Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are tons of benefits of Jailbreak, you can even install older versions of apps into your update device after jailbreak
Nice. So, suggesting a tweak known to facilitate piracy (Appsync) is the way you wish to go here?

There's a better and legitimate way and it's called AppAdmin

appadmin-cydia.png

You will note that AppAdmin does not have a reputation for piracy.

Reactions: crashnburn

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Nice. Which iPhone models and OS versions does this work on without issues?

Nice. So, suggesting a tweak known to facilitate piracy (Appsync) is the way you wish to go here?

There's a better and legitimate way and it's called AppAdmin

appadmin-cydia.png

You will note that AppAdmin does not have a reputation for piracy.

Hamedd2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Hi
I want to jailbreak my iPhone 6 plus.
i can't find for 10.2.1 a stable jailbreak. Is it possible to downgrade? or it is better to update to 10.3? or should i wait for untethered jailbreak?
Is it so that certificate will expire every 7 days, why?
Many thanks

guneetgstar

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017
I might suggest a process for jailbreaking that I follow and has led to decent results for me.

Stock
1. Connect to iTunes and backup
2. Restore iPhone as new (Erase All Contents and Settings from the device)
3. Disable Find my iPhone, TouchID, passcode lock and set screen to Never Lock
4. Leave iTunes open and Jailbreak (as an Administrator if using Windows)

5. Restore from backup
1:Whats the need for Step 2?
2:In step 3 , disbling find my iphone is ok but whats the need of other things in that?
4:How to open jailbreak in windows in 4th step?
@iphonedude2008 @eyoungren

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1:Whats the need for Step 2?
2:In step 3 , disbling find my iphone is ok but whats the need of other things in that?
4:How to open jailbreak in windows in 4th step?
@iphonedude2008 @eyoungren
At the time I wrote this there were no semi-untethered jailbreaks yet.

That said, to answer your questions.

1. Step 2 is not strictly necessary, but it does eliminate complications. In the past, I have been unable to jailbreak in my current stock condition. Restoring as new enabled me to jailbreak because I started with a clean, stock device.

2. Disabling the other stuff is simply a precautionary measure. At the time you didn't want your phone locking during the jailbreak process and the JB process needed simple access to the device. Disabling all the security features and setting the screen to be on while jailbreaking ensures all that.

4. Not understanding. All I am saying here is to have iTunes running in the background while you execute the JB app. Since 99% of jailbreak apps leverage the iTunes sync connection with a device, having iTunes running in the background may facilitate things. It certainly won't hurt.

Again, please keep in mind that all this stuff was written before the 9.2 jailbreak where things changed. With the newer jailbreaks you jailbreak on the phone now.

Last edited:
Reactions: guneetgstar

guneetgstar

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017
4. Not understanding. All I am saying here is to have iTunes running in the background while you execute the JB app. Since 99% of jailbreak apps leveral the iTunes sync connection with a device having iTunes running in the background may facilitate things. It certainly won't hurt.

Again, please keep in mind that all this stuff was written before the 9.2 jailbreak where things changed. With the newer jailbreaks you jailbreak on the phone now.

Well am new to iphones so I dont know much about JB apps ,I just thought that the jailbreak app is for windows, am on iOS 10.2.3 tell me an app to JB my iphone?
@iphonedude2008

Hamedd2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Hi
I want to jailbreak my iPhone 6 plus.
i can't find for 10.2.1 a stable jailbreak. Is it possible to downgrade? or it is better to update to 10.3? or should i wait for untethered jailbreak?
Is it so that certificate will expire every 7 days, why?
Many thanks
no one can help me?

pikcel8

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Hi My iphone 64bit 5s is on 8.1.2 and Jailbroken and no blobs saved. Im a dinosaur who used to know about all this stuff but older now and heads not as great as it was before!! Yahoo Mail just advised i must upgrade to above 9.0 to use the yahoo app. Is there any way to upgrade - retain my Jailbreak/unlock ? Cheers

Appledude991

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
I might suggest a process for jailbreaking that I follow and has led to decent results for me.

