Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bruninho

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021

Mac OS 9.x

Mac OS 9 is the ninth and last major release of Apple’s classic Mac OS operating system. Introduced on October 23, 1999, it was promoted by Apple as "The Best Internet Operating System Ever", highlighting Sherlock 2’s Internet search capabilities, integration with Apple's free online services known as iTools and improved Open Transport networking. While Mac OS 9 lacks protected memory and full pre-emptive multitasking, lasting improvements include the introduction of an automated Software Update engine and support for multiple users.

R0ceaaa2c9b912d206e28a55a8e305d36.jpeg

Rd2be7c592520343576ae85046dd23275.jpeg

os9sherlock2_0025.jpeg

Mac OS 9.2.2 was the last release, on October 5, 2001. Apple discontinued development of Mac OS 9, transitioning all future development to Mac OS X. The final updates to Mac OS 9 addressed compatibility issues with Mac OS X while running in the Classic Environment and compatibility with Carbon applications. At the 2002 World Wide Developers Conference, Steve Jobs began his keynote address by staging a mock funeral for OS 9.

Jokes aside, Mac OS 9 Lives has a community dedicated to keep it alive as much as possible, with the help of an incredible macintosh content website, Macintosh Garden, and they have a great amount of software for Mac OS 9 covered, and below I try my best to compile with the help of fellow forum users a decent list of software for use with Mac OS 9.

R3a1393755ecf84344f36bcad54c4ab8f.png

Supported hardware:

Desktop Macs​

The following Macs are supported up to Mac OS 9.1:

All vintage Power Macintoshes
  • Power Macintosh 4400/7220
  • Power Macintosh 5200
  • Power Macintosh 5300
  • Power Macintosh 5400
  • Power Macintosh 5500
  • Power Macintosh 6100
  • Power Macintosh 6200
  • Power Macintosh 6300
  • Power Macintosh 6400
  • Power Macintosh 6500
  • Power Macintosh 7100
  • Power Macintosh 7200
  • Power Macintosh 7300
  • Power Macintosh 7500
  • Power Macintosh 7600
  • Power Macintosh 8100
  • Power Macintosh 8200
  • Power Macintosh 8500
  • Power Macintosh 8600
  • Power Macintosh 9600
  • Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh
  • Workgroup Server 9150
* The Performa and Workgroup Server variants of the same numeric series are also supported.
The following Macs are supported up to Mac OS 9.2.2:
  • Power Macintosh G3 (Beige)
  • Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One
  • Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White)
  • All iMac G3s
  • Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics)
  • Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics)
  • Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
  • Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio)
  • Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver)
  • Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors)
  • Power Mac G4 Cube
  • 15" iMac G4 700 MHz
  • 15" iMac G4 800 MHz
    Compatibility only for models manufactured before 4 Feb 2003 with EMC 1873
  • 17" iMac G4 800 MHz
  • eMac
  • eMac (ATI Graphics)
    Compatibility only for models that shipped with a CD-ROM or Combo Drive
* The Macintosh Server variants of the Power Macs listed are also supported.

PowerBooks​

The following PowerBooks are supported up to Mac OS 9.1:
  • PowerBook 1400
  • PowerBook 2400
  • PowerBook 3400
  • PowerBook 5300
  • PowerBook Duo 2300c
  • PowerBook G3 (Kanga)
The following PowerBooks are supported up to Mac OS 9.2.2:
  • All other PowerBook G3s
  • All PowerBook G4 Titanium models
  • All iBook G3s

Compatible hardware not officially supported by Apple:
  • Mac Mini G4 (Requires modified ROM and video drivers from macOS9lives.com)
  • Some PowerBook and Power Macintosh G4 models (Requires modified ROM from macOS9lives.com)
    • PowerBook G4 12” 867MHz
    • PowerBook G4 17” 1GHz
    • iBook G4 - all models which use the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 GPU (excludes the final 2005 revision)
  • Most models that only support up to OS 9.1 can run 9.2.x with OS 9 Helper.
If you do not have a Power PC Macintosh, QEMU is the best emulator available for OS 9.0.4 through 9.2.2

