Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
It appears to be Nikon's strategy in the FX space, so I don't see them dropping a body as the price points will differ.

It's 20 "types" that is you can have 20 lenses on the D3 series, but not say 2 24-70 lenses, plus you can have adjustment with a TC for each lens- I'm not sure about multiple TCs though. It seems the D700 has 12 slots if Google knows all...
Ah alrite, well it will be better if Nikon introduces FX f/4 glasses as step up lenses, cause f/2.8 is way way expensive to make the transition from DX to FX.

Hmm, how many types does the D300 allows then?

Well I'm planning to get serious into photography and eventually go into wedding photography, so planning to get a D300 body first since D700 is just too expensive for me to make the transaction from Canon to Nikon. (plus I need to get new lenses + flashgun)

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Question: compuwar, how big are the D3x files right out of the camera, and how big are they saved to, say, Tiff or as uncompressed files?

I've heard they're enormous. That's another factor to consider, because a computer that's short on horsepower probably can't handle such large files on a regular basis.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
If I was photographing birds like Compuwar and could afford the D3x and it had the same AF system that the D700/D3 have I'd be buying it without even thinking. The croppability would be awesome to have. But I don't shoot birds, I shoot people and street scenes, and I'd like to do landscape and motorsport and perhaps try my hand at an MLS soccer game. I'd obviously get a lot of use from a D3 in all these situations but I didn't like the feel of the D3's built in grip. So I grabbed the D700 which is about 90% identical performance wise and loved it. The main difference performance wise is the framerate, but 5fps is pretty quick, and the battery grip can push it to 8 if I need it.

For me it's a no brainer. I don't crop that heavily at all, usually just to bring an image to a standard print size. And the D700 can support all the types of shooting I want to do with it. To get that in Canon, I'd have to buy a 1D series camera, and even then I'd miss out on the sweet high ISO performance.

SLC

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
A few observations on the D700, not in any particular order.

I bought a D700 in January. It replaced a D2X that I had been using for 4 years. The D2X body was physically larger than I liked toting around, and photo quality degraded quickly at ISO settings greater than 400. I decided it was time to upgrade the D2X.

I have shot around 10,000 photos with the D700 so far. Most of those have been at several auto racing events and one road bicycle race. The rest are kind of miscellaneous. The speed of the camera has been more than acceptable for these racing events. I shoot 12 bit raw files for these events and use UDMA cards, and the camera reliably supports a consistent 5fps continuous speed without overloading the buffer. Refer to the gear list link in my signature for my lenses and other equipment.

The D700 is a combination of the D300 body with the D3 imaging components and a D700 specific viewfinder. AF fine tuning supports 12 lenses and this number has not been a limitation for me. I use LensAlign Pro to calibrate focus.

Rumors have a D700X coming earlier than November. It will be a companion to the D700, just as the D3 and D3X currently coexist. The more reliable rumors have its price well above that of the 5DMkII. I am intrigued by the D700X but I doubt it will be able to move data around quickly enough to support my primary use of a camera. I am not feeling constrained by a 12 mpx sensor, and people have been pleased with 16x20 prints they have ordered from me. My lenses range from 14mm to 600mm (300 f2.8 with teleconverters) so I have little need to crop a photo to overcome lens inadequacies for the subjects I normally shoot.

Higher resolution images will tax the data storage capacity I have available and I doubt my nearly 3 year old MBP could cope with them well at all. My 8 core Nehalem Mac Pro should continue to be unfazed by most anything I am likely to throw at it in the next few years.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Ah alrite, well it will be better if Nikon introduces FX f/4 glasses as step up lenses, cause f/2.8 is way way expensive to make the transition from DX to FX.

Hmm, how many types does the D300 allows then?

Nikon's 300/4 is good and if you can't afford a good 70-200, then the older 80-200s work very well. The thistle grab shot I posted on the potd thread was taken with the 80-200mm on a D3x.

Question: compuwar, how big are the D3x files right out of the camera, and how big are they saved to, say, Tiff or as uncompressed files?

I've heard they're enormous. That's another factor to consider, because a computer that's short on horsepower probably can't handle such large files on a regular basis.

The NEF for the thistle is 26.4M, and after RPP, the TIFF is 140.3M. I'm shooting in 14-bit mode, not 12-bit mode at max res. RPP really seems to be perfectly fine on my MacPro (Single quad core, lowest speed) and PS opens the TIFFs quickly too.

If I was photographing birds like Compuwar and could afford the D3x and it had the same AF system that the D700/D3 have I'd be buying it without even thinking. The croppability

The money was difficult- I was seriously looking at the D300/D3 or D300/D700 combo for about a month- but then I really thought about it and it actually was an easier choice than I'd made it out to be. Bald Eagles wanted me to be able to crop!

I'd obviously get a lot of use from a D3 in all these situations but I didn't like the feel of the D3's built in grip.

