Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Let's give this a shot. We were flooding the Pixel thread with iPhone X discussion, so I have put together this "Non-denominational" thread for iOS/Android phone discussion. We are an interesting bunch of fence sitters and we should have a general discussion thread.

Key thread goals
  1. Honest Discussion of iOS/Android phones
  2. Judgement-free(ish) discussion of various alternatives to iOS
  3. Owner impressions of why they use the phones they use

Reactions: Glmnet1

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
OK..

I use Android because I like control I want to be able to flash and use the software I want to use not what a company thinks is best for me.

I use a Nexus because it's easy to deal with on the flashing and because of the generally bad cell coverage up here I now use Fi so I can network bounce.

I don't dislike iStuff or Macs, until I came back to the states I made a living on a Mac and my desk still has an old iMac that I use so I can figure out the problems my all Apple all the time wife has.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, my BIL used to have it but eventually joined my family plan when he and my sister got married. He was blowing through data (I should know, lol. He's on my account)

Reactions: 5105973

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Yeah, my BIL used to have it but eventually joined my family plan when he and my sister got married. He was blowing through data (I should know, lol. He's on my account)

I just surf and WhatsApp call my wife and daughter. TBH even if I used more I'd still keep it for the network switching, here on the installation if I head a half mile east of my desk I need to switch networks when I go out to the ranges I used to have no signal and now I have voice.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm using a V30+ because it gets a signal everywhere I need it to and the quad DAC is incredible.

The device is so light it doesn't end up giving me wrist pain.

I do hope they sort this modem issue and they still have a Touch ID device next year that isn't just the SE. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I love Android, but used iPhone's for longer (from about 2009 to 2013 solidly with some phones in between - BlackBerry, mainly).

Got bored of iOS, and Android has just got better and better. Love the customisation, love the design of some Android phones and the choice on offer. I also like that lots of cool features often come to Android first (wireless charging, fast charging etc).

However, having spent the majority of the year with Android I am now rocking an iPhone X and loving it.
Great phone, lovely design and build and the software (Whilst not buttery smooth like everyone expects), is still fantastic at just ticking along nicely.
Apps look good, are feature packed, often updated more than Android equivalents and I'm discovering Apple Home at the moment which is a nice addition.

Will I stay on iOS all next year? No, doubt it very much. But glad that the X has finally given iPhone users a new design and OLED.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I am platform agnostic. I love both iOS and Android, and find both annoying in different areas. I currently am using a Pixel XL 2 and an iPhone X. Was going to send the latter back but fell in love with it.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Still have a Nexus 7 and 5 around for my Android fix. I still love the display on the 7 as I find it sharper than even the iPad Pro display I have now. I was going to get the Pixel but Google ruined it with the display. I have ordered the iPhone X to be delivered a few weeks from now although the display size is going to be a problem coming from the Plus. I like huge screens now so not sure if it will work out.

Reactions: AustinIllini

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I have and use both an iPhone 8+ and a Pixel 2 XL. I prefer the iPhone, not because of the hardware or OS (which are pretty comparable in quality between the two devices), but for the simple reason that the apps I use most are simply better on iOS. Tweetbot and Overcast, in particular, don’t have anything similar of comparable quality and usability on Android.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have and use both an iPhone 8+ and a Pixel 2 XL. I prefer the iPhone, not because of the hardware or OS (which are pretty comparable in quality between the two devices), but for the simple reason that the apps I use most are simply better on iOS. Tweetbot and Overcast, in particular, don’t have anything similar of comparable quality and usability on Android.
I hear this a lot. It's amazing that a company with a significantly smaller market share is able to land all the great Apps.

For me, iPhone is just the hardware consistency I wanted in a device and I live around the corner from the Apple Store.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm using a V30+ because it gets a signal everywhere I need it to and the quad DAC is incredible.

The device is so light it doesn't end up giving me wrist pain.

I do hope they sort this modem issue and they still have a Touch ID device next year that isn't just the SE. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
The video capabilities on the V30 are supposed to be amazing. Have you taken any video yet?

