the posts, and you're right, he did contradict himself.

As for my "hmm", I wasn't calling bullsh*t, and I wasn't even really calling you spoiled. I think I was just a little incredulous, that's all. I think you're very fortunate, a fact that you seem to recognize and appreciate. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, unlike many teenage internet users.

However, one word of advice: ease up on the "****"... you can make your point and express yourself in an adult way without resorting to comments like that. It just kind of ruins your otherwise fairly eloquent retort.

Macerture

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Dirty Jersey
Nice lens - too much of a hassel to shoot with in my opinion unless you have a support crew. No really, I mean that.

Anyway, funny to see the picking on the 16 year old and his equipment. Nice to see the apology as well. Kudos to both.

I purchased my first 'real' camera when I was 17 - that was 1989/1990, before forums like this - all uunet baby.. Anyway, I wasn't spoiled but, I did have a $1200 body - Olympus OM-4Ti (black) and lots a quality glass to go along with it. I worked in a Photo-Mat booth and washed dishes in a Chinese restaurant to afford it all. Nearly twenty years later and I still have this gear, it's absolutely the best camera I have ever used, though, I do like my older Pentax bodies, the ME-Super, K1000 and PZ-1P.. Truth be told, I ebay'd the Me and K1000 6 months ago. I would have loved to have gone digital with Olympus but they abandoned me. They switched mounts so Pentax got my business and will continue to do so until they screw me too .. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.