Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bashes.day

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
I'm a 36 year old, and have seen my fair share of phones both on Android and iOS. I keep switching between the two ecosystems when I get bored with a particular OS. In the recent past I've owned the Samsung Note 9, the Samsung Galaxy S20 and S21, and have looked at the Pixels this year. On the iOS side, I've owned the XS most recently. In the past I've owned many Sony Ericsson devices because they were well built. I owned the OG Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (with the slide out keyboard). That was a day one purchase for me, and I loved it until I cracked its screen playing air hockey, and it cost almost the price of the phone to replace it. I've also own multiple Samsung devices like the S3, the Notes, Xperias, LG G3 and many others. On the iOS side, I've owned the 3G, the 6 Plus, the 8, and always had an iPad. I have a 11 Pro now, and proclaim myself neither an Apple or an android fanboy. If anything, I was a Sony Ericsson fanboy back in the day.

I've always found the Android devices I owned good value for money until recently, but they never had the best of materials. Even if they were glass, they still had a kind of a plastic feel to them. They always were pushing the edge of innovation, but never following up on the features in terms of software updates, or sticking to them in the next generation of devices. But I believe that they pushed the envelope far enough for Apple to follow suit, and perfect each feature they decided to adopt. I'm not a electronics engineer and cannot make an informed decision, but I always felt that the hardware under the hood was also not functioning to its rated potential. The Android devices were worse at holding cell tower signal compared to an iPhone at the same location. I am a heavy bluetooth use in the car, and I always felt the sound quality and call quality over bluetooth was better on the iPhone compared to even a next generation Android device.

But I've always loved the perfection of the materials of the iPhone. Even if I didn't like the design, the materials used were always top notch.

I didn't like the XS because of the rounded corners. Always used to slip out of the hand, and this was something I always hated about the iPhones I owned. (I didn't own the 4, but I loved the design). I wanted to try the 12 since the brought back the squared off design, but couldn't.

Eventually, here I am, with the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Since my first impression, I have this thought always in my mind about how perfect everything seems to be put together. There's no flex, no bend gate, and the stainless steel edges though shiny, add to a premium feel. It fits perfectly in my hands' contours with no risk of falling down. The size is not that huge to me compared to a few other Note devices I've held in the past. The weight is heft enough to be considered "premium", and I love how the weight is evenly balanced.

The cameras at the back are humungous, but there doesn't seem to be any rocking with light touches when it's face up. The screen is gorgeous, and the OLED blacks stand out. I've seen Samsung OLEDs in the past, and this one is on par if not better. The fonts somehow seem crisper (maybe it's the font used?). Yes the colours on camera photos are not out of the world like a Samsung's, but they they sure are consistent, and vibrance can be added post. And the bluetooth sound quality and music quality over CarPlay are excellent. The haptic feedback motor and its implementation is so new to me, and I love the feel of some one tapping you rather than an electric razor going off in your pockets.

And on the software side, they've added a lot of nifty tweaks and ease of use intuitive things that I've not seen since my 3 year hiatus to the Android side. Things like grouping of notifications, the widgets, clearing up the home screen if you don't want any icons etc. are a step in the right direction, and makes the use of the device less of a chore.

TLDR: Seen a lot of phones in the past, but the 13 Pro Max seems like a lot of good things have come together to create the best device I've ever had the privilege of holding.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I'm a 36 year old, and have seen my fair share of phones both on Android and iOS. I keep switching between the two ecosystems when I get bored with a particular OS. In the recent past I've owned the Samsung Note 9, the Samsung Galaxy S20 and S21, and have looked at the Pixels this year. On the iOS side, I've owned the XS most recently. In the past I've owned many Sony Ericsson devices because they were well built. I owned the OG Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (with the slide out keyboard). That was a day one purchase for me, and I loved it until I cracked its screen playing air hockey, and it cost almost the price of the phone to replace it. I've also own multiple Samsung devices like the S3, the Notes, Xperias, LG G3 and many others. On the iOS side, I've owned the 3G, the 6 Plus, the 8, and always had an iPad. I have a 11 Pro now, and proclaim myself neither an Apple or an android fanboy. If anything, I was a Sony Ericsson fanboy back in the day.

