Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I may have an unpopular point of view, but I don’t think there’s a single thing wrong with it from a design point. People are acting like they plopped it there to cut out the screen. When in all actuality they added screen. If we got the bezel all the way across like some vehemently argued for (I wanted it too initially), there would be less screen real estate. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized it’s simply extra space albeit tiny “ears” space. I care more about the narrow aspect ratio than the notch. Now that I have owned my phone for 2 days, I can genuinely say the “notch” isn’t even as much as an inconvenience during full screen immersion. That aspect ratio though...

Anyone else feel the notch hate was overblown? Conversely have you now experienced the phone and feel that the notch is completely unacceptable?

So overblown. I never even think about it unless I see a post like this. The overwhelming majority of the time I simply don't see it.

Reactions: MisterMillz

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Your right. Actually I did the math with 16.9 in mind. So thanks for correcting me!

For most purposes the screen will be 5.1 because aspect ratio, but can be used for wider applications. Whats the screen size without the Notch?
without the notch and without the margin created by the rounded corners on the other side (ie- the largest true rectangle you can get on the X ) :

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 5.45.12 PM.png

----
but notice how misleading the use of a diagonal measurement is.. many will think this area outlined in red should be the same size as Plus since they're the same measurement of 5.5"..
but this area is smaller on the X than Plus..

it's a different shaped rectangle / different aspect ratio..
so using a diagonal measurement for comparison between the two is meaningless.

Reactions: MisterMillz

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
So overblown. I never even think about it unless I see a post like this. The overwhelming majority of the time I simply don't see it.
You honestly don't notice it watching a video in landscape?

I know me. I like symmetry. It would bug me a lot.

It's great for you if you don't notice it.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Something that I noticed when it came to watching landscape content is I tend to have the earpiece on the left side. When watching content in full screen it makes the notch seem to disappear for me for the most part as opposed to when I view something with the notch on the right side. Either way, it doesn’t bother me. I haven’t enjoyed a phone this much in terms of design and functionality since the iPhone 4. It’s a beauty to look at and use.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Something that I noticed when it came to watching landscape content is I tend to have the earpiece on the left side. When watching content in full screen it makes the notch seem to disappear for me for the most part as opposed to when I view something with the notch on the right side. Either way, it doesn’t bother me. I haven’t enjoyed a phone this much in terms of design and functionality since the iPhone 4. It’s a beauty to look at and use.
I don't understand how an earpiece blocks the notch.??? Glad you are enjoying it!

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I don't understand how an earpiece blocks the notch.??? Glad you are enjoying it!

That’s because it doesn’t. The earpiece is in the notch for one. I simply don’t acknowledge the notch when it’s on the left side as much as I do when it’s on the right side. That is my point.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
You honestly don't notice it watching a video in landscape?

I know me. I like symmetry. It would bug me a lot.

It's great for you if you don't notice it.

I don't.

I prefer to watch video uncropped in it's native ratio. Doing that pulls the video in slightly from the edges and the video no longer moves up into the ears. Perfect rectangle.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
After seeing the X today, the notch bothered me less than expected. What bugged me the most was the "home bar" striking out text in Safari at the bottom of the screen, and the bottom one or two lines of text being clipped by the round corners. Those things are truly bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.