I had to factor the grips into the choice for two reasons:

1- the high-voltage EN-EL4/4a batteries are a *big* difference in AF speed on older lenses.

2- I shoot vertical a *lot*- probably 90% of the time, and that shutter button gets used the most.

For me it's a no brainer. I don't crop that heavily at all, usually just to bring an image to a standard print size. And the D700 can support all the types of shooting I want to do with it. QUOTE]

The truth is that there are *no* bad solutions, only good and gooder ones! Though I'm glad you've come over to the dark side! I'd really like to get some nano-coated lenses for landscapes, as the flare resistance is very effective.

It's funny, even 6 or 7 years ago we'd have had to pay $30,000+ for the IQ and had nowhere near the flexibility of the worst of today's Pro and Prosumer DSLRs. Ever since about the D70s timeframe there hasn't been a bad choice for most shooting in the DSLR lineup- and we photographers obsess over details that folks who view our pictures don't even understand, let alone really see.

I hope I'm done buying camera bodies for a few years- the fact is that there's often more difference in raw converter output than there is between the various manufacturers- but I'm really happy I got the D3x because just like the D2x, I have a camera body that demands skill to get good shots, but when you nail one, the results are simply astounding.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm really looking for an overall performer camera, so definitely handling and autofocus speed can be critical at times.
The latter would disqualify* the 5D and the 5D Mark II (which uses the same AF system as its predecessor). Unless you want to spend money on a EOS 1D Mark III, the D700 is your best bet. It uses the AF systems of the D3 and D3x.

* It's really difficult to give weight to these things.
I like the idea of larger pixels on the sensor as a rule, but will 12 mp become limiting in the near future for professional use? My style of shooting is to generally frame my shot in-camera rather than crop later, but any designers/photo editors I run into may just get a little crop crazy...
I find 10 MP plenty for what I do. That includes some 30x45 cm^2+ prints (the largest one was 80 cm wide, I think). That being said, I don't think I need more -- even for large format prints.
Also, I will be doing some personal projects (b/w environmental portraiture, landscape, etc.) but... most of my projects will fall into the photojournalism category - multi-photo series/features on various subjects, minimal (but possible) spot news, and travel/tourism subjects (people, activities and places.) I want to create a brand new body of work - call it the second era of my photographic life.
That sounds like speed may be an issue.
On the Nikon side - the 14-24 f/2.8 lens has gotten some great reviews, and I've been eyeballing it a lot.
This lens is even better than the 14 mm prime and each and every review I've seen was saying that this is probably the best UW lens on the market.
It's a lot to contemplate, but I'd like to get the best glass overall, regardless of whether it's Canon or Nikon.
That's not a question you can answer definitively one way or the other. Each manufacturer has lenses that are unique or better than the counterpart of the other company. Examples that spring to mind are Nikon's 14-24 mm zoom and Canon's 70-200 mm f/4 telephoto zoom. If you want us recommending good lenses, how about giving us a budget. Weight also may be an issue (Nikon's much acclaimed 200 mm f/2 prime costs a fortune and weighs a ton.)

Overall, if you want to square a circle forget about it: there is no 24 MP Nikon D700x (yet?) for $2k or a 5D Mark II with a modern AF system. Both are excellent cameras from companies that offer superb lenses. Only one thing is sure: you'll spend a lot of money :D

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The money was difficult- I was seriously looking at the D300/D3 or D300/D700 combo for about a month- but then I really thought about it and it actually was an easier choice than I'd made it out to be. Bald Eagles wanted me to be able to crop!
Haha, that's a good one ;)

Yup, as I mentioned earlier, I felt the D700 as more of an all round capable camera :D

Nikon's 300/4 is good and if you can't afford a good 70-200, then the older 80-200s work very well. The thistle grab shot I posted on the potd thread was taken with the 80-200mm on a D3x.
Yup, you got that right about the 80-200, problem is like I mentioned earlier, there isn't much choice for Nikon step up FX glasses. The 80-200 is a great one though.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
If MP count is influencing your decision, look at the maximum size you will need to print to with cropping. You can do a whole lot with 12 MP. Try out various things on your computer with PS and a massive printer, if you have one. 10 MP allows you to print people larger than life size at high quality. I've done it. I think a less noisy image is actually more conducive to high quality large prints than just a high megapixel count.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I have a 5D mk II, and I've never had a problem with it's auto focus abilities. It seems more accurate and at least as fast as my 40D was.

I hate that the cost of the 5DII went up since launch, though I did pre order it.

Here is an amazon price comparison for the different systems based on the lenses the poster mentioned.

Attachments

• Picture 37.png
    Picture 37.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Picture 38.png
    Picture 38.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 97

maeman

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
I have a 5D mk II, and I've never had a problem with it's auto focus abilities. It seems more accurate and at least as fast as my 40D was.