I've always found the Android devices I owned good value for money until recently, but they never had the best of materials. Even if they were glass, they still had a kind of a plastic feel to them. They always were pushing the edge of innovation, but never following up on the features in terms of software updates, or sticking to them in the next generation of devices. But I believe that they pushed the envelope far enough for Apple to follow suit, and perfect each feature they decided to adopt. I'm not a electronics engineer and cannot make an informed decision, but I always felt that the hardware under the hood was also not functioning to its rated potential. The Android devices were worse at holding cell tower signal compared to an iPhone at the same location. I am a heavy bluetooth use in the car, and I always felt the sound quality and call quality over bluetooth was better on the iPhone compared to even a next generation Android device.

But I've always loved the perfection of the materials of the iPhone. Even if I didn't like the design, the materials used were always top notch.

I didn't like the XS because of the rounded corners. Always used to slip out of the hand, and this was something I always hated about the iPhones I owned. (I didn't own the 4, but I loved the design). I wanted to try the 12 since the brought back the squared off design, but couldn't.

Eventually, here I am, with the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Since my first impression, I have this thought always in my mind about how perfect everything seems to be put together. There's no flex, no bend gate, and the stainless steel edges though shiny, add to a premium feel. It fits perfectly in my hands' contours with no risk of falling down. The size is not that huge to me compared to a few other Note devices I've held in the past. The weight is heft enough to be considered "premium", and I love how the weight is evenly balanced.

The cameras at the back are humungous, but there doesn't seem to be any rocking with light touches when it's face up. The screen is gorgeous, and the OLED blacks stand out. I've seen Samsung OLEDs in the past, and this one is on par if not better. The fonts somehow seem crisper (maybe it's the font used?). Yes the colours on camera photos are not out of the world like a Samsung's, but they they sure are consistent, and vibrance can be added post. And the bluetooth sound quality and music quality over CarPlay are excellent. The haptic feedback motor and its implementation is so new to me, and I love the feel of some one tapping you rather than an electric razor going off in your pockets.

And on the software side, they've added a lot of nifty tweaks and ease of use intuitive things that I've not seen since my 3 year hiatus to the Android side. Things like grouping of notifications, the widgets, clearing up the home screen if you don't want any icons etc. are a step in the right direction, and makes the use of the device less of a chore.

TLDR: Seen a lot of phones in the past, but the 13 Pro Max seems like a lot of good things have come together to create the best device I've ever had the privilege of holding.

The worst part of Android phones is they don’t really update the OS after their next major phone comes out. They would make a crappy next Android version to sell more, but never fix any bugs or care anything. So basically an Android phone is half rubbish after around one year.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
The worst part of Android phones is they don’t really update the OS after their next major phone comes out. They would make a crappy next Android version to sell more, but never fix any bugs or care anything. So basically an Android phone is half rubbish after around one year.

The worst one is Samsung, they are good at marketing but suck at build quality and design. They never design or use material for long term use. I have all kinds of Samsung products before and all serious broken after one or two years, including door lock and computer monitor.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When I tried Android for a little over a year I got a Google Pixel 3a XL. Right now, it's on Android 12 (the beta) and still getting updates. I'd generally agree with you - which is why I went with a Pixel.

In other words, my Android doesn't have this problem.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
When I tried Android for a little over a year I got a Google Pixel 3a XL. Right now, it's on Android 12 (the beta) and still getting updates. I'd generally agree with you - which is why I went with a Pixel.

In other words, my Android doesn't have this problem.

Pixel has a lot of bugs and having hardware problem is common, pixel 6 pro screen has crack corner issue and tones of bugs. Even Pixel lover says don’t even try.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pixel has a lot of bugs and having hardware problem is common, pixel 6 pro screen has crack corner issue and tones of bugs. Even Pixel lover says don’t even try.
I have a Pixel 3a XL, not a Pixel 6 Pro.

