Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Looks like Pentax is taking a page out of Canon and Nikon's playbook and giving us a super low end enty level camera ala Rebel XS or D40.

It's called the Pentax K-M (M signifying 1000 in roman numerals, a throwback to the hugely popular K1000 of yester-year) it's supposed to have the image sensor and processing engine of the K200D, weather sealing, a 96% coverage pentamirror viewfinder, shake reduction, and is the smallest DSLR with in-body shake reduction available anywhere. The worst part is that the real Canon copying move is that it will have a flouro-plastic lens coupling, and Pentax will begin to release some entry level lenses with flouro-plastic lens mounts. This is all to save weight and cost I'm sure, and with all the features as long as newbies don't get hung up on the Canon or Nikon stigma I don't see this camera being beat in it's price segment.

While I'm personally not interested in this camera, I think it's probably a smart move, no doubt it's all the plastic fantastic rebel's that make cameras like the 1D series from Canon possible.

SLC

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Most important question is how much? I'm going to feel pretty stupid if it's insanely cheap, since I just ordered a D40 last night... :p

Looks like Pentax is taking a page out of Canon and Nikon's playbook and giving us a super low end enty level camera ala Rebel XS or D40.

It's called the Pentax K-M (M signifying 1000 in roman numerals, a throwback to the hugely popular K1000 of yester-year) it's supposed to have the image sensor and processing engine of the K200D, weather sealing, a 96% coverage pentamirror viewfinder, shake reduction, and is the smallest DSLR with in-body shake reduction available anywhere. The worst part is that the real Canon copying move is that it will have a flouro-plastic lens coupling, and Pentax will begin to release some entry level lenses with flouro-plastic lens mounts. This is all to save weight and cost I'm sure, and with all the features as long as newbies don't get hung up on the Canon or Nikon stigma I don't see this camera being beat in it's price segment.

While I'm personally not interested in this camera, I think it's probably a smart move, no doubt it's all the plastic fantastic rebel's that make cameras like the 1D series from Canon possible.

SLC

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Most important question is how much? I'm going to feel pretty stupid if it's insanely cheap, since I just ordered a D40 last night... :p

I'm not entirely certain about that, but I heard some speculation of a 2 lens kit (18-55 and 50-200) for just under $700. Don't quote me on that.

Pentax has offered price competitive alternatives to Nikon and Canon's entry level for years, but this is the first time that they've lowered quality to Canon and Nikon levels so I wouldn't be surprised to see it much cheaper than a rebel or D40/D60. Plus it's got weather sealing, which the others certainly don't.

SLC

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It's an interesting move to add the weather sealing and take away the metal lens coupling. Brilliant marketing decision there, since people will see the former, but mostly be oblivious to the latter.

I found some more info on it. Here's a photo:

00Qu4V-71979584.jpg

And the pricing:

PENTAX Km with the DA L 18-55 mm: 499 EUR
with the DA 18-55 mm L and L DA 50-200 mm: 599 EUR

Available in November.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
hopefully this creates new customers for Pentax.

Besides the k-m they are also releasing:

DA* 60-250 mm / 4,0 ED [IF] SDM = 1299 Euro, before Christmas at selected dealers

smc DA* 55 mm / 1,4 SDM = 549 Euro, before Christmas at selected dealers

AF160FC - ring flash = 399 Euro, at before Christmas at most dealers
----------------
to be seen at Photokina, no dates (spring/summer 2009 tentative) nor prices yet:
DA 15 / 4 Limited
DA 1.4x SDM rear converter

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, other than the name it doesn't have a lot in common with the K1000 (I've still got one of those somewhere, gathering dust). In-camera shake reduction, auto focus. BAH! HUMBUG! :p

I suppose that, given the cost of the sensor is such a significant part of the camera's cost, it wouldn't be possible to have a "Digital K1000". If it were possible, I think it would be a great camera for learning photography - but then again, as I've mentioned before... I'm old. :D

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
It's an interesting move to add the weather sealing and take away the metal lens coupling. Brilliant marketing decision there, since people will see the former, but mostly be oblivious to the latter.

The lens mount on the camera body is still going to be metal, it's the new 'DA-L' lenses that will have plastic mounts.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Hm, hope I'm not looking at my D40 in a month or two asking myself why I paid so much for it... seems like such a good deal now! Of course, we don't really know anything about this camera yet, since there's none out there for people to really test. Maybe it'll be areally great buy, or maybe it'll be a deal where you can spend a little more and get a better camera.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
My guess, 399 USD and 499 USD ...
It seems like everyone makes US prices by changing EUR to USD and dropping a hundred :rolleyes:

I'm going to bet on the other way - $599 and $699. That's EU499/599, minus VAT, converted directy into USD ($1.44 for EU1.00). It's a decent price for a new model camera in that range, and it won't make me feel bad about getting a D40. :p (I paid $400 for mine, so even if the Pentax is nicer, it's not likely $200 better).

