Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Sad news about Atkinson, details on the story were quite scanty but this is obviously a terrible outcome regardless. He was far too young.

United, City and Madrid are the main culprits. Then people look at them and apply similar rules to themselves. As long as fans keep paying, it won't stop.

I love football but i don't plan to renew my sports package next month. Especially now that my subscription cost is apparently going up...again. And i'm getting less for my money.

The most expensive defenders in history are currently John Stones, Eliaquim Mangala, and David Luiz. Excellent ball players all, but their ability to defend is very much in question....

I bought a Liverpool shirt. Once. About ten years ago. I occasionally watch matches in a bar, so a fraction of the cost of my beer goes to the Premier League and Liverpool...someday I might buy a ticket to watch a match at Anfield, but being a 'fan' doesn't necessarily mean getting mugged. I love the sport, I like to watch my teams, but they've already priced me out of their replica shirts and TV packages.

I might feel a little different if I were a Liverpudlian, but very little of the club's money actually goes to the local community anyway. So it's hard to see big Premier League clubs as anything other than multinational corporations sometimes...you might as well be wearing a Coca Cola shirt.

EDIT: Chelsea far from convincing against West Ham so far...

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Make that 2-1, thanks to footballing arch-villain Costa. Just another game where Costa should get sent off, doesn't, and then has a big effect on the game.

He's a dirty cheat.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Several clubs making noises about signing Joe Hart from Manchester City... I'm happy Liverpool isn't one of them. Hart is not a bad keeper but I'm genuinely not sure whether he's an upgrade on Mignolet, and with Loris Karius set to push for No. 1 status I don't think we need to spend money on another keeper.

Too many high-profile mistakes from Hart, though it seems Guardiola is more concerned about his footwork and distribution than his shot-stopping or aerial abilities.

Still praying that Klopp signs a left back to replace/augment Moreneo...though it's definitely not going to happen. I suspect I'll be here in January bitching about how many points he's cost us. It's not the getting caught out of position that bothers me so much (that's a risk you take when pressing, regardless of the skill of your fullbacks) as the wild tackles. he needs to be more clinical in his challenges, and to stop making them in the box. Perhaps when Joe Gomez is fit again he can put some pressure on Moreno, because right now he's going to have to be relied upon.

Last edited:

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Wenger is stubborn and borderline deluded. But he's allowed to be because of the people behind him.

Hart seems set for Everton. Non of the 'top' clubs are particularly struggling in the GK dept. Everton need to replace Howard so it makes sense.

Reactions: circatee

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Hart is not a bad keeper ...

but he's not a good one either. :D

What hopes? For a transfer? A coach openly defending a player is important and a good thing imo - they'll talk different shop internally but no need to drag it out in the public. He somewhat also heavily implied it since he stated that they were searching for that position and that there are plenty of other players that could fill his role already in the team.

And the market for left backs is incredible difficult. When I read that Chelsea bought Baba for 20m+ and are now thinking about Hector for that position *giggles*

What a steal Dortmund made with Guerrero for 12m before he played that phenomenal Euro..

*giggles*

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Klopp defending Moreno, so yeah, my hopes are dashed.

Wenger needs to go after this season. There may be a period of uncertainty when he leaves, but it's past time for Wenger to move to international management and then retire.

Arsenal have a ton of money to spend, and the club should be able to attract a top caliber manager.
I agree. I'm sure Mourinho will be available before May! ;)

My club has the first leg of the final Europa leauge qualifying tonight against FC Astra.
Big game. Sadly not on TV.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Benteke gone to Crystal Palace. £27m with £5m add-ons, so the loss is relatively small, especially if he triggers all the add-ons. Liverpool will take a much bigger loss on Balotelli when he goes, but we always knew he was a big risk so I've written that one off. Sounds like Danny Ings might also be gone soon, leaving us with Origi and Sturridge as out-and-out strikers.

but he's not a good one either. :D

Yep. He's not Champions League quality IMHO.

What hopes? For a transfer? A coach openly defending a player is important and a good thing imo - they'll talk different shop internally but no need to drag it out in the public. He somewhat also heavily implied it since he stated that they were searching for that position and that there are plenty of other players that could fill his role already in the team.

I'd like to see more depth at left back for Liverpool; I think Moreno can easily become complacent if he knows he's always first choice because everyone behind him is going to be playing out of position.