Maybe mine does have bugs, but I haven't run across any yet.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your 3a xl will not have any update after May 2022
It isn't my primary phone and it's used only on WiFi, if I use it at all.

Lack of updates doesn't bother me, no matter what phone I use. I did five years on iOS 9.0.2 because I didn't want to lose my jailbreak on that phone. I've got multiple older iPhones that don't receive iOS updates either.

It really doesn't matter.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
It isn't my primary phone and it's used only on WiFi, if I use it at all.

Lack of updates doesn't bother me, no matter what phone I use. I did five years on iOS 9.0.2 because I didn't want to lose my jailbreak on that phone. I've got multiple older iPhones that don't receive iOS updates either.

It really doesn't matter.

If you don't use bank app, credit card or any personal stuff then Ok. I still use my old Sony android phone to watch YouTube, the 16:9 5.5" screen is bigger than iPhone 11 6.1" screen for YouTube content and the 4k screen is really good, just OS is buggy and very bulky.

webkit

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2021
United States

I think most Android phone OEMs provide OS and sercurity updates for at least two or three years after the phone launches. Google Pixel is probably the best. However, NONE are as good as the iPhone which is a reason why iPhones tend to have better resales.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you don't use bank app, credit card or any personal stuff then Ok. I still use my old Sony android phone to watch YouTube, the 16:9 5.5" screen is bigger than iPhone 11 6.1" screen for YouTube content and the 4k screen is really good, just OS is buggy and very bulky.
I do, but it's on my primary phone, which is the 11 Pro Max. Currently my 11PM is running iOS 15.2.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think most Android phone OEMs provide OS and sercurity updates for at least two or three years after the phone launches. Google Pixel is probably the best. However, NONE are as good as the iPhone which is a reason why iPhones tend to have better resales.
Most Android OEMs, at best, only offer quarterly security patches for 2 years. Why? Because that’s the minimum requirement for Android certification from Google. Google themselves set the bar so low, obviously most OEMs would do the bare minimum.

Samsung is the first OEM that realized updates are probably important (to attract enterprise users), so their new policy for their flagships are monthly patches and Android OS upgrades for 3 years. That’s the best outside Pixel 6’s 5 years. The next one is Xiaomi, matching Samsung in terms of 3 years of software support, but only on their latest Xiaomi 11T models. The rest of the Android world are still on the old 2 years of quarterly security patches only (OS upgrade being optional).

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I do, but it's on my primary phone, which is the 11 Pro Max. Currently my 11PM is running iOS 15.2.

I used to like Android when iPhone camera sensor hardware was far behind. The top phone camera sensors are all same levels now then I choose IOS for sure.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
It seems Samsung has changed their policy in early 2021. Three years of android OS upgrades for their flagship models and at least four years of security updates:

They may have some crappy updates but not like Apple which gives you real update and almost no bug IOS for a 7 years old iphone.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Most Android OEMs, at best, only offer quarterly security patches for 2 years. Why? Because that’s the minimum requirement for Android certification from Google. Google themselves set the bar so low, obviously most OEMs would do the bare minimum.

Samsung is the first OEM that realized updates are probably important (to attract enterprise users), so their new policy for their flagships are monthly patches and Android OS upgrades for 3 years. That’s the best outside Pixel 6’s 5 years. The next one is Xiaomi, matching Samsung in terms of 3 years of software support, but only on their latest Xiaomi 11T models. The rest of the Android world are still on the old 2 years of quarterly security patches only (OS upgrade being optional).

