Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Well, introducing a FF camera would be a good start.
Part of the problem is that they faded a lot with the digital camera. They used to be just as big as the others but now they're not.

So they need to try and get more money from young users. If they can get them onboard by having the best value starter camera they'll create a bigger need for FF cameras. Who knows, they might get a FF camera out there during photokina yet. They also have the 645D in the wings which would be quite the beast of a camera.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Part of the problem is that they faded a lot with the digital camera. They used to be just as big as the others but now they're not.

So they need to try and get more money from young users. If they can get them onboard by having the best value starter camera they'll create a bigger need for FF cameras.

I'm sure that's precisely why the K-m is coming out. They need to build their user base back up, and the entry level is the key starting point.

This is on Wikipedia: "The K1000's extraordinary longevity makes it a historically significant camera, despite its very ordinary design. Although the K1000 was already obsolete when it was first released, its inexpensive simplicity was a great virtue and earned it an unrivaled popularity as a basic but sturdy workhorse, particularly suited to educating inexperienced photographers. The Pentax K1000 eventually sold over three million units."

Pentax is of course hoping the K-m can be a replay of that success.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm sure that's precisely why the K-m is coming out. They need to build their user base back up, and the entry level is the key starting point.

This is on Wikipedia: "The K1000's extraordinary longevity makes it a historically significant camera, despite its very ordinary design. Although the K1000 was already obsolete when it was first released, its inexpensive simplicity was a great virtue and earned it an unrivaled popularity as a basic but sturdy workhorse, particularly suited to educating inexperienced photographers. The Pentax K1000 eventually sold over three million units."

Pentax is of course hoping the K-m can be a replay of that success.
That'd be great if that were the case. Hopefully it can take P&S users and turn them into SLR photographers

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Wha-huh?
Yvon Bourque(http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/) shows (as of 00:33 AZ time) this camera as the K2000. The press release he has also says that that the new lenses "offer the same optical design, construction and compatibility as the current smc PENTAX DA 18-55mm II and smc PENTAX DA 50-200mm lenses." Does this mean the bayonets are not plastic?I'm excited, in a way. It's great that Pentax is making this leap downmarket, where a lot of the R&D money comes from. However, I'm a little dismayed that this camera is, in a lot of ways, equal to how I use my K10D, in a smaller and (likely) much cheaper package.

Edit. Dpreview.com shows it as the K-m. Apparently, after I re-read the article, Bourque said that the K2000 is available outside the U.S. as K-m. The K2000 will be available in November with the DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL lens and PENTAX AF200FG flash for $699. USD. It appears that the K2000 kit with the 18-55 and the 50-200 will be available beginning in early 2009.
Further edit: Whether or not Bourque meant that the bayonets were, as I interpreted them, metal, dpreview has said that they'll be plastic. Darn me and my excited reading.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The downside of Pentax isn't price. The K200D is good enough. A smaller size won't help them either.

The problem with Pentax is that they're not taken seriously as a photography company. They have no "great" pro cameras, and seem to be aiming squarely at the low end. Nobody wants to invest in a loser. Make and publicize some good, massive zooms with their super-sonic motor, and make it fit full frame cameras. Then make a full frame camera to go with it. ;)

According to marketers, the past 10 years has been characterized by a lack of brand loyalty, which is very unlike the 10 years prior to that. The camera market is no different. People who haven't heard of Pentax look at the product lineup and think it's a joke (having more models on the shelf simply looks better), while people who are thinking ahead don't see any new lenses that they may want.

I liked the K10D, but you always want to feel that the DSLR brand you're with creates products that are well beyond your potential -- something that better photographers spend loads of money on. If the rather low-priced K20D owners look up and don't see a better camera, they're simply not going to be swept away. Even Sony can enter the DSLR market and do well while companies like Samsung cannot, despite having higher brand value than Sony (and pretty much every other consumer electronics company). Why? Because regardless of how much people like and instantly recognize a Samsung product, they're not going to buy a Samsung-branded DSLR if it's a piece of ****, or if it's the only thing on offer.

And sorry, but this is coming from someone who recommends Pentax cameras if someone asks me what to buy.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
The downside of Pentax isn't price. The K200D is good enough. A smaller size won't help them either.

The problem with Pentax is that they're not taken seriously as a photography company. They have no "great" pro cameras, and seem to be aiming squarely at the low end.

I fear that you are partially right. However, I'm still glad to see them being realistic. Sony has the cash on hand to do pretty much anything they want. Olympus has a lot of things going besides just cameras so they have some financial basis to create an upscale camera. But Pentax is the only brand that hasn't got that ability just yet. I think that if they were to create a nice FF camera right now they'd bleed themselves dry doing it, and then the Canon and Nikon fanboys would poo-poo it into the ground and they'd likely go bankrupt as a result.

They're realistic about what they can support right now, and if this K-M catches on even a fourth of the way the K1000 did in the past, they will move rapidly forward on that cash inflow.

And I learned something interesting, apparently Samsung is likely going to go solo with DSLR production. They'll still use the K mount for lenses, but rumor is that they will no longer be re-badging Pentax DSLR's. That's certainly not going to help as much as it could.

SLC

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
wow, that sounds amazing :) can't wait to see the specs on that. in-body VR and weather sealing is amazing

Looks like Pentax is taking a page out of Canon and Nikon's playbook and giving us a super low end enty level camera ala Rebel XS or D40.

