Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
People are running their businesses of these platforms.
Problems are not unheard of, but they should never happen on a global scale like this.

I am looking forward to hear what has happened (Hack?) and what are the long term consequences (Privacy break?).
Good question. I had a nice reel all ready to post too! 😂

Reactions: SamRyouji

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
It is hilarious that they have to resort to X to communicate with their users.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 16.23.38.png

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Looks like the service has resumed, at least for FB.

This lasted for over one hour.

• Wow
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
If the reports that the whole of FB, IG and MSGr are down are correct, it would seem that Meta has a single point of failure somewhere.

Wow! That should just not be possible.

EDIT:

Yep. Sounds like something Apple would do. Didn’t expect it from Meta.

Ta_whirimatea

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2023
If the reports that the whole of FB, IG and MSGr are down are correct, it would seem that Meta has a single point of failure somewhere.

EDIT:
Good. Meta is the cancer of the internet

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

EDIT:
I would bet on “Meta went off line for outside networks with a possible threat of being hacked/already hacked”. Typical for companies when investigating security hacks to cut outside networks. Meta has data centers in multiple continents.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
YouTube has tons of great content in the science and computing and music and hobbyist space, don’t lump those together.
I used to like it before all the thumbnail and clickbait stuff took over. I rather read a detailed paper or content than sift through the dramatized you tube videos.

Reactions: TheLunaPark

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
You’re watching (or “liking”) the wrong videos then. I barely get any clickbait suggestions.
I don’t click or watch any more. There are hardly any good ones. I miss those old Anandtech and Arstechnica reports/write ups. Personally I have better sources than YouTube, with out drama.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Should’ve kept it offline. Nothing of value would be lost.

This is all over the news as if the world has ended. It’s terrible how much people are addicted to this crap.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
YouTube has tons of great content in the science and computing and music and hobbyist space, don’t lump those together.
Agreed. It's the only social media platform I use, if I don't include the odd forum post. Lots of quality long form content if you show discernment and seek it out. There's 3 YT creators to whom I contribute via Patreon, providers of content I would never feasibly get elsewhere.

Keep clicking "not interested" and "don't recommend channel" enough, along with "remove from watch history" on any mistaken/regrettable viewings, and your feed improves immeasurably and YT becomes a great place. And of course, avoid comments altogether, barring the odd niche creator who hasn't got idiotic people watching and commenting.

I happily pay for YouTube Premium. The only bummer is being unable to nuke Shorts from ever appearing in the iPad OS app, the main place I use YT.

Unrelated, but Ready Player One had the right idea at the end...

SPOILER
...taking it offline 2 days every week. Moderation in everything -->better life imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.