Jailbroken already.
2. Leave iPhone connected to iTunes/computer, power off
3. Place iPhone in DFU mode
4. When iPhone is detected by iTunes, upgrade and restore as new
5. Disable Find my iPhone, TouchID, passcode lock and set screen to Never Lock
6. Leave iTunes open and Jailbreak (as an Administrator if using Windows)
7. Restore from backup.

Stock
2. Restore iPhone as new (Erase All Contents and Settings from the device)
3. Disable Find my iPhone, TouchID, passcode lock and set screen to Never Lock
4. Leave iTunes open and Jailbreak (as an Administrator if using Windows)
5. Restore from backup

This process is a bit long, but so far it's worked well for me. Just thought I would suggest it for this thread.
[doublepost=1506880742][/doublepost]hello katagrafo i have a ipad 4 which i cannot access because its asking me to be updated when i try to restore it on itunes
i found it in a store a few months ago and as i tryed to give it back they told me it did not belong to them
then i let a friend borrow it and he disabled it after so many trys
and now it only ask me to be connected to itunes but unfortunately does not show up only when i try to restore it
is there any jailbreak out there that i can do from my computer without access to the ipad?

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I used to be a regular jailbreaker, but I haven't bothered for a while now, so I wanted to hear how many of you are still into it?

I have an iPhone on iOS 10.3.1 and my iPad's on 11.1.1. I'm not keen on tethered jailbreaks, so what are my options these days?

Is it even still worth jailbreaking anymore?

Thanks! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I used to be a regular jailbreaker, but I haven't bothered for a while now, so I wanted to hear how many of you are still into it?

I have an iPhone on iOS 10.3.1 and my iPad's on 11.1.1. I'm not keen on tethered jailbreaks, so what are my options these days?

Is it even still worth jailbreaking anymore?

Thanks! :)
Like anything, jailbreaking is worth what you want to get out of it.

I've had one phone since late September 2015 and that's been my 6s+. It got updated to iOS 9.0.2 in October 2015 and then the second to last fully untethered jailbreak dropped and I jailbroke it.

Fast forward to now and the phone is still on 9.0.2 and still jailbroken. I have over 200 tweaks installed. So, jailbreaking is worth it to me.

I have an iPhone 5 on 10.3.3 jailbroken. That's semi-untethered. It's let me add some of the same stuff I have on my 6s+. But this is a secondary phone so I am not using it too much.

But, if you can't find a reason to jailbreak (I can find multiple reasons for me) then don't bother. Semi-untethered isn't worth the hassle for no reason or no significant reason.

This is my last jailbreak on my primary phone however. My next primary phone will not be an iPhone. Apple is going in a different direction than I am.

Reactions: Jhon Micheal

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Like anything, jailbreaking is worth what you want to get out of it.

I've had one phone since late September 2015 and that's been my 6s+. It got updated to iOS 9.0.2 in October 2015 and then the second to last fully untethered jailbreak dropped and I jailbroke it.

Fast forward to now and the phone is still on 9.0.2 and still jailbroken. I have over 200 tweaks installed. So, jailbreaking is worth it to me.

I have an iPhone 5 on 10.3.3 jailbroken. That's semi-untethered. It's let me add some of the same stuff I have on my 6s+. But this is a secondary phone so I am not using it too much.

But, if you can't find a reason to jailbreak (I can find multiple reasons for me) then don't bother. Semi-untethered isn't worth the hassle for no reason or no significant reason.

This is my last jailbreak on my primary phone however. My next primary phone will not be an iPhone. Apple is going in a different direction than I am.

Hi, yea, I always jailbroke when it was more of a regular thing. I've had to replace my 6s last year so the then-current OS is what I remain on. Sure glad I've escaped iOS 11 though. haha...