Minimum RAM:
  • 32 MB (with virtual memory set to at least 40MB)
Minimum Hard Drive Space / Partition Size:
  • 150 to 400MB of hard drive space, depending of installation options
Apple Software Updates
  • Mac OS 9.1 Update for OS 9.0 through 9.0.4
  • Mac OS 9.2.1 Update for OS 9.1 or 9.2
  • Mac OS 9.2.2 Update for OS 9.2.1 only
Web Browsers, FTP et al.
  • Fetch 4.0.3
  • iCab 3.0.5
  • Netscape 7.0.2
  • Internet Explorer 5.1.7
  • Classilla 9.3.4b
  • Ircle 3.1.2
  • Mulberry 3.1.6
  • Outlook Express 5.0.6
Audio & Video
  • Pro Tools Free 5.1
  • Audion
  • iMovie 1.x
  • Quicktime 5.0.2
Games
  • Caesar II
Graphics & Design
  • Adobe Photoshop 7.0
  • Adobe Illustrator 8.x
Office & Productivity
  • AppleWorks 6
  • ClarisWorks 4.x
  • Microsoft Office 2001
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1
Software Development
  • CodeWarrior 7.1 (This is the version used by Cameron Kaiser to build Classilla)
  • BBEdit 6.x
  • REALbasic 5.5
Tools & Utilities
  • ResEdit 2.1.3
  • AMICO 2.1.1
  • A-Dock 3.0.1
  • FinderPop 1.9.2
  • Default Folder 3.1.5
  • USB Overdrive 1.4
This is my first time doing a WikiPost, so bear with me... every help is appreciated, it is a work in progress. I’ll try to fix anything whenever possible!

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Good start. Are you looking for all compatible software in the software list? That list would get rather onerous. Especially the games section.

I'd suggest people leave the list to Apple made software only. Including subsidiaries owned by Apple but not publishing under the Apple brand. Such as Claris.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'd suggest people leave the list to Apple made software only.
The OS X threads on here have a tendency to include a wide range of software because several members have simply posted what they're using. We could do the same for this thread. Or stick to "killer" apps. IMO the more apps the better, keeping in mind that listing all apps out there is impossible.

Last edited:

Bruninho

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
I believe the list can be reduced to be made of most popular/useful apps, no matter if they are apple only or third party. Could be intended to be a starting point for those "new" to OS 9.

I created that list just to get the thread started, based on what I've already installed before. I forgot to include StuffIt Expander Deluxe, for example. This version allows for uncompressing and compressing, along with some context menu options AFAIK, and I needed to compress some files, so I got it.

It is a very important app, the same importance of todays "The Unarchiver" for current MacOS, although modern Mac OS has its own built-in version, The Unarchiver supports more formats so it is widely popular. And I forgot it... *facepalm*

With an OS so old, nobody can be so selective because not everything will still work for everyone in 2021, hence why some killer third party apps must be on that list, and along with some options too, IMO. For example, AppleWorks or Office 2001. Whatever works best for anyone, they still have something very important - choice. This way, purists and/or users that just want to have things done on it can be pleased.

If the list gets too long, one can always use the spoiler feature to create an accordion like list.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Good job creating this thread. I have a suggestion though- that you make as many of the listed programs available as hyperlinks, with perhaps a short description of them (for instance, a quick explanation of the year Fetch 4.0.3 was last updated and what makes it superior/worse to another browser).
For new users (and people less familiar with an old OS), it's really helpful to have this description of what a program does, so we don't have to go look it up to see whether it might be useful for us. Sometimes that information doesn't even exist.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a Games section. There are so many, so it's better to just leave that side to the Garden.

Bruninho

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
I am actually trying to organize my Apple Menu items for my OS 9 install before my OCD starts firing away or I fall asleep and tired this night, whatever comes first...

Edit - Done. I’ll take a nap. A long day of work awaits me tomorrow.

Once I have some time I will try to add the links for the software listed above. The Garden and the Repository will be great for this.

Regarding the Games section, I did it because... “The Macs can’t game”, I wanted to prove they wrong. =) Seriously, not everyone looks after OS 9 for productivity only. Some retro gamers like me too.

