Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I understand you conducted a test; however, I was comparing my old 6+ not a 6s. The jump from a 6+ to a 7+ is very noticeable, speed-wise, etc.

Hey if people are going to start throwing numbers around, they better have some evidence or the numbers mean squat and hold no value.
The difference between the iPhone 6 A8 and the new A10 Fusion in the iPhone 7 is night and day.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
I've come from a 6 to a 7+.

Most noticeable differences are:

3D - actually a lot more useful than I though. Makes multitasking much more fluid.

Touch ID - I'm aware the speed of this was improved with the 6s but holy crap this things fast. It's almost impossible to not unlock your phone if you press home using any of your scanned fingers.

Screen - At first I thought it was too big. But now I appreciate the extra real estate. Typing in portrait mode is much easier with my clumsy fingers. The brightness and clarity is beautiful with higher dynamic range.

Live Photos - again this came with the 6s but I've not used it before. Having an 11 month old son that I take around 20 pictures of a day makes this a great feature. It's great to capture the extra facial expressions as you take a photo.

Camera - detail is much better than the 6. Low light performance is imprived although I'm slightly disappointed with the auto focus hunt in slightly low light . I am used to a Canon 5D MK3 thiugh so perhaps I expect too much I've shot some video in 4K and watched it on my 55" 4K and the clarity is stunning in good light I wish we could record 4K at 60fps though.

Speed - holy **** this things fast. Doing multiple things at once is far less painful than it used to be

Home button - really like the new haptic feedback home button. Heard reports off others who didn't like it but I see it as an improvement.

In summary I think it's a notable upgrade from an iPhone 6 but primarily due to getting all of the 6s upgrades along with the 7's. Had I owned a 6s I may have been disappointed.
I echo these sentiments although I'm coming from a 6+, this feels like a huge upgrade having skipped on the 6s. Love the new home "button", I was concerned after reading people thinking it was weird but it felt naturally to me right away.

The screen is a bit warmer but it seems to be sharper than before. Might be a placebo effect of it being new, but I'm happy so I guess that's all that matters.

Haven't used the camera yet, saving it for the MSU game this weekend to get some good pics there and pop its cherry.

Loved running in the rain today and not being paranoid about taking my phone out to look at it/change tracks.

I opted for the jet black and while yes, it is a fingerprint magnet, it is WAY grippier than the 6+. Good trade off IMO.

As others have said, the 3D Touch is pretty great for multitasking, jumping to things quicker and previewing pics, emails, links and all of that.

Last thing that comes to mind is the stereo speakers that really sound great. Everyone I demonit too is shocked how loud it is.

Setarip

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Coming from an iPhone 6, the extra screen real estate, the speed (yes it is noticeable), and even though it's not a needed feature, I really love the new home button. It really does feel like a button click. I guess I'm easily amused :p

Reactions: Ntombi

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I understand you conducted a test; however, I was comparing my old 6+ not a 6s. The jump from a 6+ to a 7+ is very noticeable, speed-wise, etc.

Hey if people are going to start throwing numbers around, they better have some evidence or the numbers mean squat and hold no value.
I often throw a percentage out based on an estimate of things in my head. Perhaps that's not the best way to describe something like this. But this is a public discussion forum not a scientific journal. I don't mean that to sound rude. I was just offering a potential reason to the number someone else threw out. It's just a really small number that is meant to imply "no perceptible difference". I don't the number was meant to home a tangible measurable value. That's how I chose to read it anyway.

The reason I decided to post s video was not to be argumentative but to offer an actual visual answer to those asking for proof. I didn't go scouring. It was literally the first one I found.

Again, if you see a difference that's all that matters to make your money well spent. And for what it's worth I don't doubt you see real world improvements. I saw real world improvements going from a 6 plus to a 6s plus. The former was just underpowered for what it was. Worst iPhone I ever owned.

Anyway. Enjoy your phone.

Last edited:

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I often throw a percentage out based on an estimate of things in my head. Perhaps that's not the best way to describe something like this. But this is a public discussion forum not a scientific journal. I don't mean that to sound rude. I was just offering a potential reason to the number someone else threw out. It's just a really small number that is meant to imply "no perceptible difference". I don't the number was meant to home a tangible measurable value. That's how I chose to read it anyway.

The reason I decided to post s video was not to be argumentative but to offer an actual visual answer to those asking for proof. I didn't go scouring. It was literally the first one I found.

Again, if you see a difference that's all that matters to make your money well spent. And for what it's worth I don't doubt you see real world improvements. I saw real world improvements going from a 6 plus to a 6s plus. The former was just underpowered for what it was. Worst iPhone I ever owned.

Anyway. Enjoy your phone.
I understand you didn't mean to be rude and I never took it as such. True, this is not a scientific journal but if anyone is going to start citing numbers or percentages and not properly indicating it's their "estimate" one can take that as face value. Which would be untrue. Sorry, but in my line of work you quote numbers, you better back it up. That's all I'm saying.

At the end of the day, I do see a difference and I agree with you, that's what matters.

Thank your for the information.

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
It's not specific to the Plus, but I just noticed a few subtle things like the feel of the notification shade landing at the bottom, and the time/date picker wheel clicks.

Calls of course use both speakers too, obviously that makes sense, but it's so much better as a speakerphone.

Optical zoom is amazing and I'm already excited to see where they're going with it and photos in general since testing the Portrait mode in the beta.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Wow my brand new iPhone 7+ makes extremely loud hissing noises when taking videos. Wow my brand new iPhone 7+ takes yellow videos. Wow!

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Can these be bad "wow"s as well? If so, I've got one--the battery life on my 7+ SUCKS. And it takes forever to recharge, complicating the issue (I've had it on a charger now for the last hour and a half, not using it, and it's gone from 44% to 53%. I'm going to try calibrating it tomorrow, but DAMN.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Can these be bad "wow"s as well? If so, I've got one--the battery life on my 7+ SUCKS. And it takes forever to recharge, complicating the issue (I've had it on a charger now for the last hour and a half, not using it, and it's gone from 44% to 53%. I'm going to try calibrating it tomorrow, but DAMN.

Mine goes from almost empty to full in 3 hours. So there's something wrong with your phone or your charging equipment for sure.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Mine goes from almost empty to full in 3 hours. So there's something wrong with your phone or your charging equipment for sure.
Mine takes this long from the work PC's as they don't seem to like charging the iPhones quick, needing at least 5 hours for my old 6, and 8+ hours for the 7 Plus. Add some use and sometimes I simply cant get the phone charged before I leave work. Throw it on my 2.1A outlet USB charger and the thing is charged in an hour or two max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.