Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi

I'm a loyal iPhone user since long

I'm planning to move to an iPhone 7 (or 7 plus) in approx 3 months

Would love to know more about 7 plus before deciding on (7 vs 7 plus)

So, could I request those who *already have a 7 plus* to post *personal user experiences* of wow / great moments , features with 7 + !

*thanks in advance*
regards
subu

tjhassan

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I went from 6 to SE to 7 plus. First day, I was like "man, this thing is WAAYYY too big", but I fell in love with screen after day 2 and the display still wows me. I'm on day 5 now.

However, although I love the screen. I'm having a hard time using it comfortably without cramping, fatigue...etc. So I'm leaning towards returning it for the regular 7.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Move to a new 7, but what phone do you have now? A 6 as shown on your signature ? WOW moment was when I realized that my 6S was just about the same as the new 7. Sent it back and will wait for next year's model.

Reactions: lancastor

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Went from a 6+ to a 7+. Very big difference, and I actually like the new home button. The speed from 6+ to 7+ is very noticeable. I haven't played with it too long, but I'll update as soon as I find more WOW factors.

Reactions: Ronnoco and Subu

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Move to a new 7, but what phone do you have now? A 6 as shown on your signature ? WOW moment was when I realized that my 6S was just about the same as the new 7. Sent it back and will wait for next year's model.

yes I have a 6 now
I'll be moving to a 7 or 7+ from a six
[doublepost=1474458785][/doublepost]
Went from a 6+ to a 7+. Very big difference, and I actually like the new home button. The speed from 6+ to 7+ is very noticeable. I haven't played with it too long, but I'll update as soon as I find more WOW factors.

thanks !
Await your updates !

jimmyjoy

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
I've come from a 6 to a 7+.

Most noticeable differences are:

3D - actually a lot more useful than I though. Makes multitasking much more fluid.

Touch ID - I'm aware the speed of this was improved with the 6s but holy crap this things fast. It's almost impossible to not unlock your phone if you press home using any of your scanned fingers.

Screen - At first I thought it was too big. But now I appreciate the extra real estate. Typing in portrait mode is much easier with my clumsy fingers. The brightness and clarity is beautiful with higher dynamic range.

Live Photos - again this came with the 6s but I've not used it before. Having an 11 month old son that I take around 20 pictures of a day makes this a great feature. It's great to capture the extra facial expressions as you take a photo.

Camera - detail is much better than the 6. Low light performance is imprived although I'm slightly disappointed with the auto focus hunt in slightly low light . I am used to a Canon 5D MK3 thiugh so perhaps I expect too much I've shot some video in 4K and watched it on my 55" 4K and the clarity is stunning in good light I wish we could record 4K at 60fps though.

Speed - holy **** this things fast. Doing multiple things at once is far less painful than it used to be

Home button - really like the new haptic feedback home button. Heard reports off others who didn't like it but I see it as an improvement.

In summary I think it's a notable upgrade from an iPhone 6 but primarily due to getting all of the 6s upgrades along with the 7's. Had I owned a 6s I may have been disappointed.

Reactions: dhill7 and diggator

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
However, although I love the screen. I'm having a hard time using it comfortably without cramping, fatigue...etc. So I'm leaning towards returning it for the regular 7.

Having a Plus sized iPhone for 2 years now, I can confirm that the discomfort will eventually go away! It just takes some time getting use to after switching from a screen 1.5" smaller, but it's certainly well worth it and I wouldn't trade any smaller :p

And to think 2 years ago I never thought I'd own one of those "phablet" devices, but now they've basically become the norm.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I also ordered a 7+ for the first time. Felt the same, never gonna walk around with a big phablet - but since i've had the 6s, i guess i will get a bigger change with the +.. plus, im sooo tired of the battery life!

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
This is what I'm looking forward to. I'm currently on the 6+ (waiting for my 7+ to arrive). The speed of the TouchID is wildly slower on the 6+ and 1GB of RAM has really been irritating me lately. Seems like I can barely jump back and forth between two apps without having to reload one of them. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi

I'm a loyal iPhone user since long

I'm planning to move to an iPhone 7 (or 7 plus) in approx 3 months

Would love to know more about 7 plus before deciding on (7 vs 7 plus)

So, could I request those who *already have a 7 plus* to post *personal user experiences* of wow / great moments , features with 7 + !

*thanks in advance*
regards
subu
Walking into shower with phone still playing music. Sure I could have gotten an Active line phone from Samsung several years ago, but I love my Apple devices. The 10x digital zoom is pretty unnecessary, but kinda awesome. And along the same lines of the music, the stereo speakers are fantastic.

Reactions: diggator

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
yes I have a 6 now
I'll be moving to a 7 or 7+ from a six
[doublepost=1474458785][/doublepost]

thanks !
Await your updates !

Reporting back... so I really enjoy the 3D touch, especially coming from the 6+ which had none of that. Very convenient.