I hate that the cost of the 5DII went up since launch, though I did pre order it.

Here is an amazon price comparison for the different systems based on the lenses the poster mentioned.
Uh, I don't think that's a quite accurate 5D Mark II body-only price... Amazon just stuck DBROTH as the default option and the option to buy straight from Amazon is on the right of the 5D Mark II body only's page.

I looked at Adorama and Best Buy, who were also selling for $2,700 (the CORRECT body-only price). For a while Best Buy was selling new bodies for $2,500.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I'm really looking for an overall performer camera, so definitely handling and autofocus speed can be critical at times.

handling for both is fine. AF on the 5D is fast and accurate with the center point, even in very low light. i imagine the D700 is the same. i don't have personal experience with outer points on newer Nikons, so i can't speak for that. 5D outer points are useless in low light unless there is clear contrast at the point you are focusing on.

I hadn't really given a lot of thought to high iso performance, but that also is a big factor for me. I used to push film often in my black and white film days - lots of times even f/2.8 can be a bit slow.

keep in mind that digital is much cleaner than film, although noise isn't quite as pleasant as grain. higher-end SLR noise generally looks more like grain.

My main gripe with digital so far has been the lack of low-light performace overall, and highlight clipping in contrasty situations.

not sure what you mean by "lack of low-light performance." highlight clipping has to do with dynamic range, and you'll have the same issues unless you get a camera with 9 stops of DR, not including highlight/shadow recovery (which boosts the DR by a stop or so in the highlights). according to DPReview, the only SLR i know of with that kind of range is the 40D. outside of that, you need MF, or live with the blown highlights and just recover them in post-processing.

Also, I will be doing some personal projects (b/w environmental portraiture, landscape, etc.) but... most of my projects will fall into the photojournalism category - multi-photo series/features on various subjects, minimal (but possible) spot news, and travel/tourism subjects (people, activities and places.)

based on that, i don't believe the 5D AF will hold you back. and for the record, the 5DII's AF is not exactly the same as the original 5D. it's a little bit faster, at the very least, with the center point. what is the same is the poor outer AF points, which aren't cross-type like...all the other SLRs Canon sells now :confused:

On the Nikon side - the 14-24 f/2.8 lens has gotten some great reviews, and I've been eyeballing it a lot. I guess what I'm wondering is how important it is to be as wide as 14mm when going FX? Is it too wide for a general walkaround wide-angle. One thing is the 14-24 doesn't overlap the 24-70 but I'm not sure if that matters that much with the 17-35 - it might stay on the camera longer.

first, remember the 14-24 is huge and hugely expensive. as for how "important" 14mm is, it's not any more or less important than any other focal length. it depends on your shooting style, so only you can answer that question.

overlap shouldn't be an issue. if anything, it's a good thing, since you won't have to switch lenses as often (unless you rarely use 24mm)

and on the Canon side, there's a 14mm prime, which, according to its users, is sharper in the corners than the 14-24 is in the center (at 14mm).

On the Canon side - the 24-105 f/2.8L looks like a real handy lens - a great overall range for general use. And the 70-200 f/2.8 is a classic 35mm format lens, where I've read the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 was better suited to DX sensors and a bit soft on the edges with the FX format.

there's only a 24-105 f/4. if you want f/2.8, it has to be a 24-70.

on Nikon lenses and DX vs FX sensors: for a long time, Nikon intended to stay with DX (APS-C) sensors. as a result, some of their lenses were optimized for cropped sensors, and work the best on DX cameras. Canon, meanwhile, always designed its lenses with 35mm sensors in mind, so they can be a bit lackluster on APS-C, but "come alive" on 35mm. BUT, that doesn't mean the Nikon 70-200 isn't close the Canon in IQ.

It's a lot to contemplate, but I'd like to get the best glass overall, regardless of whether it's Canon or Nikon.

in that case, you'll have to pick out all your lenses before you buy anything. i wouldn't bother, unless one company doesn't have a good lens at a focal length (range) you want.

One last question to post to you guys/gals: What are the gems lenswise in both Nikon and Canon's lineups, either new or classic lenses between 24mm and 200mm - primes and zooms.

for Canon, the best lenses are the L primes. all the "L" lenses are great, though. the top-notch primes for their focal lengths are:
14/2.8 II
24/1.4 II
85/1.2 ("legend" status)
135/2 (ditto)
200/2 (also the sharpest lens Canon makes)

for zooms:
17-40/4 (for the price)
70-200/4 IS (closest you'll ever get to fixed-focal IQ in a zoom)

The shooting flexibility you'd get from the ISO performance of the D700 way outstrips the cropping flexibility you'd get from a 21 mp sensor.

the difference in noise handling between the two is close enough that it doesn't matter.

