Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Every new Apple product launch is followed by posts by a few people discovering quality control issues with their new device. I know it's rare but I'd like to check mine for defects when I get it. Curious to hear from others' experiences what some good things to check for are and how to check for them.

Things that come to mind:
  • Dead Pixels: Download a series of solid colour images from the web and display them full screen (e.g., in Photos) and check for any black dots (dead pixels).
  • Backlight Bleed: Download and display in full screen a solid black background and set display to max brightness. Check for any glaring issues with uneven backlighting around the edges.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Every new Apple product launch is followed by posts by a few people discovering quality control issues with their new device. I know it's rare but I'd like to check mine for defects when I get it. Curious to hear from others' experiences what some good things to check for are and how to check for them.

Things that come to mind:
  • Dead Pixels: Download a series of solid colour images from the web and display them full screen (e.g., in Photos) and check for any black dots (dead pixels).
  • Backlight Bleed: Download and display in full screen a solid black background and set display to max brightness. Check for any glaring issues with uneven backlighting around the edges.
Mine is A okay

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
or follow the usual trend of replacing the iPads one after another till you find a keeper ! You have the 14 day return policy right ?

Reactions: MisterMillz

Opus00

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My first iPad Pro 10.5 had a dead pixel right near the top of the screen. I had it exchanged and the second one is perfect so far. I did compare it to my 9.7 iPP and did notice a slightly warmer tone on the 10.5 vs 9.7. Doesn't bother me and wouldn't have noticed any difference if I didn't put the two side-by-side.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Here's something to check for sure:
1: Connect the Apple Pencil, leave it plugged in
2: Turn the iPad in portrait mode
3: Turn around 3 times
4: Hop on one foot

If, after doing all of the above, lobsters start to crawl out of the speaker holes you should return to Apple.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
if there's an issue that's noticeable, I'm confident I'll find it within two weeks. I don't go out of my way to find problems. Have enough of those! :D

Reactions: Sunny1990

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015

If, after doing all of the above, lobsters start to crawl out of the speaker holes you should return to Apple.

I was with you until you got to #3. I was thinking what possible problem is this going to find. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
if there's an issue that's noticeable, I'm confident I'll find it within two weeks. I don't go out of my way to find problems. Have enough of those! :D

Sometimes reading through all the negativity on tech forums can provoke others to start analyzing every little detail on their new iPad and they think they found something and worry over it. It's better to enjoy it and if something arises where it's an issue, Apple will address it.

Reactions: MisterMillz

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina

I was with you until you got to #3. I was thinking what possible problem is this going to find. :)

I was good until #4 cuz #3 helps test the GPS ;)

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
All LCD panels will have some back-light showing, my Mini 4 and Gen 1 iPad Pro both had slight back-light showing up on pitch black background but nothing in the center screen just the edges (where it is supposed to happen.) I have found no such thing as a perfect iPad. My newest one scared me a little at first because the speakers being even beefier than the original they shook a little more than I remembered, then there is a microscopic (like literally so tiny you HAVE to REALLY look for a small quarter centimeter glass imperfection white bezel (only seen if eyes are about 4 inches away and you are looking in a light to catch it.) I thought about taking it back but seeing as there are no replacements and how I know I am just being OCD I opted to keep mine.

Kallum37.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

Instructions unclear. Dick inside speaker hole.

Please no lobster inside my iPad, please!

Reactions: parseckadet

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I used to check my new Apple devices over like this and get super worked up about it. It's not worth it. Once you get into that viscous cycle of return, look for new defects, return, look for new defects, etc. you'll never be happy with any of your replacement units. You'll always find something that bothers you.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

I was doing well up to #4, iPad slipped dropped and cracked screen while hopping. And no I don't have AppleCare+ :(

Or does this prove the iPad was faulty and I can get a replacement?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
All LCD panels will have some back-light showing, my Mini 4 and Gen 1 iPad Pro both had slight back-light showing up on pitch black background but nothing in the center screen just the edges (where it is supposed to happen.) I have found no such thing as a perfect iPad. My newest one scared me a little at first because the speakers being even beefier than the original they shook a little more than I remembered, then there is a microscopic (like literally so tiny you HAVE to REALLY look for a small quarter centimeter glass imperfection white bezel (only seen if eyes are about 4 inches away and you are looking in a light to catch it.) I thought about taking it back but seeing as there are no replacements and how I know I am just being OCD I opted to keep mine.

Kallum37.

But you know it will still bug you, every day ;)

Reactions: Orangeman13

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
But you know it will still bug you, every day ;)
I thought it might bug me... and was really close to returning it, (usually my OCD is 99% under control) but anxiety hit me hard in the gut in every direction from life this past week so I have been a bit hectic and irrational in my thoughts (about the iPad and it's "perfection" that I thought it had to have.) But I remembered if I gave into OCD... I'd end up returning it over and over until Apple said "no more"... as I WILL NEVER find a "perfect iPad." There will never be anything without flaws, it's how life is and despite meticulous manufacturing efforts the materials used in the iPad and most electronics add to that. It will still usually be better than most other manufacturers, but will also still be imperfect as no material can be perfect (even diamonds aren't perfect.)

