Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Steer away from reseller made "kits." At least the Nikon kits have halfway decent glass- Quantaray doesn't make any lenses that are desirable. If you're on a budget, check KEH for used Nikon glass.

Or go used for the whole kit. Not really understanding why earlier Nikon (and for me Canon) bodies aren't being discussed. For a very reasonable price you can find many lightly used dslr bodies on craigslist / ebay / etc.

I picked up my 10D from a user going to 20D. He only used the camera for snapshots... and I know this since he put the wrong CF card in the camera when he sold it to me.

Hawaii with GF... and lots of shots of younger girls asses.... :eek: Yes he got it back from me. :)

Dont' get caught up in the hype, find the setup that works for you. L really is Luxury not Nessisity.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hey-
I was at Ritz today and decided I'll definitely be getting the K100D with the 18-55mm kit lense, mostly because the interface is so much like that of my Nikon N8008. My dad just said he wants me to think about it for a week, even though I'm spending my own $$$. Well, he's probably right anyway. BTW, one of the 1GB SD cards we looked at came with Paint Shop Pro 9. Does that work for mac? Thanks

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Hey-
I was at Ritz today and decided I'll definitely be getting the K100D with the 18-55mm kit lense, mostly because the interface is so much like that of my Nikon N8008. My dad just said he wants me to think about it for a week, even though I'm spending my own $$$. Well, he's probably right anyway. BTW, one of the 1GB SD cards we looked at came with Paint Shop Pro 9. Does that work for mac? Thanks

? How is the "interface [of the Pentax K100D] so much like that of [the] Nikon 8008?" I would think that one of the Nikon digital models would be more similar to the Nikon film cameras than a Pentax, an entirely different brand, would be.... What am I missing here? Several years ago when I walked into my local camera shop and handled the D70 for the first time, it immediately brought back wonderful memories of my old N90. I somehow don't think that handlng a Pentax or a Canon or any brand other than Nikon would have quite the same feeling.....

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'd only count one of those as a good reason to go Canon over Nikon. Canon's IS is equivalent to Nikon's VR (Image Stabilisation / Vibration Reduction); I don't know what sort of comparison can be drawn in terms of quality of the tech, or the range of lenses that have it available. (I can find info about Canon's lens lineup very easily, but I have no idea where to look to find out about Nikon's current lineup.) [Edit: just saw the earlier post in more depth. Don't worry about the extent of how many lenses the two companies have in IS or VR - worry about whether the lenses you want have it.]

DO is overrated. There are only two diffractive optics lenses available from Canon at this time: the 400mm f/4L, and the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM. Of those, the only one I'd seriously consider owning is the 400mm, and at over ten grand Australian, I can't justify the cost. If DO is as good as some people claim it is, why hasn't Canon brought out more lenses that use it?

That leaves full frame. Very nice to have, but by no means essential - right now, I'm saving up for lenses so I can switch over to a full frame (the 24-105mm f/4L IS will do the job nicely, unless they bring out a 24-70mm f/2.8L IS before I've finished saving), but to be completely honest, I can live without it. It's a long term goal, rather than a short term need. And given that full frame bodies start at $AU3000 (or more), well ...

Yes, I shoot Canon, but I dislike seeing differences overhyped as advantages, no matter which system those differences might promote.

Yes, Canon has more IS lenses which I would like, except for the important 18-200

DO is not as sharp, but for a tele, I would prefer something handholdable. I cannot justify it right now, but if I am going to invest in a system, I'd like to know that it's there for the future. I don't want to carry two bodies.

I am a wide angle freak, so for me FF is essential, unless this capability is once matched by DX lenses. But I'm not convinced about carrying lenses which are able to cover FF just to crop them with the sensor.

Nikon has an advantage with DC and old lenses. I don't care much about the old lenses for digital, as I would prefer to stick to D lenses which might eventually be well supported by DxO. DC are not D, but they are so special, although the effect is so subtle I should force myself to forget about it.