Touch ID - this is really fast. I played with my father's 6s and thought it was fast; however, the 7/7+ is a tad bit faster.

The screen is much brighter on the 7+ vs. 6+ and mine is not "yellow." I compared it to my 6+ and they both looked identical (color wise). I cranked up the brightness on both and could notice the 7+ was much brighter. Is it 25% brighter; don't know. But it is bright enough that I had to lower the brightness because it hurt my eyes (in the dark).

I really like the way the haptic feedback works with certain applications. Kind of giving you a "nudge."

I want to wait a bit to comment on battery life.

BTW, I'm on ios 10 not 10.0.1
[doublepost=1474463913][/doublepost]
This is what I'm looking forward to. I'm currently on the 6+ (waiting for my 7+ to arrive). The speed of the TouchID is wildly slower on the 6+ and 1GB of RAM has really been irritating me lately. Seems like I can barely jump back and forth between two apps without having to reload one of them. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.

Exactly. My 6+ works well, don't get me wrong, but compared to the 7+ it's a whole lot faster both in applications and touchID. I think the majority of the people coming from the 6/6+, 5/5s/5c, etc are going to be pleased with the 7/7+. Im not saying the 6s/6s+ owners will not be pleased, but the 'upgrade' will not be so significant to some.

Reactions: bsmith4832

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I went from 6 to SE to 7 plus. First day, I was like "man, this thing is WAAYYY too big", but I fell in love with screen after day 2 and the display still wows me. I'm on day 5 now.

Give it the full two weeks before you decide to return it. I had the same reaction as you when I got the plus last year, but after about a week and a half I was completely used to it.

Reactions: tjhassan

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

Someone says this every year......I don't see how people can see the difference when it's barely 2ms speed differences

Reactions: ABC5S

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
I also ordered a 7+ for the first time. Felt the same, never gonna walk around with a big phablet - but since i've had the 6s, i guess i will get a bigger change with the +.. plus, im sooo tired of the battery life!

Same reasoning here. I think I'll get used to it haha

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Picked up my phone today at a UPS hub at 10:40am. Unplugged my S7 edge @ 100% charge before leaving for the 20 minute drive to the hub. Right now the S7 is at 78% charge. Used it minimally since I got the iPhone now.

Opened the iPhone up at 11am and activated without an iCloud backup and set up as new. Started with a 75% charge. Since then to now have been on it constantly taking pictures and opening every app. Still at 69% charge.

I'm actually kind of stunned because I don't remember my 6sPlus being so great on battery.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I was thoroughly amazed by the external speakers, namely how much louder they are. So far everything else felt like more of the same.

Fair warning: wife is the one that upgraded but I felt I could chime in since I generally run the setup for the family (for no reason other then everyone else is too lazy lol).
[doublepost=1474484619][/doublepost]
Can you post evidence of the data you are claiming?
It's probably an estimate based on his own experience (and I dare say the value of 2 ms was just throwing out a really small nearly imperceptible number rather than actually tested data). I deliberately loaded a few things side by side and didn't really see a difference. In some cases a 6s plus beat the 7. In some cases the 7 beat the 6s plus. In most cases there was no descendants (to me) difference.

I think too many people demand tests in order to backup claims. Most claims are going to be personal experience claims. As mentioned I would be shocked if the person you quoted actually noted a 2ms speed difference. If you see a difference that's perfectly acceptable too :)

Fwiw I did a quick video search. I just scrubbed through it but this is basically on par with my findings. I'd say this particular video did a fairer comparison than I did since I compared a 6s plus to a 7 (since that is the hardware I personally had to compare), though I'm not claiming this to be the most scientifically based be all end all of tests.

Last edited:

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I was thoroughly amazed by the external speakers, namely how much louder they are. So far everything else felt like more of the same.

Fair warning: wife is the one that upgraded but I felt I could chime in since I generally run the setup for the family (for no reason other then everyone else is too lazy lol).
[doublepost=1474484619][/doublepost]
It's probably an estimate based on his own experience (and I dare say the value of 2 ms was just throwing out a really small nearly imperceptible number rather than actually tested data). I deliberately loaded a few things side by side and didn't really see a difference. In some cases a 6s plus beat the 7. In some cases the 7 beat the 6s plus. In most cases there was no descendants (to me) difference.

I think too many people demand tests in order to backup claims. Most claims are going to be personal experience claims. As mentioned I would be shocked if the person you quoted actually noted a 2ms speed difference. If you see a difference that's perfectly acceptable too :)

Fwiw I did a quick video search. I just scrubbed through it but this is basically on par with my findings. I'd say this particular video did a fairer comparison than I did since I compared a 6s plus to a 7 (since that is the hardware I personally had to compare).

I understand you conducted a test; however, I was comparing my old 6+ not a 6s. The jump from a 6+ to a 7+ is very noticeable, speed-wise, etc.

Hey if people are going to start throwing numbers around, they better have some evidence or the numbers mean squat and hold no value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.