Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

Obviously you’re free to your opinion, but what I am objecting to is your positioning of your opinion as fact when there’s no possible way to prove your speculation as anything other than that. There are plenty of simpler and observable explanations for these things, such as the aforementioned differences in design.
You are defending Apple no matter what it does. And you've not used a keyboard on an iPad. Otherwise you'd realise that the casing dimensions isn't a compatibility issue because the units attach magnetically. It would have been simple to adjust designs so the new keyboards could operate both Air and Pro. Not doing so was classic tactical product positioning. Make keyboard users wishing to upgrade have to buy a iPad Pro.

And how come the old keyboards which lack alloy, lack function keys, don't have a real hinge, don't have haptic feedback touchpad, have a much smaller touchpad, don't have a good scissor key action, don't have an alloy protection strip when closed - cost the same as the new Pro keyboards which do have each of those better features? Their R&D for the old magic keyboard has been paid for years ago, and they are much cheaper to make. Cheaper materials, much more plastic, worse key action, lacking a row of keys, cheap pad, cheaper opening mechanism, will look worn and grubby much quicker, lower tech and smaller touch pad. But they cost the same ...

As for the batteries - an old 8500 MAH 3.7 v iPad battery weighs 130 grams including its two casings. A new one would weigh less. But an extra 50 grams of battery would increase an iPad's usage from the claimed 10 hours to 15 hours. Add the 80% protection on charging and that would mean a 50 gram heavier iPad would last 20% longer hours and with DOUBLE its battery life expectancy. Or go for 15 hours instead of 10. But to get better battery life, then use the 80% and one is down to 7 to 8 hours. Which for my wife - sucks. Portability means not being connected and that means good battery life is mandatory.

If you look at a MacBook 13" - which has a 13.6" screen - one of them weighs 1.24 kg / 2.74 Lb. An 13" iPad Pro with its new keyboard weighs a bit more - close to 1.25 kg or 2.75 Lb. The MacBook screen is not detachable, and it lacks touch. But it types well anywhere. While the iPad doesn't as it over balances when typing on one's knees (even worse for balance than previous 12.9" Ipad Pro & keyboard combinations). And the MacBook has double the battery life.

Pricing:
Although an Ipad pro 13" with keyboard costs from $1,648.
A 13.6" Macbook Air starts from $999. And its lighter.
A 13.6" MacBook Air with 16 GB Ram and 1 TB costs from $1,599. The M3 with same - add $100.
An Ipad Pro 13" with keyboard, 16 MB RAM and 1 TB costs $2,248. But you get a better screen, and it's a touch screen, and detachability.

OK so let's buy the M3 MacBook Air instead for $1,700. We've saved $550. Buy an Ipad for $349 and I am $201 up. Buy an iPad Air for $599 and I've spent $49 more than the 13" Pro with good keyboard. Would buying the MacBook Air and the iPad Air last longer than an iPad Pro 13" with keyboard? You bet they would ... because using two devices, the battery would be used less. And they'd be used less. The iPad battery is a major weakness in that comparison too.

It's no wonder there is no touch screen in a Macbook. Like there is in an HP Elitebook same specs for around $1,600. And they have a touch screen. And weigh 2.9 lb.

But the iPad does pose a bit of a threat to MacBook sales. Both products have functions disabled to maintain separate market space. Which is done so Apple can sell more product. You can ignore Apple's positioning of its products and its pricing tactics and just be happy. But don't cover up basic business tactics with minutae arguments or requests for definitive proof. Just look around you and think. Look at the big picture. And try to understand why when Apple rips people off with a costly but inferior keyboard for the Air, it's just basic big business tactics.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don’t think it’s a bad thing that all the iPads get the same core functionality. Do you all really want a scenario where a feature like stage manager is locked behind the iPad Pros just for the sake of selling more expensive hardware?

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
You are defending Apple no matter what it does. And you've not used a keyboard on an iPad. Otherwise you'd realise that the casing dimensions isn't a compatibility issue because the units attach magnetically. It would have been simple to adjust designs so the new keyboards could operate both Air and Pro. Not doing so was classic tactical product positioning. Make keyboard users wishing to upgrade have to buy a iPad Pro.