*Enough of my incoherent rambling, lol.
Just enjoy your iPad everyone try not to focus so hard on issues if they aren't right in your face or actually defective. :)

Kallum.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I thought it might bug me... and was really close to returning it, (usually my OCD is 99% under control) but anxiety hit me hard in the gut in every direction from life so I became a bit a little hectic in my thoughts (about the iPad and it's "perfection" that I thought it had to have.) But I remembered if I gave into OCD... I'd ended up returning it over and over until Apple said "no more"... as I WILL NEVER find something perfect in life. There will never be anything without flaws, it's how life is and despite meticulous manufacturing efforts the materials used in the iPad and most electronics add to that. It will still usually be better than most other manufacturers, but will also still be imperfect as no material can be perfect (even diamonds aren't perfect.)

*Enough of my incoherent rambling, lol.
Just enjoy your iPad everyone try not to focus so hard on issues if they aren't right in your face or actually defective. :)

Kallum.

To be honest, your last statement is very true. People obviously do have issues they see straight away, and they should get those resolved. However, some people look under a microscope to actively find issues. If you have to look that hard, you'll find something. It's like backlight bleed .... "go into a dark room and put on a black screen and crank the brightness up" .... if you don't do that in real-world usage, why do it and find an "issue".

Reactions: HiItsMe and Kal-037

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Exactly! But at the same time I'm logical about expensive stuff though; I'll give the device a good once-over/ light inspection to make sure it's adequate... but putting it under the microscope sets me up for anger, frustration, and anxiety.
I want a good device I paid a lot for, but I don't want anxiety, disappointment, and anger too. It's so not worth it.
Sorry, just repeating myself I think. lol (I should probably head to bed. Night good sir. :)

Reactions: MrGimper

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To be honest, your last statement is very true. People obviously do have issues they see straight away, and they should get those resolved. However, some people look under a microscope to actively find issues. If you have to look that hard, you'll find something. It's like backlight bleed .... "go into a dark room and put on a black screen and crank the brightness up" .... if you don't do that in real-world usage, why do it and find an "issue".

I said it before in this thread or another, but most "Average" tech users won't notice the smallest imperfections. But when you take somebody that frequently visits a tech forum where others come to report problems or discuss issues, then opens up for that same individual to start examining their devices to see what's wrong with it. It just creates a chain reaction of anxiety and issues for those who want a perfect device. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect in this world, not even Apple devices.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I said it before in this thread or another, but most "Average" tech users won't notice the smallest imperfections. But when you take somebody that frequently visits a tech forum where others come to report problems or discuss issues, then opens up for that same individual to start examining their devices to see what's wrong with it. It just creates a chain reaction of anxiety and issues for those who want a perfect device. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect in this world, not even Apple devices.

I also think the problem is with Apple and the focus they give in their presentations to how each device is "meticulously crafted" and "premium" and "constructed with attention to detail never seen before". Take the iPhone 5 where Jony says in the video that each phone is matched against ~270 cuts for the antenna cutouts so that the best fit is matched. It's a bit hard to stomach that kind of boasting and then find your new device has a scratch/chip or a dodgy screen out of the box.

Reactions: sneak3

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I also think the problem is with Apple and the focus they give in their presentations to how each device is "meticulously crafted" and "premium" and "constructed with attention to detail never seen before". Take the iPhone 5 where Jony says in the video that each phone is matched against ~270 cuts for the antenna cutouts so that the best fit is matched. It's a bit hard to stomach that kind of boasting and then find your new device has a scratch/chip or a dodgy screen out of the box.

I would agree with this. I think Apple wants to put the highest product out to the consumer, but they also use a lot of marketing strategies when they debut a new product on the stage for the millions of people viewing worldwide.

Although, I have an appreciation for Apple hardware, when you mass produce millions and millions of a specific unit, some will more will have defects or issues. That happens with any manufacture, not just Apple.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I would agree with this. I think Apple wants to put the highest product out to the consumer, but they also use a lot of marketing strategies when they debut a new product on the stage for the millions of people viewing worldwide.

Although, I have an appreciation for Apple hardware, when you mass produce millions and millions of a specific unit, some will more will have defects or issues. That happens with any manufacture, not just Apple.

Of course, that's the real-world situation for mass-produced devices.

It's just that when Jony is on a video and he's talking to me and telling me that my device is made with so much love, and I open it and it's like the dog used it as a chew-toy, I'm going to be less forgiving :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Of course, that's the real-world situation for mass-produced devices.

It's just that when Jony is on a video and he's talking to me and telling me that my device is made with so much love, and I open it and it's like the dog used it as a chew-toy, I'm going to be less forgiving :)

I give Ive credit. He is a brilliant designer and he has the voice for marketing a product.

Reactions: MrGimper
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.