But as you said, left backs are hard to find; it's quite rare to have two top quality left backs in the same squad. And I also take your point that Klopp is defending him in public but probably roasting him in private. He has a lot of talent but he just needs to figure out how to tackle.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I didn't see the game so no idea about Moreno - and I didn't forget his last minute action in the second leg against Pulisic vs Dortmund last season so I'm not particular fond of the guy either but I never understood coaches calling out their own players in public. The media and some "fans" are already tearing them apart whenever they can and the pressure must be immense. Besides some exceptions of course where it was necessary - although, imo, that is never the case when somebody has had a bad day or is in bad form (where it would be also on the coach to see that beforehand) or for any other purely sportif motif.

-

sportif motif...not sure one can say that in English, lol.

-

Is OW still roaming the "Rumours" btw?

- Beneteke, huh? Interesting. *starts FFantasizing*

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Beneteke for £32,000,000? Not sure if he's that good but only time will tell.

As for WH we got a draw with an away goal. Another late goal though like Monday. Hope letting in late ones isn't going to be a theme of our season.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I totally understand Liverpool wanting to make their money back. But, it's as if Beneteke didn't stand a chance at Liverpool. He may produce his Villa form, at Palace.

Now, who are Arsenal buying? That's all I want to know. Talk about depressing. Even Hull are signing players. Ugh...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I didn't see the game so no idea about Moreno - and I didn't forget his last minute action in the second leg against Pulisic vs Dortmund last season so I'm not particular fond of the guy either but I never understood coaches calling out their own players in public. The media and some "fans" are already tearing them apart whenever they can and the pressure must be immense. Besides some exceptions of course where it was necessary - although, imo, that is never the case when somebody has had a bad day or is in bad form (where it would be also on the coach to see that beforehand) or for any other purely sportif motif.

-

sportif motif...not sure one can say that in English, lol.

-

Is OW still roaming the "Rumours" btw?

- Beneteke, huh? Interesting. *starts FFantasizing*

Sportif Motif...perhaps the closes English equivalent would be "purely sporting reasons"?

I agree that Klopp should be defending Moreno to some extent, or at least not publicly chastising him (only Mourinho does that his own players). But privately he should be pointing out where his weaknesses are and making him work on that.

I totally understand Liverpool wanting to make their money back. But, it's as if Beneteke didn't stand a chance at Liverpool. He may produce his Villa form, at Palace.

Now, who are Arsenal buying? That's all I want to know. Talk about depressing. Even Hull are signing players. Ugh...

Benteke is not a top-drawer striker, but he can be very effective - when the team is built to take advantage of his assets, which are size and power. Trying to make him effective in a scurrying, pressing Klopp team is about as effective as bolting a snow plow onto the front of a Ferrari. Both are great on their own, but each do different things and they don't work together.

I expect Benteke to be successful at Palace, they will play to his strengths.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Now the real questions:
- can we beat Leicester on Saturday?
- will Vardy score against us?
- will Mahrez be devastating?
- will us Arsenal supporters end up going into total melt down by the end of the day?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
@Fizzoid - What is your take on all the Fessi mess*?

*Sheffield Wednesday's star striker, Fernando Forestieri, refused to go play at Norrich this past weekend and was rumored to be demanding to be sold to the likes of L**ds, then NUFC.

He's since offered an apology but there is still a bitter taste in my mouth...

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Now the real questions:
- can we beat Leicester on Saturday? Yes...Leicester are still hungover and without Kante are very vulnerable.
- will Vardy score against us? Most likely
- will Mahrez be devastating? Most likely
- will us Arsenal supporters end up going into total melt down by the end of the day? Most definitely

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
@Fizzoid - What is your take on all the Fessi mess*?

*Sheffield Wednesday's star striker, Fernando Forestieri, refused to go play at Norrich this past weekend and was rumored to be demanding to be sold to the likes of L**ds, then NUFC.

He's since offered an apology but there is still a bitter taste in my mouth...
Stick him in the reserves and make him see out his contract.
Of course until that happens, players will continue their clubs around.
[doublepost=1471624122][/doublepost]
Now the real questions:
- can we beat Leicester on Saturday?
- will Vardy score against us?
- will Mahrez be devastating?
- will us Arsenal supporters end up going into total melt down by the end of the day?
Vardy to get the winner gets my vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.