Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
In this thread, a terminal at a Walmart that accepts Apple Pay - yet doesn't have the contactless payment logo on it, and thus appears to be a NON-NFC terminal, was discussed.

I thought it would be useful to start a thread/wiki with pictures of terminals like this, so that we can tell what and where these terminals are. #themoreyouknow

Please edit and add on whatever you find..

VeriPhone MX915
Found at: Walmart
MX915_1_lg.jpg

Ingenico iSC350
Found at: 7-11 (NFC disabled)
iSC350-General-Slide.jpg

Ingenico ISC Touch 250
Found at: Home Depot
isc250_w605.jpg

Verifone VX-820
Found at: Subway
3476063D-C1DB-4D19-AF1B-797587342358_zpsqvot61i3.jpg

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
These are very common terminals. Walmart just doesn't have the display programmed correctly to show the contactless payments logo. Walmart is on the list of retailers that accept contactless payment if they have these updated terminals at your local store.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20164698/

Note in this video from Monday, most of the contactless terminals shown are the same one. Of course, the decision to activate the contactless payments option on these terminals is dependent on the retailer's choice so not every Verifone terminal will allow contactless payments.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-iphone-6-is-quick-convenient-and-dead-simple

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I made a purchase with apple pay at Fresh Market (a regional grocery store) yesterday and it was listed on the MasterCard app as accepting NFC payments, but they had the same terminal as pictured above and I didn't see any NFC logo on it. I tried it anyway and it worked fine, though:)

I saw a similar terminal when I walked into an Auto Zone yesterday and I was planning to try to use apple pay there, but unfortunately I discovered too late that they only had the new terminal at one register and the one I wound up checking out at (as well as all the others that I could see) just had old non-NFC terminals.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Verifone has included NFC in all its POS machines since 2011 so it's up to the retailer to enable or disable it if you do see a Verifone terminal unless it's one of the older ones.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Verifone has included NFC in all its POS machines since 2011 so it's up to the retailer to enable or disable it if you do see a Verifone terminal unless it's one of the older ones.

Does this mean that Target is allowing NFC payments right now?

ianpuffen

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Richmond, VA
The implementation of Apple Pay on the merchant side has really been messy. I went to Subway for lunch on Friday in the podunk little town where I work, no advertisement of Apple Pay or NFC anywhere, not even a logo near the register. I pulled my phone out near the card reader anyway (don't remember the brand but it was a smaller pin pad with a small screen and a swipe slot on the side) hoping it would light up; when it didn't I set my phone down and reached for my wallet. But actually the guy hadn't finished ringing up the order; once he did the NFC logo appeared on the card reader screen, my phone lit up with the Apple Pay option, I tapped TouchID, and was done in 1-2 seconds. The cashier seemed to know what was going on too; I couldn't tell if he pressed a button or anything but he definitely acted like it was normal for me to pay with my phone. But the problem here was no advertising whatsoever, not even an NFC logo at the register until the order was rung up. And this was at one of Apple's launch partners.

I went to an Auto Zone on Saturday; I only mention this because someone above said they saw an NFC-enabled register at one. No advertisement, but I watched the terminal for the NFC logo to appear just out of curiosity; when nothing did I just swiped. So if Auto Zone does have NFC enabled evidently as the above poster mentioned it's only some terminals and it's unadvertised.

Finally, I went in Panera for dinner last night. They had Apple Pay advertisements on the doors, and at about 60% of the registers. Problem was, the register I ended up at didn't have the Apple Pay and NFC logos. I pulled out my phone anyway, but of course it didn't light up and the cashier told me she didn't have it available on her register. So I had to swipe, and this was at one of the launch partners.

So my overall experience hasn't been great, but that's the fault of the launch partners not having it fully implemented and/or not advertising it. Actually using the technology itself was a breeze though the one time I was able to use it and there was a definite gratification looking at my receipt and seeing the last four of my "card number" as being different than what's on my actual card. As for the non-partners that have NFC but don't advertise it in any way...that's just annoying. Theoretically I could be using it more often...if I ended up at the right register and pulled my phone out to check every time I buy something that's not at a store that's known to not have NFC implemented. So yeah. The merchant side of this is really sloppy right now.

taylorlightfoot

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Does this mean that Target is allowing NFC payments right now?

No it does not; the Verifone Terminals at Target don't have NFC disabled, they don't have NFC at all.

Target uses the MX925 not the MX915.
The smaller screen MX915 has NFC integrated into the unit as a standard feature.
The Larger 7" MX925 has the option to have NFC included, but it comes in the form of a separate attachment at the rear of the device and includes the NFC logo printed on the attachment.

Target could add the NFC option later, but currently their signature pads have no NFC capabilities.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
There are two more common models: ingenico ipp320 and isc250. Both are nfc capable and can be found in many stores, though they may still have nfc disabled (most of the time, the ipp320 can be found connected to a cash register rather than standalone)

iPP320-EMV.jpg

iSC250-Review.jpg

In VeriPhone MX915
Found at: Walmart
MX915_1_lg.jpg

Ingenico iSC350
Found at: 7-11 (NFC disabled)
iSC350-General-Slide.jpg

Ingenico ISC Touch 250
Found at: Home Depot
isc250_w605.jpg

Verifone VX-820
Found at: Subway
3476063D-C1DB-4D19-AF1B-797587342358_zpsqvot61i3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.