Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
First it was the Dashboard (rip) key. Then it was the Launch Pad (soon to be gone?) key. And now it's the Spotlight key, which seems pointless given the ⌘ + space shortcut is so convenient. I never press it, ever.

Do people like it the way it is, or is there a better-suited function? Personally, I'd like to see backlights across the entire keyboard line up — including all models of wireless keyboards — and then have F5 and F6 as brightness toggle. That would mean getting rid of the Do Not Disturb key, but it's another one I simply never use.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Probably referring to keyboard on m1 macs. Whose bright idea was it to remove keyboard backlight control and replace it with useless a useless DND, spotlight, and dictation keys.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
AppleScript that can be saved as an app for setting F5 & F6 to keyboard brightness
AppleScript:
set UserKeyMapping to do shell script "hidutil property -g UserKeyMapping"
set question to display dialog (UserKeyMapping as text) & return & "Would you like to" buttons {"Disable KeyMapping", "Enable KeyMapping", "Cancel"} default button 2
set answer to button returned of question
if answer is equal to "Disable KeyMapping" then
    do shell script "hidutil property --set '{\"UserKeyMapping\":[]}'"
end if
if answer is equal to "Enable KeyMapping" then
    do shell script "hidutil property --set '{\"UserKeyMapping\":[{\"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingSrc\":0xC000000CF,\"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingDst\":0xFF00000009},{\"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingSrc\":0x10000009B,\"HIDKeyboardModifierMappingDst\":0xFF00000008}]}'"
end if
if answer is equal to "Cancel" then
    return
end if

Alternative
Remap spotlight (F4) and diction (F5) keys to decrease and increase keyboard brightness
https://gist.github.com/ehamiter/628aa6decdd33401609e2b48f6cf17f6
How to remapping keys on macOS without thirdparty applications
https://gist.github.com/bennlee/0f5bc8dc15a53b2cc1c81cd92363bf18

Reactions: zevrix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.