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I'm going to bet on the other way - $599 and $699. That's EU499/599, minus VAT, converted directy into USD ($1.44 for EU1.00). It's a decent price for a new model camera in that range, and it won't make me feel bad about getting a D40. :p (I paid $400 for mine, so even if the Pentax is nicer, it's not likely $200 better).

Well, since it's kind of a stripped down K200D, and K200D with a kit lens can be had for just under 600$ this one has to be less. I should revise my guess to somewhere between 450$ and 500$.
I'm hoping the price for a K20D would come down a bit too, so I can get one :)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm going to guess it'll be $549 at release with the DA 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and the 50-200 f/4-5.6. Remember that this is a stripped down version of the K200D (though it doesn't exactly look like it on paper), and those two lenses in the package will be the new ones. My guess is that if they've brought plastic to the lens mount to save money, they've probably tried to save money elsewhere too. (I really think this camera is going to go straight for the throat of the Canon Rebel and Nikon D40/60, even to the point of stooping to their level of quality in the kit lenses). Has anyone ever seen the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III (without USM)? It's a nightmare, and I'll bet the build quality of the new plastic mount lenses from Pentax won't be far off, you can get one of those Canon lenses for something like $150 right now.

SLC

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I really think this camera is going to go straight for the throat of the Canon Rebel and Nikon D40/60, even to the point of stooping to their level of quality in the kit lenses

I hope that's not the case, but the plastic bayonet doesn't bode well. Pentax lenses are so uniformly excellent, it would be a real pity for them to sully the line like that. Now if these new lenses turn out to be optically great and merely of cheaper build quality (à la Canon's Nifty Fifty), then that's not such a bad thing.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I hope that's not the case, but the plastic bayonet doesn't bode well. Pentax lenses are so uniformly excellent, it would be a real pity for them to sully the line like that. Now if these new lenses turn out to be optically great and merely of cheaper build quality (à la Canon's Nifty Fifty), then that's not such a bad thing.

I can't see them degrading the optics since they've already had these two lenses in production for a number of years, it would cost money for them to redesign the optics. The existing 18-55 and 50-200 are optically good (the 18-55 got the highest kit lens score from DPreview). I think it would make more sense for them to simply degrade the materials that the lens bodies are made from to save some cash, but keep the existing glass in them. These lenses are both very inexpensive as is (before the downgrade), they will be a steal in their new form. Keep in mind that they will still continue to make the 18-55 and 50-200 with a metal mount and the traditional better than average construction as well, there will simply be two versions of each lens.

Also, the K-M will have SDM support for pro grade lenses as well, I think Pentax is going this way from now on with all bodies.

SLC

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Any idea when the official announcement will be? I've seen stuff at a few websites (here, dpreview and pentaxforums) about the K-m, but no real clue on when it'll be official.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
There has been an official announcement from Pentax, but it came as a brief press release and only in German. Photokina starts next week, so we can expect a real set of specs and maybe even US pricing to be out by the end of the month.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Few more thoughts...

Looks like the K-m will have a metal mount from everything I'm hearing. It's only the cheaper kit lenses that will now have plastic mounts to save money and weight.

It's my impression that the K-m is the low end model so it should be around $500 if not cheaper if it's offered as body only. I'm talking street prices, by the way.

Also, there's supposed to be some pretty neat features that are unique to this camera.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Few more thoughts...

Looks like the K-m will have a metal mount from everything I'm hearing. It's only the cheaper kit lenses that will now have plastic mounts to save money and weight.

It's my impression that the K-m is the low end model so it should be around $500 if not cheaper if it's offered as body only. I'm talking street prices, by the way.

Also, there's supposed to be some pretty neat features that are unique to this camera.

Yeah, as kwajo.com posted earlier in this thread, the camera itself will have a metal mount.

What unique features is it supposed to have?

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Yeah, as kwajo.com posted earlier in this thread, the camera itself will have a metal mount.

What unique features is it supposed to have?
The rumors are just something with autofocus. Also, this appears to be the fastest FPS pentax thus far. Makes you wonder what they're going to do for their higher end cameras. Go up even higher?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.