Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well it's about the time of year that looking back to the past seasons highs or lows must move on to the anticipation of this years season.

Has your team bought wisely (or managed to fend off interest in your star player and keep hold of them!)
Crazy money being banded around in the UK at the moment.

Is your club under the stewardship of a new manager who will be able to take your team onwards and upwards? Or will it all end in a massive falling out around May?

Sadly my beloved West Ham has already kicked off their season with a 2-1 loss tonight in the Europa League Qualifying 3rd Round first leg against NK Domzale.
Hopefully we can turn it around back at our place next week.

I wonder how many fans are dreaming that this will be their year and they can do a Leicester?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
All "rumors" point towards a United move for Pogba for 100mn pounds! Not sure I agree with the valuation.

Arsenal should really try to land a decent striker and a CB and if possible an enforcer in midfield. Knowing Wenger, they're probably getting a youngster for one of the positions.

Reactions: circatee

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
All "rumors" point towards a United move for Pogba for 100mn pounds! Not sure I agree with the valuation.

Arsenal should really try to land a decent striker and a CB and if possible an enforcer in midfield. Knowing Wenger, they're probably getting a youngster for one of the positions.
£100,000,000 isn't want it used to be against the € you know!
But yes the deal is apparently stalling over who pays his agent £20 million. Nice work if you can get it.
I'm really hoping Payet was being rested last night rather than absent for any other reason.
We too need a quality striker, and have been linked with many, but no deal yet. When your not one of the top teams, it's hard to attract the right calibre of player.
Looking forward to our first game in our new stadium, although a little apprehensive we will lose the atmosphere of Upton Park.
Also miffed that there are no available tickets!

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
£100,000,000 isn't want it used to be against the € you know!
But yes the deal is apparently stalling over who pays his agent £20 million. Nice work if you can get it.
I'm really hoping Payet was being rested last night rather than absent for any other reason.
We too need a quality striker, and have been linked with many, but no deal yet. When your not one of the top teams, it's hard to attract the right calibre of player.
Looking forward to our first game in our new stadium, although a little apprehensive we will lose the atmosphere of Upton Park.

I heard season tickets went like hot cakes. I bet you have the same problem we did when we moved from Highbury to the Emirates. It takes a while to get the atmosphere back and set a tone for the ground...

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England

Plenty of atmosphere at the Anniversary Games the other day, although I appreciate watching athletics is different from football. Enjoy your new home!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Plenty of atmosphere at the Anniversary Games the other day, although I appreciate watching athletics is different from football. Enjoy your new home!
The enjoyment will come from filling our trophy room!
A colleague was at the anniversary games, but I'm more of a football/F1 fan than athletics.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Jonathan Calleri looks like he's on his way to West Ham.
Other than that it's still lots of rumours and not many signings.
I wonder if some players are waiting to see how we get on Thursday before committing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, I had wondered when the new season's thread would be up and running.

Thank you for rising to the challenge and doing the needful, @Apple fanboy.

Last year, I was enthusiastic about Leicester for reasons of romance, and a joy in seeing a club that had never won the League pull that off for the first time in their history in much more challenging circumstances than had existed the last time they had come close (late 50s, early 60s). Because I like Claudio Ranieri, I would like to see them do well this year, too.

However, the rest of the time, I am something of an Arsenal supporter.

To be honest, I expect the spectacle provided by the Olympics to distract from events - including transfers - at the very beginning of the season. Moreover, European duty (at the European Championships) may have meant that the season was a bit longer than usual for some of the elite players and so they may start the new season less rested than might otherwise have been the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well I'm all for a club whose never won the Premier leauge to win this year! Just as long as they wear claret and blue and play in East London!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Big night for us tonight. First game at our new home and second leg of our UEFA qualifying.
Got off to a good start. 2 goals to the good despite a weakened team.
[doublepost=1470339848][/doublepost]A man sent off for NK Domzale.
Hope we can see out the second half the same as the first.
In other West Ham news, Sakho's move to West Brom is off. He refused to go on our preseason tour, so if nobody else comes in for him, it's going to be a tad awkward.

Reactions: JamesMike

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
J42nfAx.png

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Football and Wenger have both lost the plot. Over-inflater prices and penny pinching.

£48m for a 'talented' defender
£94m for a 'talented' midfielder
£76m for an overweight 29yr old forward with question marks in big occasions.

Ridiculous. EPL continues to be a victim of its own riches.

But hey, more elbow grease.

Looking forward to the Liverpool game. Hopefully for at least a draw.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In other transfer news, West Ham broke our transfer record today in signing Andre Ayew. We needed a quality striker who's going to hit 20+ goals a season. Is he going to deliver that? Not so sure. Would Benteke have been a better option?
Personally I feel it was our defence that let us down last year more than anything. We picked up Arthur Masuaku yesterday, left back from Olympiacos.
So in total we have made 8 signings so far.
But as we are playing Chelsea on Monday night, they don't have long to gel.
[doublepost=1470779781][/doublepost]
Football and Wenger have both lost the plot. Over-inflater prices and penny pinching.

£48m for a 'talented' defender
£94m for a 'talented' midfielder
£76m for an overweight 29yr old forward with question marks in big occasions.

Ridiculous. EPL continues to be a victim of its own riches.

But hey, more elbow grease.

Looking forward to the Liverpool game. Hopefully for at least a draw.
Agree there is a lot of money being bounded around, but remember some of that increase (when buying from Europe), is due to a weaker pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.