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
QT 4.1 ? That is rather old.. I am running QT 6 on OS 9.2.2, not sure of the updated version, but I know it’s 6. something.

Bruninho

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
I am yet to upgrade certain apps, because I am also getting my hand with OS 9.2.2 slowly as I use. I need more mileage and time to get used to it. For example, only yesterday I found out that I could create alias with a keyboard shortcut instead of context menus. This helped me to rebuild the Apple Menu organization much faster than I expected.

The OS 9 is not my only retro project, but it is one of those that I have much interest, I have a dosbox one, some vmware machines and qemu windows machines. Eventually, after the work time, I try to dedicate some time to it, but I always fall asleep because I am also too tired at the end of the day. Weekends are the best moment to play with them.

Hopefully when the pandemic is over so I can finally move to Spain, then I'll have my own space and time to invest in a small PPC machine, like the Mac Mini G4. The Mini and the Cube are the only machines that caught my attention. But for now it is not possible and I prefer to be "training" (for the lack of a better word) with emulators, because I was always more interested on the software side of the things than the hardware.

In another thread I mentioned that I did a replica of a classic Macintosh car bumper sticker, I plan to release it for others to print theirs soon. I just need to figure out a way to convert it from Vectornator on my iPad, where I managed to draw it, to a format everyone can use (for example, Illustrator .AI).

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I am yet to upgrade certain apps, because I am also getting my hand with OS 9.2.2 slowly as I use. I need more mileage and time to get used to it.
Aah, that journey. It's an evergoing journey, but an epic one. First, you find out about this really cool program, then another program, and another epic program, and another one... and it's barely even the beginning. It's insane how much great software exists for the original Mac OS.

Here's one of the quintessential programs: USB Overdrive. Lets you configure/remap USB input devices. Out-of-the-box enables right-clicking to access the context menu, and using the scrolling wheel to scroll, which is something taken for granted nowadays. Works with some mice and some not. I just simply do no ever use Mac OS without it. You could classify this as a (configurable) "driver", I guess. The mouse I use with it looks like this one. (Other Microsoft mouse models, and most other mouse models, among those I tested, did not work. More on my comment on this page, as "Jatoba". Luckily the lightest, cheapest and most ergonomic mouse is the one that worked.)

Here's my all-time favorite Mac OS program, an absolute necessity for me, especially once combined with USB Overdrive: FinderPop. FinderPop is a program that opened my eyes in terms of GUI design in ANY operating system ever released. To me, it made me realize everything in the GUI, like the dock, taskbar etc. is bloat, because to run anything, you need to move the mouse icon towards a certain place. With FinderPop, you don't. It also exists in OS X (and is just as amazing), but the OS 9 version has even more features (which are also very useful, and too many to list briefly).
Like A-Dock, more than just a "Utility", I personally classify it as a "GUI Enhancer".

Lastly, I should seriously recommend Default Folder. It makes file/folder dialogs movable and enriches them with more options you will eventually want. Lots of really useful configuration settings, too. Combine Default Folder with USB Overdrive and FinderPop, and you get an unbelievably good user experience. It's insane how just a few of the simple things done right has OVERWHELMING strength in terms of end result. I love using this OS in combination with those 3 programs.
This one, too, would be a "GUI Enhancer".

If you are new to the OS, or even if you are experienced with it, and you want to keep journeying to find and try out more and more programs available to this legendary system, these 3 apps will be an absolute blessing.

(Also, on a personal side note, getting out of Brazil to go to Europe is probably the best thing you could do: I did exactly that, one year ago, but to Germany instead, with my dual BR/EU citizenship, which took me a decade to get. Not everything is an upgrade, this is still earth, not paradise, but compared to Brazil, it sure feels like paradise. What I collected of Mac-related devices/hardware in 1 year would also have taken me about 10 years in Brazil, meaning it would never have been really possible.)