I’m going to start checking out the reviews again. What I want is killer stereo audio on video again. I’m not sure I’ll end up buying a new phone to get that or just steal my husband’s S7 Edge. My S7 Edge did amazing audio quality for video, but sometimes the mic would erupt in a stream of static as if something broke loose. It was unpredictable as to when that would happen so I was excited to upgrade to the S8+. But to my shock and dismay my S8+ audio flat out sucks compared to what I got on the S7Edge. Video quality is beautiful on the S8+ but audio was just not as good as I was used to on Samsung, picking up sound from the front just wasn’t happening well, though the stereo effect was acceptable. It was very disappointing step back compared to what I was used to on the S7 Edge. I can do stereo audio on an iPhone with a plug in mic but it’s often easier and more fun just to grab an Android to do the job.

V30 with the Pixel selfie camera and still camera software would be killer. :eek:
[doublepost=1511803288][/doublepost]
I am platform agnostic. I love both iOS and Android, and find both annoying in different areas. I currently am using a Pixel XL 2 and an iPhone X. Was going to send the latter back but fell in love with it.
Envy. So very green. Very very green. :D

I am very happy with my iPhone X. I wasn’t expecting to be but I do love it. I thought it would be hard to give up my 7 Plus big screen since going tall and skinny on my S8+ felt a bit constrained, honestly. But the display being flat makes a difference to me. I’m very comfortable with the dimensions. Video can look a little narrow but I zoom in and ignore the notch. Not everyone could but I find I easily tune it out.

The battery life is really good except I installed Animal Crossing and that is eating battery a bit. Setting it down on wireless charging makes that easier to bear. I can’t wait for Apple to release the multi device charging pad. If they could have released that now it would be such an easy Christmas present.

My S8+ is a beautiful phone and has excellent features. Owning it has been a matter of mixed emotions. I know I will want dual lenses for an upgrade. But the Note 8 just didn’t excite me for some reason. I’m keen to see S9 news.

Reactions: ultravegeta1981

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The battery life on the X so far is fine. I have a charging pad in my office from my iPhone 8 Plus experience, so I obviously don't qualify to answer fully on my current usage. Also, I just got the device, so...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Who is this person? The questions are kind of brutal. Even for a non-techie, these questions are super leading. Mr. Mobile does great to answer, however.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The video capabilities on the V30 are supposed to be amazing. Have you taken any video yet?

I’m going to start checking out the reviews again. What I want is killer stereo audio on video again. I’m not sure I’ll end up buying a new phone to get that or just steal my husband’s S7 Edge. My S7 Edge did amazing audio quality for video, but sometimes the mic would erupt in a stream of static as if something broke loose. It was unpredictable as to when that would happen so I was excited to upgrade to the S8+. But to my shock and dismay my S8+ audio flat out sucks compared to what I got on the S7Edge. Video quality is beautiful on the S8+ but audio was just not as good as I was used to on Samsung, picking up sound from the front just wasn’t happening well, though the stereo effect was acceptable. It was very disappointing step back compared to what I was used to on the S7 Edge. I can do stereo audio on an iPhone with a plug in mic but it’s often easier and more fun just to grab an Android to do the job.

V30 with the Pixel selfie camera and still camera software would be killer. :eek:

I am very happy with my iPhone X. I wasn’t expecting to be but I do love it. I thought it would be hard to give up my 7 Plus big screen since going tall and skinny on my S8+ felt a bit constrained, honestly. But the display being flat makes a difference to me. I’m very comfortable with the dimensions. Video can look a little narrow but I zoom in and ignore the notch. Not everyone could but I find I easily tune it out.

The battery life is really good except I installed Animal Crossing and that is eating battery a bit. Setting it down on wireless charging makes that easier to bear. I can’t wait for Apple to release the multi device charging pad. If they could have released that now it would be such an easy Christmas present.

My S8+ is a beautiful phone and has excellent features. Owning it has been a matter of mixed emotions. I know I will want dual lenses for an upgrade. But the Note 8 just didn’t excite me for some reason. I’m keen to see S9 news.

