Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well...probably good for me. I told myself i'd wait for the first price drop. (a bit off topic, but does anyone know how long it took for the D200 to get its first price drop?) Because if it's a really long time, i might just get a D300 if they become available again soon.

Price drop?

Advice: Pre-order from small shops now, not later. You're waiting for a price drop on a camera that doesn't need a price drop. There are more Nikon users than there were when the D200 came out (D40 and D80 being 2 good reasons), and I'm guessing there are more people willing to upgrade to the D300 now. Also, the 2 new cameras have received such a crazy amount of fanfare that I don't think you'll see a price drop for awhile, not until after an upgrade to the D80 happens, which won't be for around 6 months, I think. Why discount a camera that's still backlogged like crazy?

I guess a D80s could be released this coming February, but who knows. I think new lenses are more likely.

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Price drop?

Advice: Pre-order from small shops now, not later. You're waiting for a price drop on a camera that doesn't need a price drop. There are more Nikon users than there were when the D200 came out (D40 and D80 being 2 good reasons), and I'm guessing there are more people willing to upgrade to the D300 now. Also, the 2 new cameras have received such a crazy amount of fanfare that I don't think you'll see a price drop for awhile, not until after an upgrade to the D80 happens, which won't be for around 6 months, I think. Why discount a camera that's still backlogged like crazy?

I guess a D80s could be released this coming February, but who knows. I think new lenses are more likely.

Well, that's the thing, if it's going to be about 6 months before a price drop. I think i can wait that long. If it's going to be closer to a year....i might as well just buy it now. Just bought the 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8, getting a D300 within the same month and i might have to check myself into NAS anonymous......

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What if the price drop you're waiting for is only $80?? It's very likely that the drop in price won't be very large. Large price drops will be seen when the D300 is old, and/or about to be replaced.

Nikon does not have to drop their price due to lack of demand. The only reason they would drop the price is because Sony and Canon drop the price on the A700 and 40D, or the D80s is released. The reason I believe Nikon will drop the price on the D300 when the D80s is released is because the difference in price between them may be too large at release, and people would start considering the D80 over the D300. They want people to think that the price of the D300 isn't that much higher for what you're getting, and $800 extra for a D300 is a tough sell for some people, even people who want a good camera, and have the money to spend. That, and market pressure from Canon will make Nikon drop their price. Everything else about the D300 will be different from a D80s, but for marketing purposes, using the same sensor as the D300 will be a big deal. Not everyone needs 51-AF points for an additional $800.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
If you live in the US, try jellyfish.com. This is a comparison-shopping website with a number of affiliated etailers who offer additional discounts.

If you've never used jellyfish before, you must create an account, wait for an email that acknowledges your account, click on the "activate" link in that email, then:

1. Go back to jellyfish.com and log in.
2. Click the "Stores" button near the top right of the homepage.
3. Find "Ritz Camera" in the alphabetical list.
4. Go to the Ritz Camera website using the button shown in the list. Ritz Camera offers a 10% discount to jellyfish users.
5. Now put a D300 and/or MB-D10 grip in the shopping cart.
6. When checking out, if you have a PayPal account, use the "Check out with PayPal" option for an additonal 20% savings up to a max of $50.
7. An hour or so later jellyfish will send you an email indicating the cash back you will receive (takes up to 60 days).

Ritz Camera does not have a Nikon D300 or MB-D10 in stock right now, but I ordered from them anyway for a savings of $207 from jellyfish and $50 from PayPal. Oh, and no sales tax and free shipping!

(I'm not affiliated with any of the firms mentioned above.)

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Abstract.... can't you help a young adult save some cash??? ;)

ok....maybe i'll order a D300.... VISA will love me after this month. haha

To the poster above....very interesting, i might try this out when i get home from work.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Woohoo! Amazon has some D300s in stock. And not selling for the premium other retailers are trying at.

Does anyone with a D300 have the new vertical grip to go with it? How does it feel? Is it solid? Feels like part of the body? :)

Edit: Ha! Amazon already appears to be sold out of its lot.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, the vertical grip/battery holder is MUCH better than the one on the D200; it feels much more secure and more integrated into the unit. I like the fact that one can use it for various types of batteries, including the EN-EL4a that is normally used in the pro-level bodies. That gives the camera a bit more "oomph" for high-speed shooting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.