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
USB overdrive is a cool program and it does speed up the acceleration of the mouse, however I am using a Mighty Mouse which post dates OS 9 by 5-6 or 7 years. Certainly, there were and still are scroll wheels on mice between 1999-2002 - what app in OS 9 supports say, the mighty mouses’ scroll ball ?

as for old OS 9 manuals, I may have them.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
USB overdrive is a cool program and it does speed up the acceleration of the mouse, however I am using a Mighty Mouse which post dates OS 9 by 5-6 or 7 years. Certainly, there were and still are scroll wheels on mice between 1999-2002 - what app in OS 9 supports say, the mighty mouses’ scroll ball ?

as for old OS 9 manuals, I may have them.
Oh, I don't think the Mighty Mouse works any differently compared to other mice under the original Mac OS, meaning it would require USB Overdrive to be used in full. But that only if USB Overdrive supports it. While I do have a Mighty Mouse myself, even if it happens to be compatible, I personally am not interested in using that, because right-clicking with that mouse sucks regardless, and would necessarily and inherently slow one down.

Assuming USB Overdrive compatibility, the scrolling ball will likely work with any application with a scroll bar, like normal.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Thanks. Or what I can do is get another Intel Mouseman blue with intellieye and use that.. what’s neat is I already have the original cd with OS 9 drivers for it, might even support OS 8.6.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Assuming USB Overdrive compatibility, the scrolling ball will likely work with any application with a scroll bar, like normal.
I forgot to mention one detail: I meant vertical scrolling in this case, like what a scrolling wheel does. A scrolling ball, however, comes with the ability to also scroll horizontally. And that I don't know how it would behave with USB Overdrive.

Now I'm actually curious.

Bruninho

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
@Jubadub, thanks for the tips. I am gonna take a look and try them. I am already using USB Overdrive exactly because of the right click.

EDIT: Just tested them. I cannot deny that FinderPop and Default Folder are indeed very useful, excellent ideas for many users. Thank you!

I’ll add all three to the list, but I am going to continue using only the USB Overdrive. Right click is a very important thing to have and I can’t believe the OS was missing it right from the start.

Nothing wrong with these utilities, it was very interesting to test them and see what they were used for.

It’s just that I prefer some things the old way or a bit different. It’s great to have them for different Mac users preferences.

I like A-Dock, for example. I am used to having a Dock, because I started my “Mac life” from OS X Snow Leopard.

Also, I have a tendency to accidentally click where I didn’t want to, so a menu with several options to customize my next action is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
What’s a good backup software for OS 9 ? I just bought a new 512GB M2 sata SSD abs currently using CCC to close my Leopard partition, but what about my OS 9 partition, or can I just drag and drop Os 9 into its own partition ?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
@Bruninho It's the same as using the Apple Menu, as far as accidents can go. I wouldn't be concerned. If action scripts are a concern to you, you can easily drag them out of the options.

In fact, one of its side-functionalities is to upgrade the Apple Menu items to have small icons. In your screenshot above, look how at the left, things like "Calculator" have an icon next to them, but in the subwindow, all items are icon-less (like Toast Titanium, and SimpleText), and there's empty space for them to fit in, to the left, but goes unused.

You can combine A-Dock with FinderPop, too.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
This is key on the classic Mac OS. :)
Now imagine if you could invoke it from anywhere, without having to drag the mouse all the way there. :)

Y'know, at first sight, it's actually not very clear the insane potential, ease of use and simplicity of FinderPop. It's a lot more than just the Apple Menu. It's Apple Menu on crack. But there is one way I can communicate how mindblowing it is: I should record a video of it.

Seriously, I cannot overstate enough how this little app absolutely blows my mind by doing the simplest things so quickly and efficiently. I need to show it.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
View attachment 1758957

Browservice from my rpi3b at full speed, lets see how far I can go with it.

Someone reported the scrollbars issue to the dev, and he thinks he has a solution. Im gonna try it later and recompile Browservice.
Can Browservice be installed under terminal in Mac OS X Snow Leopatd ? I don’t want to install Linux just for this app ? Now I am jealous :)

Bruninho

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
Can Browservice be installed under terminal in Mac OS X Snow Leopatd ? I don’t want to install Linux just for this app ? Now I am jealous :)

No. The developer was pretty crystal clear, Browservice runs only under Linux. All the instructions you need are on his github home page, scroll down and you will find them. I can’t explain better than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.