I have one shift, but Canon also has tilt in the wides. But they should make new versions that could still be manual, but send not only the distance, but also the tilt/shift parameters to the camera, so that they can be written with the image.

I think if FF is ever cheap I will just get one of each. For now, I just stick to the F100.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I am a wide angle freak, so for me FF is essential, unless this capability is once matched by DX lenses. But I'm not convinced about carrying lenses which are able to cover FF just to crop them with the sensor.

Medium Format. ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I was looking at a Mamiya 6 + 50mm for travel, but it's not really wide and for $2000 used,
I could get the D80 + 18-200 VR new. (Plus I am not so sure about the whole Mamiya 6 calibration issue).

I also saw a comparison between 1Ds (11.4mp) and Velvia 6x7 drum scan, and the result was about the same.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

It's digital, a good panorama head and some stitching software and you're all set for as wide as you want.

Hey-

I'd think twice before buying anything that isn't Nikon or Canon- they're the top two players in the DSLR market and if you want to be able to get great glass, they've got the advantage. I'm pretty sure PSP is Windows only. Any of the Nikon DSLRs will have the same basic controls as the 8008 did, Nikon's UI is only outlasted by the F-mount.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well, I always liked Pentax, so it would be good if they gained some market share with their new cameras. More choices for the future.

A very large stockholder of Pentax has been suggesting management to abandon digital cameras.

But it seems that initial demand for their new cameras is very high.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Well, I always liked Pentax, so it would be good if they gained some market share with their new cameras. More choices for the future.

A very large stockholder of Pentax has been suggesting management to abandon digital cameras.

But it seems that initial demand for their new cameras is very high.

The stockholder is likely right-- Nikon's gaining a lot of share, and Sony seems poised to solidify itself as 3rd place. Canon seems to be increasing its share and is the dominant player. Everyone else is an "also ran." I think Sony might be out of luck too-- we'll have to wait and see (their video cameras give them an interesting longer-term angle, but I'm not sure it translates well to still cameras.) I'd hate to see someone stuck with a camera where there aren't any lenses being made for it, which is why I always recommend Nikon or Canon. The P&S market is bigger than the DSLR market and there's arguably room for more players, but with Canon and Nikon driving down their prices in newer models, there's not a lot of room for profit after third place.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I'd hate to see someone stuck with a camera where there aren't any lenses being made for it, which is why I always recommend Nikon or Canon..

This is a bit miss leading. For many users the lenses offered by the camera makers (and the third-party makers) will meet the needs of 80% of the users IMO.

There are lenses like the 10.5 Nikkor, the 18-200VR Nikkor, and the 105VR Nikkor that are exceptions to the rule. But offerings of the 11-18 and 18-200 Tamron, along with offerings from Sigma and Tokina - should meet the needs of most photographers.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The main problem with Pentax is that none of their cameras is supported by DxO!

Nowadays, ANY camera I consider must be on their list. The D80 for example is there, but none of the lenses that interest me are, but seeing the level of support for not so recent Nikon cameras, I'm quite confident they will be there relatively soon.

The D50 has a relatively good level of support, which means not great compared to all the lenses that exist, but several popular lenses are there. Canon is much better here, at least with the 300D or 350D. I imagine all that stuff will now move to the 400D. [Makes me think twice about 5D or D80]

Who knows, if the new Pentax cameras really prove so popular, maybe we'll see them there. Just ask for it.

But here is a vote for the 350D. Or even a used 300D ($400 with kit lens).

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
DO is not as sharp, but for a tele, I would prefer something handholdable. I cannot justify it right now, but if I am going to invest in a system, I'd like to know that it's there for the future. I don't want to carry two bodies.

The 400mm f/4 DO is nearly two kilograms in weight. In comparison, the f/2.8 is around five and a half kilograms, and the f/5.6 is around 1.25 kg.

I don't think that 2 kg counts as "handholdable"; I have enough trouble holding the 100-400mm stable, at 1.4kg (or so).

