Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This is exactly this kind of thing I feared - Liverpool play an attractive, attacking style, are technically skilled, and are led by a charismatic, gifted manager who wants to see high-concept football...

...but Liverpool are an incredibly easy team to play against. Mourinho-ball will kill them very time. Defend and counter: Liverpool can't break down packed defenses and always leave room at the back.

Every bottom half team Liverpool play will be like Burnley. Klopp needs to come up with a plan for that.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Two Manchester clubs and Chelsea at the top of the table already.

Given the money those three have spent, anything less would be an embarrassing fiasco. I fully expect them to remain in 1st-3rd all season, and continue there in the future as long as the money keeps flowing. We could be in for a few years of monotonous dominance.

Liverpool's only realistic hope of a top four finish is to displace Arsenal. If Klopp can beat them at Anfield Liverpool will hold a crucial head-to-head advantage. History suggests That Wenger will do enough to keep them in the Champions League, but if Liverpool can learn how to defend, anything is possible.

One thing is for sure - Liverpool won't be finishing in the top four with either Moreno or Milner playing left back. At this point all my hopes rest on Joe Gomez, or a new signing.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Given the money those three have spent, anything less would be an embarrassing fiasco. I fully expect them to remain in 1st-3rd all season, and continue there in the future as long as the money keeps flowing. We could be in for a few years of monotonous dominance.

Liverpool's only realistic hope of a top four finish is to displace Arsenal. If Klopp can beat them at Anfield Liverpool will hold a crucial head-to-head advantage. History suggests That Wenger will do enough to keep them in the Champions League, but if Liverpool can learn how to defend, anything is possible.

One thing is for sure - Liverpool won't be finishing in the top four with either Moreno or Milner playing left back. At this point all my hopes rest on Joe Gomez, or a new signing.
I wouldn't rule out Spurs for that fourth spot.

Our new signing is out for 4 months. Unless we bring in someone else, we will heavily be relying on Carroll staying fit.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I wouldn't rule out Spurs for that fourth spot.

I wouldn't either, especially considering their stingy defense. Nor Leicester or one or two other surprise teams.

Arsenal drop more points, with time against Leicester. Their two opening fixtures have not been easy, but the native are clearly restless.

Hull have won their first two opening matches. Not bad for a team everyone predicted could be on course for a record low points tally come May. They are already more than halfway to beating Derby's 11 point record and it's still August!

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Joel Campbell off to Sporting. On loan I believe. Not 100% sure on that one. I'd think Wenger would let Joel fight for his place like Iwobi did...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Two Manchester clubs and Chelsea at the top of the table already.
Agree on Liverpool. Already looks like another under achieving year.

A little early to say, as August results can be peculiar, and might not be a completely accurate reflection of what may unfold.

Having said that, yes, both Manchester clubs have started with a flourish, as have Chelsea, all three clearly intent on restoring their old aristocratic dominance if possible.

Yet, August is usually one of the easiest times for newly promoted teams to snatch strange and unexpected victories - a good time to salt away some points in the bag, points that may be invaluable come the following April or May.

For all of his faults, under Mr Wenger, Arsenal have almost always had a top four finish.

Agree about the stupendous sums of money spent by the top three clubs, - anything other than a spectacular start would be considered underwhelming.

Re the lamentable possibility of 'a few years of monotonous dominance', this is exactly why I was thrilled to see Leicester win the Premiership (by a clear ten points) this past season.

A welcome change, a new name on the trophy, a victory for romanticism and team spirit, and a lesson that money cannot buy everything all of the time (just most of the time).

Reactions: JamesMike

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Joel Campbell off to Sporting. On loan I believe. Not 100% sure on that one. I'd think Wenger would let Joel fight for his place like Iwobi did...

If i was him i'd have asked my agent to find me a club.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Glad we got the win. Picking up points against the likes of B'mouth is vital to do well in the PL.
Last year we did really well against the top clubs, but dropped silly points against teams where we should have done better.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Columbus actually won match this weekend, 2-0 over New England...away from home! Our first win in a very long time it seems. The season might not yet be technically lost yet, since 2/3 of the teams make the playoffs, but we're not going anywhere, and that's a fact. Still, getting into the playoffs would at least save a little face.

Reactions: twietee

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So, Bravo comes in at Man City. The press have been hyperventilating about Hart being dropped, but he's a pretty good goalkeeper - not a great one. Frankly, Man City should have a better keeper than Hart, or at least one that fits Pep's system better. Bravo meets those criteria. The only strike against him is age, but he should be good for a couple seasons at minimum, more than enough time to find a longer-term replacement.

I just hope Hart doesn't come to Liverpool. I'd rather they stick with Mignolet till the new guy is healthy. If Klopp spends money it should be on a left back or striker.

In bigger news, Rashford has been dropped to the England U21s...not necessarily a disaster for him but the Mourinho-isation of Man Utd continues. Earlier, fans talked excitedly about how he would be able to learn from Zlatan...but without playing time he might end up going backwards.

Last edited:

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
If i were a youth player at United i'd ask my agent to find me a loan move asap.

Meanwhile Barca and City are in the same CL group. Pep can never escape. Whilst Arsenal are grouped with PSG. And Leicester have Porto. Bayern/Athleti and Dortmund/Real.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If i were a youth player at United i'd ask my agent to find me a loan move asap.

Meanwhile Barca and City are in the same CL group. Pep can never escape. Whilst Arsenal are grouped with PSG. And Leicester have Porto. Bayern/Athleti and Dortmund/Real.
We'd find any of Man U's strikers a regular slot.
So many injuries, I'm half expecting a call from Slaven myself!
Especially if we progress tonight. Our squad just isn't big enough or robust enough.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
The full draw. Group B and C the toughest groups.

CquFfxEWAAAzLWR.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Leicester got an OK draw - they have a realistic chance of progressing, especially if they can get back to anything like the form they were in last season.

It should be pretty easy for all the big guns to win their group apart from the the Barca/City and Bayern/Atleti match-ups. But I don't see any of the top teams getting dumped out of the group stage.

Spurs are going to have a tough time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good bye Europe for another year then.
But we don't have the strength in depth to play in Europe and do well in the PL. Especially with our many injuries already.

Man City on Sunday, so another nice easy game then!

niijonodhg

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
United Kingdom
Seems like it could be a really interesting year in the Premier League. Need to make sure when my offer ends with Virgin I ring them up and make sure they give me a new deal!

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
For all the criticisms Wenger seems set to reach the £100m mark in terms of spending this summer

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Strangely West Ham have little depth. Also think its time to give up on Carroll
I think Carroll did alright last season. The main reason was we didn't rush him back after injuries and used him as a sub a lot of the time. At that level he'll do okay. It's just he's never going to be a 90 minutes once or twice a week man.
But we need a decent striker and everyone knows it. Unfortunately that is reflected in the price.
If we had stayed in Europe we might have found it easier to attract someone.
But with our current squad and injuries, last night was a blessing in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.