Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Mac Studio with 32 GB RAM running Ventura 13.4
bluetoothd 8,8 MB
configd 5,1 MB
WindowServer 1,37 GB
FireFox 2,03 GB
FirefoxCP Isolated Web Content 251,9MB 192,7MB 162,6MB 119,5MB 115.7MB 107,6MB 103,6MB 69,7MB 47,4MB

uptime 8 1/2 hours

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Stable Reproduction (updated in May 29, 2023):
  • Turn-off the Wi-Fi from control center (top right on your screen)
  • Enable it and wait for auto re-connection
  • Do this again and again, the `configd` goes to eat 200MB+ memory.
  • No worries, you can kill it to release your memory, then the underlying `launchd` will re-run this process
I did this about 20 times and 'configd' memory rose from 3.1MB to 3.2MB. And whilst typing this, has gone back to 3.1MB.

There must be something else in your configuration.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
What is happening with your ports count (in the memory screen of Activity Monitor)? Is it steadily rising as that correlates to memory usage on my system. My system does change WiFi routers on a regular basis so I'd expect that I would have seen this problem if that were the sole cause. I can test the WiFi reproducer as I'm downloading a few things for a while.

Could you post a video of the reproducer happening?

bosskwei

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
What is happening with your ports count (in the memory screen of Activity Monitor)? Is it steadily rising as that correlates to memory usage on my system. My system does change WiFi routers on a regular basis so I'd expect that I would have seen this problem if that were the sole cause. I can test the WiFi reproducer as I'm downloading a few things for a while.

Could you post a video of the reproducer happening?
Actually, the video has been uploaded to the feedback system, if you're an apple guy, you may read it. Will make the video publicly available after a few discussions.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Actually, the video has been uploaded to the feedback system, if you're an apple guy, you may read it. Will make the video publicly available after a few discussions.

I'm retired.

I have a YouTube channel and they are really easy to do with Apple Silicon. My usual approach is to upload to YouTube and then provide a link to the video when I run into bugs that may affect a lot of people.

ThrowerGB

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Mac Studio M1 Max, Ventura 13.4, 32GB
bluetoothd: 9.5 MB Memory, 2 MB VM Compressed, 27.2 MB Real Mem
configd: 6.0 MB Memory, 864 KB VM Compressed, 13.8 MB Real Mem

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Just for comparison:

We have a virtualised MacMini on MacMini 2014 hardware using ProxMox, running MacOS Mojave.
Note that it is running without a user logged in to the desktop. It functions as a Content Cache service, TimeMachine server, network drive storage and HomeKit bluetooth hub. It runs smoothly and fast with all these services.

Current uptime 12 days and both processes show around 3MB memory used. In earlier installations without virtualisation it ran easilyfor months without any memory issues.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not seeing any significant bloat after about 20 times turning it off & on. How many times did you do it to get to 200MB?

What else is running on your system, particularly that connects to the network? Any VPN, 3rd party firewall, services like SMTP, etc?

Zlig

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Mac Studio with 32 GB RAM running Ventura 13.4
bluetoothd 8,8 MB
configd 5,1 MB
WindowServer 1,37 GB
FireFox 2,03 GB
FirefoxCP Isolated Web Content 251,9MB 192,7MB 162,6MB 119,5MB 115.7MB 107,6MB 103,6MB 69,7MB 47,4MB

uptime 8 1/2 hours
A friend is experiencing catastrophic memory leaks in Mail on Ventura 13.4. It's intermittent but cripples the machine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 17.50.31.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 17.50.31.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Wow
Reactions: MacHeritage

AJBenergy

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
DC
The "leak" just hit me today. I see that my system upgraded to Ventura 3.4 a few days ago. On my MBP 16 incher from 2022, w/ all but the highest level of RAM: I run Tidal, Word, Mail, and Safari with NY Times. Never saw a problem before today. But this afternoon, while working on my employer's Dell, I looked to my MBP to see a system popup that I had used up all of my RAM. ... Shades of the reason I left the DOS/Windows world about 10 years ago. ... This is just too .... Windows-like for Apple to ignore. No?

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
The "leak" just hit me today. I see that my system upgraded to Ventura 3.4 a few days ago. On my MBP 16 incher from 2022, w/ all but the highest level of RAM: I run Tidal, Word, Mail, and Safari with NY Times. Never saw a problem before today. But this afternoon, while working on my employer's Dell, I looked to my MBP to see a system popup that I had used up all of my RAM. ... Shades of the reason I left the DOS/Windows world about 10 years ago. ... This is just too .... Windows-like for Apple to ignore. No?
I know what you're going through.

I suggest you get comfortable and make peace with the fact that these issues may not be resolved in the near future. I've personally experienced (fortunately, now rarely) memory leaks since macOS 12.0 beta. I assure you. Many of them have been fixed, thankfully, but occasionally, one pops up. In Mail, Reminder, Calendar, and other Apple and third-party apps, so it's clearly a macOS problem.

KarstenS

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
A friend is experiencing catastrophic memory leaks in Mail on Ventura 13.4. It's intermittent but cripples the machine.

Same issue here. But the application doesn't matter.

MBP M1 with 16GB RAM.

Ventura 16.5

My most used applications are Chrome and Discord. The more I use them, the more memory is consumed by the applications. Doesn't matter which one. As soon as the swap file gets bigger than 30GB, the system begins to stutter. With these 2 applications for me it takes around 2-4 days to reach this level.

When I'm working in Davince Resolve, I get to that level in just around 2-3 hrs.

As soon as I close the applications and open them again and restore the previous state when I open them again, the memory is as if emptied and the swap is usually shrunk to 100-300MB.

With the same applications and the same workflow on a System running Windows 11, I've no issues at all like this.

Last edited:

ThrowerGB

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
I haven't seen this problem. I'm running on Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB with Ventura 13.5, just updated to 13.5.1.

The apps I usually have open are:
MS 365 Word & Excel
Quicken
Adobe Acrobat Pro
PDF Expert
Photos
Stickies
Sophos Home
Reminders
CrashPlan Pro
Time Machine
MacUpdater
mSecure
Contacts
Safari
Mail
& Calendar

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had a particularly bad bug on Monterey on my 2015 MacBook Pro (WiFi goes out and requires a reboot) so I went back to Big Sur and it's fine. If you have a bad problem with a particular release, it may be worthwhile trying the previous release to see if that fixes the problem. We are pretty late in the Beta cycle for Sonoma and it may be worthwhile to test on the next release.

I have a test machine where I test my production stuff before upgrading my production machines. I do not want to upgrade to something that breaks my setup and then have to restore from backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.