Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
Took some video tonight with my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I set it to 4k 60fps and the 2x lens. I will include two screen shots of the video. The first one is grainy and blurry. The second is sharp. For some reason the iPhone decided it should use the wide angle lens instead of the one I selected and it picked a different frame rate. The second image used a different lens. If the iPhone is not going to use the setting I selected, why do they let us choose these settings? Well I guess I need a camera app that actually lets me decide which settings to use.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.png
    IMG_1449.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1450.png
    IMG_1450.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • Haha
Reactions: dominiongamma

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can’t really expect too much from those tiny lenses with no optical zoom whatsoever (The one that moves lenses to zoom in and zoom out). Or maybe just Apple dictates what their camera app should choose lenses in A bit of brutal manner instead of putting much thought. We may never know.

What I do know is iPhone can’t take seriously high quality audio, video and photo comparable to dedicated devices simply because it is a phone.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Settings --> Camera --> Auto FPS --> Off [iOS 16.7]

Automatically reduce the frame rate to improve low light video and to optimize file size

Before I use a newly set up iPhone, I check every setting to make sure I get the result I want...

For photo, I have it set to RAW 12MP since I mostly use it for point and shoot and only switch to RAW 48MP when I have enough time to capture the photo and not in a rush...

Why the iPhone X's telephoto lens won't shoot in low-light situations

Yes, you tried shooting using the ultrawide but the same applies... Just look at the aperture of the main [wide] vs ultrawide vs telephoto...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chidoro

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
Are you sure you set the camera to the 2x lens before starting the first recording?
The phone selects the lenses based on available brightness and the distance of objects.
If i start a recording on the 0,5x lens and then zoom to 2x the phone only switches to the zoomed 1x lens if there is no object closer than the minimal focus distance of the 1x lens...

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
The issue is the camera was set the same for both examples and the lighting was the same for both examples.

The camera setting was 2x, the iPhone changed it. It does the same with still photos too. Test it yourself: set the camera to 2x and point the camera at your yard. Put your finger over the lenses till you find the one that is being used. Without changing anything point your camera at something inches away and check which lens is now being used. I know Apple does this to help us get the “best” image. I don’t need their help.

BTW, auto-fps was off in settings but it changed anyway. The camera app knows best I guess.

In years past in did pro video and owned a Sony CineAlta camera so I have an idea about how I want to setup a camera.

The problem is fixed now, I set my action button to fire up ProCam and it doesn’t change settings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.