You'll only get lenses designed for the crop sensor at the wide end (below around 60mm or so). There's no real advantage in designing EF-S (or equivalent) lenses at longer focal lengths - it's just as easy to design telephotos that cover the full sensor, and accept that some cameras won't use the entire circle of light.

The other point: if you design a lens to cover a certain area, and you only end up using the centre portion of that area, you're using the sweet spot of the lens. It's at the edges where you'll see the most distortion and optical aberrations ...

On wide angle in particular: the EF-S 10-22mm covers the same field of view as the 16-35mm does on a full frame body. Sure, it's not as fast (f/3.5, I think, at the wide angle cf f/2.8), but is that a major concern? You also can't make full use of the EF 14mm, but do you really need to go that wide?

The only drawbacks to the 1.6 crop bodies in the Canon lineup, IMO, are the lack of fast wide angle glass (which is not a concern for most people), and the lack of a fisheye designed to cover the frame (Canon's fisheye is designed for full frame).

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
? How is the "interface [of the Pentax K100D] so much like that of [the] Nikon 8008?" I would think that one of the Nikon digital models would be more similar to the Nikon film cameras than a Pentax, an entirely different brand, would be.... What am I missing here?
Well, the Pentax just felt normal in the hands of a 35mm photographer. Call me crazy, but the D50 was too big of a leap from analogue. It put too much stress on auto modes, and just because I don't have endlessly deep pockets doesn't mean I'm not a good enough photographer to shoot manual. The K100D is an affordable camera that gives the user (well, at least) more of a 'pro' experience than the D50 or Rebel XT. Again, this is all just my opinion.

I'd think twice before buying anything that isn't Nikon or Canon- they're the top two players in the DSLR market and if you want to be able to get great glass, they've got the advantage.
To be honest, the difference in results between Nikon or Canon and Pentax or Sigma lenses is so minute that I don't really care.

compuwar said:
I'm pretty sure PSP is Windows only.
Thanks. I'll just buy a cheaper SD card then.

I'd hate to see someone stuck with a camera where there aren't any lenses being made for it, which is why I always recommend Nikon or Canon.
True, but I'll only be needing a 18-55mm, maybe 55-200 or 300mm or something of that sort, and macro at this stage of my photo career, which will all be purchased in the next 2 or 3 years. By the time I need a real plethora of lenses, I'll have a new body with a 10+ MP sensor.

The main problem with Pentax is that none of their cameras is supported by DxO!
I have never used that, but bibble and PSE should do all I need now.

But here is a vote for the 350D. Or even a used 300D ($400 with kit lens).
Sounds great, except for the fact that the things feel like a toy in my hane compared to the N8008.

Also, does anyone know of physical retailers with places in Illinois that sell the K100D for less than $699? If so, Ritz will match that price. Thanks a BILLION!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It says on the leaflet that you have to submit the UPC in the body package if you buy a kit. But it mentions the flash code, so I'm not sure if it applies without the flash.
Willoughbys shows the rebate for the kit.
B&H lists the rebates on the body only, but not on the kit.
I guess you'll have to ask.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Without considering rebate:
- Beach Camera and Abe's of Maine have the kit for $578.
- Adorama has it for $580 via amazon.com

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
To be honest, the difference in results between Nikon or Canon and Pentax or Sigma lenses is so minute that I don't really care.

While Sigma makes a handful of great lenses, if you're as happy with them overall as with Nikkors or Canons then I envy you- you'll end up spending a heck of a lot less on glass than I have. The only thing I'd trade my 400/2.8 Nikkor for though is the Canon equivalent. I can certainly see the difference between Nikon's good glass and their consumer lenses, much to the detriment of my bank account.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Without considering rebate:
- Beach Camera and Abe's of Maine have the kit for $578.
- Adorama has it for $580 via amazon.com

cool. as a matter of fact, I just bought it at Ritz for $699, because I like actually trying stuff I buy and talking to knowledgeable salespeople and I'd feel bad taking an hour of some nice sales guy's time then going home and buying the camera on some online bargain giant. then again, $120 extra to use towards the Pentax 50-200mm would have been nice:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.