Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
people are complaining about noise, which isn't really an issue unless they use what is equivalent to a magnifying glass and looking at the image on a per pixel basis.
Or they shoot regularly at 800-1600 ISO and output at 8x10 or larger. At 800 my D70 is pretty noisy, and unlike film grain it's not a pleasing random look - but it really isn't that bad once converted to monochrome.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So ISO 800 and 1600 is noisy? Noisy compared to what, specifically? My Nikon D50 produces lots of noise at ISO 800 and 1600 as well, but it's not a lot of noise if compared to film, and not compared to other DSLRs on the market.

My D50 is just as good as the Canon 350D at ISO 1600. I realize that this is the rare occasion where a Nikon matches up to a Canon in terms of (low) noise, but my point is that noise at ISO 800 and 1600 will always be present.

If you regularly print at 8x10" or larger, surely you're doing at least some post processing with your photos and using noise reduction software before printing them, right? Lets use software like Noise Ninja, for example. If you use Noise Ninja, you'll see that the noise levels of photos from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax will all be comparable (if they aren't already similar anyway), because there is software on the market that is just that good.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
So ISO 800 and 1600 is noisy? Noisy compared to what, specifically? My Nikon D50 produces lots of noise at ISO 800 and 1600 as well, but it's not a lot of noise if compared to film, and not compared to other DSLRs on the market.

My D50 is just as good as the Canon 350D at ISO 1600. I realize that this is the rare occasion where a Nikon matches up to a Canon in terms of (low) noise, but my point is that noise at ISO 800 and 1600 will always be present.

If you regularly print at 8x10" or larger, surely you're doing at least some post processing with your photos and using noise reduction software before printing them, right? Lets use software like Noise Ninja, for example. If you use Noise Ninja, you'll see that the noise levels of photos from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax will all be comparable (if they aren't already similar anyway), because there is software on the market that is just that good.

You raise a point that I questioned. It seems that in the digital age that many are looking for ISO 100 "noise"/grain in in ISO 800+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.