And how come the old keyboards which lack alloy, lack function keys, don't have a real hinge, don't have haptic feedback touchpad, have a much smaller touchpad, don't have a good scissor key action, don't have an alloy protection strip when closed - cost the same as the new Pro keyboards which do have each of those better features? Their R&D for the old magic keyboard has been paid for years ago, and they are much cheaper to make. Cheaper materials, much more plastic, worse key action, lacking a row of keys, cheap pad, cheaper opening mechanism, will look worn and grubby much quicker, lower tech and smaller touch pad. But they cost the same ...

As for the batteries - an old 8500 MAH 3.7 v iPad battery weighs 130 grams including its two casings. A new one would weigh less. But an extra 50 grams of battery would increase an iPad's usage from the claimed 10 hours to 15 hours. Add the 80% protection on charging and that would mean a 50 gram heavier iPad would last 20% longer hours and with DOUBLE its battery life expectancy. Or go for 15 hours instead of 10. But to get better battery life, then use the 80% and one is down to 7 to 8 hours. Which for my wife - sucks. Portability means not being connected and that means good battery life is mandatory.

If you look at a MacBook 13" - which has a 13.6" screen - one of them weighs 1.24 kg / 2.74 Lb. An 13" iPad Pro with its new keyboard weighs a bit more - close to 1.25 kg or 2.75 Lb. The MacBook screen is not detachable, and it lacks touch. But it types well anywhere. While the iPad doesn't as it over balances when typing on one's knees (even worse for balance than previous 12.9" Ipad Pro & keyboard combinations). And the MacBook has double the battery life.

Pricing:
Although an Ipad pro 13" with keyboard costs from $1,648.
A 13.6" Macbook Air starts from $999. And its lighter.
A 13.6" MacBook Air with 16 GB Ram and 1 TB costs from $1,599. The M3 with same - add $100.
An Ipad Pro 13" with keyboard, 16 MB RAM and 1 TB costs $2,248. But you get a better screen, and it's a touch screen, and detachability.

OK so let's buy the M3 MacBook Air instead for $1,700. We've saved $550. Buy an Ipad for $349 and I am $201 up. Buy an iPad Air for $599 and I've spent $49 more than the 13" Pro with good keyboard. Would buying the MacBook Air and the iPad Air last longer than an iPad Pro 13" with keyboard? You bet they would ... because using two devices, the battery would be used less. And they'd be used less. The iPad battery is a major weakness in that comparison too.

It's no wonder there is no touch screen in a Macbook.

But the iPad does pose a bit of a threat to MacBook sales. Both products have functions disabled to maintain separate market space. Which is done so Apple can sell more product. You can ignore Apple's positioning of its products and its pricing tactics and just be happy. But don't cover up basic business tactics with minutae arguments or requests for definitive proof. Just look around you and think. Look at the big picture. And try to understand why when Apple rips people off with a costly but inferior keyboard for the Air, it's just basic big business tactics.
A. I use a Magic Keyboard Case on my iPad every day. The new one wouldn’t close properly with an old iPad, because the old iPad would be too thick. Besides, the magnets are in different locations to accommodate a different interior design for the new hardware. An old iPad wouldn’t properly magnetize to the new Magic Keyboard Case.

B. You’re just making unsubstantiated claims. Just saying things doesn’t make them true. You don’t know Apple’s motives. This has nothing to do with me “defending Apple no matter what”, but pointing out that your claims are merely opinion and nothing else.

C. I look around, and I don’t see what you claim. I see plenty of far more reasonable and likely explanations for things than your unsubstantiated theories on the matter. You’re not Apple, nor do you have any special insider knowledge, so you do not know Apple’s motives or reasoning, all you can do is theorize. And your theories make far less sense to me than others that seem to line up much better with the actual data.

D. Asking for proof for claims is a perfectly normal thing. But of course you cannot prove most of the things you’re claiming, because most of them are unprovable unless you are involved in the decision making at Apple HQ, and you are not…

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.