I'm so completely lame! I rarely use the camera. Unless I travel, I don't take photos or video. I got it for the size, weight, and audio capabilities. Perhaps I'll test this thing out when we travel again sometime.

I am going to do my best to not get another phone until around this time next year. I have to budget a bit harder.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
After watching the video linked above, I have some thoughts. In my opinion Android and iOS both do things well and then are equal at others.

For iOS I would say: messaging
For Android I would say: notifications

From there it's not so simple as it's a matter of preference. I think Android, at least in stock form on a Pixel/Pixel 2, is at it's best which couldn't have came at a better time with the iOS 11 issues that some are having. However, Google really messed up with the QC issues on the Pixel 2 XL.

I think if you look at the whole picture, Apple is still in the lead. Apple has a lot of accessories, in store support, better integration across their products. I think their products and support is better for a wide range of users; whether technical or non-technical. Not to say Android isn't capable, but just the whole picture of what is offered from both.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Problem is, it's hard on android to find the level of balance between hardware and software that Apple has struck. Samsung is probably the closest, but their apps and services fall short of Apple.
Absolutely. The level of balance between hardware and software Apple has figured out. Although the Pixel 2 I have is pretty close if not equal.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Absolutely. The level of balance between hardware and software Apple has figured out. Although the Pixel 2 I have is pretty close if not equal.
If I had to pick between Pixel 2 and the equivalent iPhone (iPhone 8), I would say definitely go with Pixel 2, but if I compare Pixel 2 XL to iPhone 8 Plus, I have a hard time recommending the inconsistent 2XL relative to the solid 8 Plus (even considering how much better Android Oreo is than iOS 11).

There is no Pixel equivalent of iPhone X this generation.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Michael Fisher is my #1 favorite tech reviewer of all-time by far and even I don't always agree with him with some of the stuff he said here...

Josh Vergara is also one of my favs, and I didn't agree with him when he said Google Maps is superior to Apple Maps...

The best reviewer is really YOURSELF. You can't be a lemming and depend on another person's opinion like it is gospel.

Michael Fisher is correct in that previous video I posted that both platforms essentially do the same things. They both have flaws. It's which flaws you can live with it. They both have strengths. It's which strengths you prioritize higher.

I like the freedom of Android. I don't like being boxed in with Apple's sandbox. That's me. Others won't agree with that which is ok. I'm NOT going to force down my beliefs to anyone who may not enjoy it as much as me.

I used both platforms nearly equally the last 10 years. Maybe 6 yrs with Android and 4 years with iOS. I didn't just wake up yesterday from either side. That's 60/40 or close enough to US market share of 55/45. Globally, it's more 80/20 favoring Android.

I like certain things that both platforms do. I'm more of an iPhone "hardware" fan. Not into iOS or proprietary stuff like iCloud, iMessages, and iTunes.

To many Apple users, this might come as a surprise for some of you but for every complaint about an Android phone, there are also millions if not billions of happy Android owners.

There is like over a billion iPhones sold but about 2B "active" Android users. Billions of Android users didn't just settle for Android because they couldn't afford iPhone. For many of us, our world doesn't revolve around an Apple.

Enjoy what you prefer. The answer is that simple. Don't be a lemming. Learn to make decisions from your OWN experiences. I don't always agree with my favorite tech reviewers and you will realize no answer is really right or wrong.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Be even more jealous: I still have a Note 8 as well that I keep telling myself I'm going to sell any day now. ;)

I had the same experience with the X. I wasn't expecting to love it like crazy, and yet here I am. What sold me is Face ID and the new gesture system. Face ID is so good it's ridiculous. The gestures make moving around a pretty fluid OS even faster. And...they're...fun? Like, I enjoy apps jumping back into their row when you dismiss them with a swipe up. I don't understand why tech bloggers kept saying the app switcher took some getting used to. It was pretty easy for me from day one and now I can't imagine having to click any button to get where I need to go.

Pixel XL 2 is Android heaven for me. Android that runs like old school iOS. It's fast, fluid, and "cute". And I'm someone that returned a device for burn in or ghosting or whatever that thing is. That's how much I love this phone, I wouldn't give up on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.