Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have the seven-inch itch?

• Total voters

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
You can get the cellular version from Verizon for $150 off with no long term contract. If you want $200 off, you would have to sign a contract for service. I purchased from Verizon for the $150 off and have been pleased thus far. It was overnighted to me free. I have had it since 3/28. Nice getting cellular for the price of WiFi.

Thanks!!

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Picked mine up. Screen protector and silicone back cover on, True Tone off. Restored from Mini 4 backup, had a lockup, but it’s up and running. My Mini 4 didn’t feel particularly slow when web surfing, but the Mini 5 is really snappy.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Picked mine up. Screen protector and silicone back cover on, True Tone off. Restored from Mini 4 backup, had a lockup, but it’s up and running. My Mini 4 didn’t feel particularly slow when web surfing, but the Mini 5 is really snappy.

Is the silicone cover from the mini 4? How does it fit?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Is the silicone cover from the mini 4? How does it fit?

Fits fine except camera opening is not aligned and mic openings in the wrong place. I haven’t taken a photo yet to see if the misaligned opening has any effect. One person says it does, another says it doesn’t.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This time I'm going completely unprotected for the iPad mini 5 to keep it as thin and as light as possible. I have a small bag that the iPad mini just fits in.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Coming from an iPad 3, I'm very tempted to get the Mini 5 cellular for its price point and practicality, but the 11" iPad Pro is very appealing to me as well. If price is a non issue for sure I'd get the 11" iPad Pro, but considering that I'm paying a laptop premium price to get a top end iPad is somewhat off putting.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Since the iPhones have been getting so much bigger (I have a 7 Plus), I haven't had much interest in the minis. The next step for me is a 9.7" to 11" iPad. 12.9" is too big for me for an iPad, but I have a 12" MacBook.

Coming from an iPad 3, I'm very tempted to get the Mini 5 cellular for its price point and practicality, but the 11" iPad Pro is very appealing to me as well. If price is a non issue for sure I'd get the 11" iPad Pro, but considering that I'm paying a laptop premium price to get a top end iPad is somewhat off putting.
So get the 10.5" iPad Air then. It's a HUGE upgrade over the iPad 3, in just about every way, and it's much, much cheaper than the 11" Pro. Or else do what I did and get the iPad Pro 10.5" from the Apple refurb store, or on closeout from a retail store. The iPad Pro 10.5" is superior to the Air in most ways except the SoC, which is mildly faster on the Air 10.5" vs. the Pro 10.5".

Also, with the Apple Smart Keyboard for the Air/Pro 10.5", it has become a partial laptop replacement for me. The keyboard is 18 mm full-size, and has a decent feel and key travel. The keyboard on the 9.7" Pro is too small, and the 9.7" Pro is not a great value anyway in 2019 IMO.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Get the iPad Air 3.

Fenhalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2019
Oscar Wilde: The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it...

Poor Oscar, if only he hadn't listened to his own advice:

1329726.jpg

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.