It's called the Pentax K-M (M signifying 1000 in roman numerals, a throwback to the hugely popular K1000 of yester-year) it's supposed to have the image sensor and processing engine of the K200D, weather sealing, a 96% coverage pentamirror viewfinder, shake reduction, and is the smallest DSLR with in-body shake reduction available anywhere. The worst part is that the real Canon copying move is that it will have a flouro-plastic lens coupling, and Pentax will begin to release some entry level lenses with flouro-plastic lens mounts. This is all to save weight and cost I'm sure, and with all the features as long as newbies don't get hung up on the Canon or Nikon stigma I don't see this camera being beat in it's price segment.

While I'm personally not interested in this camera, I think it's probably a smart move, no doubt it's all the plastic fantastic rebel's that make cameras like the 1D series from Canon possible.

SLC

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Apparently it's going to be the Pentax K2000 everywhere but Europe. But will be the K-m in Europe.

I'm guessing Samsung won't go out on their own, if anything else they'd throw money at Pentax or help them develop things. Why would they custom make sensors for the K20D if they didn't want to work with Pentax? I feel like they're probably pretty committed.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
K2000

Well, on Monday I ordered the k200d, the price, just over $500 body only, a day later the price jumped to $550, maybe as a result of the reveal of the K2000, which according to Dpreview offers little improvement to the k200d: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxkm/
I personally would choose better weather sealing, than a higher ISO, and am glad I jumped when I did. :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hm, hope I'm not looking at my D40 in a month or two asking myself why I paid so much for it...

You mean you would have selected Pentax over Nikon had Pentax's entry level SLR body been $100 cheaper than Nikon's. Saving $100 is a short sighted way to select a brand because you will be committed to that brand for a long time as you buy lenses flash units and upgrade/replace the SLR body several times over the years.

But yes I know. many people do select a brand based solely on the price of the entry level camera body. Nikon and Canon should sell the bodies at zero mark up just to snag new customers

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
You mean you would have selected Pentax over Nikon had Pentax's entry level SLR body been $100 cheaper than Nikon's. Saving $100 is a short sighted way to select a brand because you will be committed to that brand for a long time as you buy lenses flash units and upgrade/replace the SLR body several times over the years.

But yes I know. many people do select a brand based solely on the price of the entry level camera body. Nikon and Canon should sell the bodies at zero mark up just to snag new customers

Also, a lot of people just buy the DSLR with the one or two kit lenses and don't ever buy any other lenses. This goes especially for the entry level cameras.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

I bought into Pentax because of the system. You can't get anything like those FA limited prime lenses from Canon or Nikon. Not everyone who takes their photography needs to have a Canon or a Nikon, but every time you post this response you seem to imply that.

And I need to ask why you feel that once you pick a brand for your first DSLR you will remain committed to that brand forever? I have plans to add a D700 to my arsenal soon, but I can't stick my favorite lenses on it so I'll be keeping the Pentax gear when I do. I'll maintain two systems, and each will have it's strong points and it's weak points.

I have a buddy that shoots Pentax for his all around camera, has a Nikon that's IR converted, and a Canon solely for shooting through that MPE-65 1-5x macro that only Canon makes.

He doesn't seem to have a problem supporting 3 systems and he's no wealthy man.

SLC

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Not everyone who takes their photography needs to have a Canon or a Nikon, but every time you post this response you seem to imply that.
Isn't that how it is?;)

I bought into the Pentax system because of the lenses as well. I got a 50mm quick little lens for $30. Simply because its old, but still works just the same!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

Attachments

• Picture 25.png
    Picture 25.png
    99 KB · Views: 52

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Well, introducing a FF camera would be a good start.

I was at Photokina and there was talk from several high-ups in the Pentax Corp. about NOT producing a FF camera and instead going forward with the 645D project (medium format) instead. It wasn't an official announcement per say, but it definitely had some legitimacy behind it. And it makes sense too - Pentax has a legacy line of medium format lenses that could easily be used for a digital medium format. Additionally, the replacement for the K200D and the K20D are expected to be announced spring of 2009 - both with new sensors that may or may not be from Samsung - and are expected to remain APS-C. Pentax thinks it can hit FF image quality with APS-C and undercut the until now extremely expensive digital medium format market with the 645D. Can you imagine a $3000 MF Pentax?

See here for more info: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=29487291

Nice! :)

I'm just now noticing that the camera has no pop-up flash. Or am I just not seeing it?

It's got one. You posted the picture on page 1 of this thread that showed it! :p :)

FWIW I think the K-M will do quite well - especially with those who are just moving up from P&S. The only thing that I can really see hurting it is the lack of Liveview.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Interesting, vvvvvery interesting.
My questions are this, what are all the differences between the K-M, and K200D. I am wondering how much smaller it will be. Without the metail coupling, it will need quite a bit more to make up for that loss. I think a kit flash would be a neat idea as well. I think the camera sounds like it has some good potential, if priced right, and doesnt lose tons of features from the k200d.
I gotta say I love the name as well, K-M :D

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I was at Photokina and there was talk from several high-ups in the Pentax Corp. about NOT producing a FF camera and instead going forward with the 645D project (medium format) instead. It wasn't an official announcement per say, but it definitely had some legitimacy behind it. And it makes sense too - Pentax has a legacy line of medium format lenses that could easily be used for a digital medium format. Additionally, the replacement for the K200D and the K20D are expected to be announced spring of 2009 - both with new sensors that may or may not be from Samsung - and are expected to remain APS-C. Pentax thinks it can hit FF image quality with APS-C and undercut the until now extremely expensive digital medium format market with the 645D. Can you imagine a $3000 MF Pentax?

See here for more info: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=29487291
Thanks for the info! Sure sounds like some exciting new stuff is coming out of from Pentax. Now all I need is some spare cash for that new newly released DA* 55mm f1.4 :eek:

Hopefully the K2000 will improve Pentax's image, you'd be hard pressed to find any Pentax dSLR in an electronics stores down here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.