Pixel is the only android brand has real longer term update but still not that long. Other android brands just focus on selling the phone then forget about it so they can sell the next model.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
You really despise Samsung, don't you? ?
I just had Samsung products and all just broken after 1 to 2 years, just like the monitor stand would just break and whole monitor fall down on the keyboard, or the internal part of the electronic door lock just crack and whole lock becomes trash. I google and all are common problems of that model. The Samsung phone was trash too.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Industrial design wise, Apple is at the top tier. This all started with the iPhone 4. Apple is already switching to premium materials, metal and glass, in the days where most consumer electronics were still using cheap plastics. As I hold my iPhone 7+ naked, I can feel the solid design in feel and weight.

Fast forward today, the manufacturing techniques have been commoditized. Almost everyone can make unibody structures nowadays. Apple still holds the bar high with their stainless steel material, but the competitors don't have as wide gap as before. Premium Androids have all adopted the same materials, aluminum and glass. Huawei was one primary example. If you look at the build quality and hardware design, Huawei flagships feel as premium as iPhones.

But these materials are not cheap, which is why we only see metal and glass on premium Android phones. Once you drop even to the premium mid-range, plastic is back, but we are no longer have those cheap plastics of the 90s. Manufacturing have improved, and we can have textured and polished plastic with premium feel. Take the S21's plastic back. At first glance, you probably couldn't tell the difference between it and the matte glass on the S21+. It's that good.

Going lower into the mid-range, obviously the build quality and industrial design have to accomodate the cost restrictions. Most mid-range Android phones and lower are using plastic frame and back. But then again, manufacturing have improved since the early 2000s. Rigidity is better, and feel can be premium. Many $200-$400 Android phones look and feel quite good. Overall weight distribution can still be a challenge though, as many Chinese OEMs are simply dumping big batteries inside these phones without thinking the heft of the phone when being hold.

In manufacturing, things will be commodotized sooner or later, simply for economic of scale. Let's just hope Apple is maintaining its strict design quality. There are plenty of questionable decisions of Apple lately (eg. using cable that's too short). Hopefully that was just a blip on the radar. With Ive gone, there's a seemingly positive trend towards better functions in overall design.

So I definitely get the enjoyment of having an iPhone and the appreciation of Apple's industrial design. The price shows it. :D

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Here
Industrial design wise, Apple is at the top tier. This all started with the iPhone 4. Apple is already switching to premium materials, metal and glass, in the days where most consumer electronics were still using cheap plastics. As I hold my iPhone 7+ naked, I can feel the solid design in feel and weight.

Fast forward today, the manufacturing techniques have been commoditized. Almost everyone can make unibody structures nowadays. Apple still holds the bar high with their stainless steel material, but the competitors don't have as wide gap as before. Premium Androids have all adopted the same materials, aluminum and glass. Huawei was one primary example. If you look at the build quality and hardware design, Huawei flagships feel as premium as iPhones.

But these materials are not cheap, which is why we only see metal and glass on premium Android phones. Once you drop even to the premium mid-range, plastic is back, but we are no longer have those cheap plastics of the 90s. Manufacturing have improved, and we can have textured and polished plastic with premium feel. Take the S21's plastic back. At first glance, you probably couldn't tell the difference between it and the matte glass on the S21+. It's that good.

Going lower into the mid-range, obviously the build quality and industrial design have to accomodate the cost restrictions. Most mid-range Android phones and lower are using plastic frame and back. But then again, manufacturing have improved since the early 2000s. Rigidity is better, and feel can be premium. Many $200-$400 Android phones look and feel quite good. Overall weight distribution can still be a challenge though, as many Chinese OEMs are simply dumping big batteries inside these phones without thinking the heft of the phone when being hold.

In manufacturing, things will be commodotized sooner or later, simply for economic of scale. Let's just hope Apple is maintaining its strict design quality. There are plenty of questionable decisions of Apple lately (eg. using cable that's too short). Hopefully that was just a blip on the radar. With Ive gone, there's a seemingly positive trend towards better functions in overall design.

So I definitely get the enjoyment of having an iPhone and the appreciation of Apple's industrial design. The price shows it. :D
Nothing wrong with using plastic if you are going to be using a phone case anyway. Glass back is for the phone to be scratch resistant, just like glass front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.