So I am on 10.3.1 on a 6s and am wondering what my options are. And what does semi-untethered entail in this case?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And what does semi-untethered entail in this case?
Semi-untethered means the following.

• You boot in an unjailbroken state. You must run the app on the phone to rejailbreak.
• The app that jailbreaks the phone must be resigned every seven days if you are using the free Apple developer account. Once a year if using a paid account. There are a few ways around that, but I don't know the particulars. If you don't reboot often you don't have to resign until the next boot.

• If you are like a lot of others and simply upgrade to remove a jailbreak, the potential of that biting you in the ass at a later date seems to be good. Stories of Cydia being deleted, but tweaks still working, or being unable to delete Cydia (because upgrading left it and other pieces behind), etc, etc.

• Difficulty of getting into Non-Mobile Subtrate mode (Safe Mode). No more holding Volume Up on boot (you boot unjailbroken so that does not work).

• Sometimes it takes repeated attempts before the JB app rejailbreaks the phone.

Just a lot of quirks and minor issues that won't bother most people who jailbreak for a specific reason. But for others, they just don't want to deal with that.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Semi-untethered means the following.

• You boot in an unjailbroken state. You must run the app on the phone to rejailbreak.
• The app that jailbreaks the phone must be resigned every seven days if you are using the free Apple developer account. Once a year if using a paid account. There are a few ways around that, but I don't know the particulars. If you don't reboot often you don't have to resign until the next boot.

• If you are like a lot of others and simply upgrade to remove a jailbreak, the potential of that biting you in the ass at a later date seems to be good. Stories of Cydia being deleted, but tweaks still working, or being unable to delete Cydia (because upgrading left it and other pieces behind), etc, etc.

• Difficulty of getting into Non-Mobile Subtrate mode (Safe Mode). No more holding Volume Up on boot (you boot unjailbroken so that does not work).

• Sometimes it takes repeated attempts before the JB app rejailbreaks the phone.

Just a lot of quirks and minor issues that won't bother most people who jailbreak for a specific reason. But for others, they just don't want to deal with that.

Oh boy, sounds like iOS has gotten harder to beat. I mainly used it for features that are now part of iOS and tethering. Tethering would be my no. 1 reason to attempt to jailbreak, although for some reason, the Hotspot feature (same thing, Hotspot and tethering as you likely know) is active on my phone and apparently account, so I'm good on that front.

So in other words, I'd be tied to a computer to some extent (some would consider it to a be great extent) and the whole thing would be fairly unstable, until you got everything running exactly the way you want and know which add-on plays nice with which extension, etc.?

The jailbreak community must have shrunk significantly. Are there any numbers available on that? It used to be such a fun thing every year. :D

Iphonesshssh

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
Nice writeup, thanks for doing it.

Just a point of clarification, the Taig jailbreak does support 8.4 (but not 8.4.1),their website actually lists it as 8.1.3-8.4.
I had jailbroken 32 bit ios with stolen in Icloud locked 2 years ago by redsn0w but . I am here with my Iphone which is obviously second hand . Icloud locked. You guyz don't know any program that don't need shsh blobs like as redsnow.

Shandyandy

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
I had jailbroken 32 bit ios with stolen in Icloud locked 2 years ago by redsn0w but . I am here with my Iphone which is obviously second hand . Icloud locked. You guyz don't know any program that don't need shsh blobs like as redsnow.

Have I been jail broken or hacked?
52E4E203-9EA1-44B2-A617-BBE689E8FD45.jpeg
AE5831F2-E176-4CFF-9CD9-B64B7763AF34.jpeg
B5DFD213-AC71-42E2-BC72-0B99569983A4.jpeg
18F8D80E-C7AD-47B2-B3C7-AFB216698F48.jpeg
699E838A-F067-4B32-9336-AB3E09148CC2.jpeg
BF1B22D9-626B-4C12-AFFA-CC302C54288F.jpeg

jdm70

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
hi ive found a iPhone 4s in drawings version is 9.3.6 can i jailbreak that one please

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.