Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Buy the lens, fine. the 50mm is worth having, or the 35mm f/2 or the new f/1.8. You might also enjoy the 85mm f/1.8. A new camera wont help. Yes that site is dodgy http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com/2009/06/warning-closeout-island-is-rip-off-bait.html the price is insane on the D300, clearly it's illegitimate.
Guess its a good thing I didn't sell my 360 just yet.
Here was some toying around I did, trying to get a feel of basic lighting, I put a lamp on the side towards the back.

Well, I think I trashed the other few

Attachments

• DSC_0792.jpg
    DSC_0792.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0793.jpg
    DSC_0793.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 51

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Let's see how I progress with the D80 for the next while before I make a jump. Obviously my plan fell through, I noted my friend of the fraud link. I kinda wonder why she told me she knew someone who received a 50D through that site in that case.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
That is the type of photos I want to take, along with landscape. I didn't plan to get a D300 for the MPs, just for the MPs so I can scale it or crop is down to reduce noise (if any).

Perhaps I do need to shoot more, I've tried fixed lenses and I can't master it to save a dying dog.
If the cheap kit lens is the only one you work with, then a new body will do zilch. You should get a good lens first instead of wasting your money on a new, semi-professional body.

From your posts and the two shots you've posted it's obvious that you just haven't mastered your camera yet. Preciously little will change when you just get a more expensive body.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
If the cheap kit lens is the only one you work with, then a new body will do zilch. You should get a good lens first instead of wasting your money on a new, semi-professional body.

From your posts and the two shots you've posted it's obvious that you just haven't mastered your camera yet. Preciously little will change when you just get a more expensive body.
Well, I dont have a photo setup in a cubed size room. I'm going up north in a week and I have some ideas of photos to do so I'll report back with those but where I am now, not much I can do here.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Well, I dont have a photo setup in a cubed size room.

No excuses. You could have shot the Xbox with one of those $10 DIY light tents (Cardboard box and tracing paper) and gotten better images.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

You could have gotten a kit for it- but either way you have to learn about lighting and exposure and from my perspective you seem to be doing everything you possibly can to avoid learning.

Just like the portrait advice, you seem to be skimming over the answers or not fully absorbing them. There is no quick route to really good photographs.

I'd suggest taking a beginner's photography class at this point, since you don't seem to be doing well with written advice, perhaps someone showing you would be more beneficial to your learning?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Well, I dont have a photo setup in a cubed size room. I'm going up north in a week and I have some ideas of photos to do so I'll report back with those but where I am now, not much I can do here.
They weren't even properly exposed nor was the lighting any good. Just exposing them properly and moving around some lamps would have helped, too. With these skills, you should definitely not upgrade the camera: the more professional the camera, the more complex they are to use.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I still don't understand why the OP wants to look at the images at 100%. Explain?

yeah, seriously. The only reason i would think of a normal person would do this would to pixel peep, testing lenses in a ethical way. This thread took a weird turn...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

Sounds as though you're lacking not only in photographic skills but creativity as well..... surely you can find SOMETHING to shoot where you are right now! Just look around you: potential photographs are everywhere.

As for having "a photo setup in a cubed size room...." sometimes that's not necessary at all to get an interesting or artistic shot. Although I do have a light tent and various lights, there have been times when I've gotten some pretty cool images by setting things up on my kitchen counter, allowing natural light to come in through the adjacent windows..... Playing with the light, that's key. This is the kind of thing you need to learn and the best way of doing that is simply to do it -- experiment! An advantage of using digital cameras is the immediate feedback and also the absence of concern about the inherent limitations of a 24 or 36 exposure roll of film. With digital memory we have so much more space in which to experiment.

Grab that camera and get out there and really LOOK at the world around you.....

Here's an example of something I shot one day while experimenting:

p971248218.jpg

The setup? On the kitchen countertop, a piece of shiny (reflective) black plastic , natural lighting from my kitchen windows.... and the camera. Oh, yes, the camera.....my iPhone.

Sure, this probably wouldn't win any awards if blown up into an 11 x 14, but on the other hand, I think it's still a rather interesting image.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.