Not to mention the vastly superior focusing system of the Nikon.

the Nikon is only "vastly superior" at tracking, particularly when not using the center point(s).

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
If you want us recommending good lenses, how about giving us a budget. Weight also may be an issue (Nikon's much acclaimed 200 mm f/2 prime costs a fortune and weighs a ton.)

Overall, if you want to square a circle forget about it: there is no 24 MP Nikon D700x (yet?) for $2k or a 5D Mark II with a modern AF system. Both are excellent cameras from companies that offer superb lenses. Only one thing is sure: you'll spend a lot of money :D
Thanks... the budget I'd like to stick within would be $7.5k-8k USD. If I can consider some older glass (Nikkor 80-200 ex.) to fill in some gaps and maybe even consider a factory refurb body ($2099) or maybe even a used body, I'd take a look at that idea. I may want to add some software...but let's not consider that part of the budget. Accessories like remote releases, CF cards, a decent bag/backpack and a good flash unit are part of the budget. I already have a good tripod.

Weight is of course a factor...somewhat. But I realize that fast lenses aren't going to be light and little. I'm also interested in non-L type (or Nikon equivalent) lenses that are particularly good image producers, maybe prime lenses from the past that could also deliver professional results. As I mentioned, I used to work with a Canon 20-35L, and also picked up a 20-35AF (non-L) which was much smaller and lighter. On the wide end (20mm) where I mainly used it (urban street,) I only gave up 1 stop and this particular lens was nearly as sharp wide open on the wide end as the L, and at that wide of an angle the difference in sharpness was almost impossible to detect under normal circumstances. In that case, I could have actually given up the L lens as a trade off for weight. I'm not as sure that would be the case with longer lenses... but the point is, I'd consider lenses that can work if I need to compromise a little. But I don't want to sacrifice 'obvious, image quality.

I realize I may have to pick up some gear later on as the future budget allows, so that's what I'm trying to work with for now. Thanks for bringing up an important consideration...

BTW: Thanks to everyone for some great feedback. This has turned out to be a very interesting discussion. Also, I realize I made a mistake about the Canon 24-105... guess I was not reading too closely... oops.

What I really want is to hit the lottery jackpot...! ;)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Uh, I don't think that's a quite accurate 5D Mark II body-only price... Amazon just stuck DBROTH as the default option and the option to buy straight from Amazon is on the right of the 5D Mark II body only's page.

I looked at Adorama and Best Buy, who were also selling for $2,700 (the CORRECT body-only price). For a while Best Buy was selling new bodies for $2,500.

I had no idea Amazon was price fixing it so badly. Thank you, Adorama has it for $2700 ish, which brings the Canon kit down to 7k approximately.

As far as super wide angle lenses go, I have a Sigma 12-24mm that is pretty good. It isn't super sharp in the corners wide open at 12mm, but the coverage cannot be beaten. It gets worse towards 24mm in contrast, but thats when I would put a 24-70L on anyway. ;)

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I had no idea Amazon was price fixing it so badly. Thank you, Adorama has it for $2700 ish, which brings the Canon kit down to 7k approximately.
It's not quite Amazon's fault... I think they sell the default purchase space to vendors, and the vendors are free to charge ridiculous prices as they so choose. At least Amazon still lets you buy straight from them with no price-hiked, unknown vendor to speak of. :eek:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Some other factors to consider: The 5D Mark II requires the latest version of your editing program, be it CS4 or Lightroom 2. Older versions can't read its files.

Nobody said the 5D was junk, as it is definitely a great camera.

I wouldn't get a 1Ds Mark III right now, because the IV is going to be out sometime this year, and then it can be had for less on the used market.

I highly doubt the 1DSMkIV will be out this year, or even next year. The high end line usually has a 28-36 month life cycle. I certainly wouldn't buy new, however.

The original 1DS was released in like 8/02. MKII was released in 1/04, the MKIII was released in 8/07. The 5D has about the same life cycle, thus far. Original came out in 9/05 (somewhere in there) and the MKII came out 11/08 (within a month or so).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks... the budget I'd like to stick within would be $7.5k-8k USD. If I can consider some older glass (Nikkor 80-200 ex.) to fill in some gaps and maybe even consider a factory refurb body ($2099) or maybe even a used body, I'd take a look at that idea. I may want to add some software...but let's not consider that part of the budget. Accessories like remote releases, CF cards, a decent bag/backpack and a good flash unit are part of the budget. I already have a good tripod.

Nikon 20-35 AF-D KEH Ex $919 (Holy cow, they've gone up!)
Nikon 80-200 ED KEH Ex $499 (You can pay more, but why?)
Nikon 24-70 new $1800
Nikon D700 KEH LN- $2299

That'd leave enough for a backpack, flash, CF cards, etc.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Nikon 20-35 AF-D KEH Ex $919 (Holy cow, they've gone up!)
Nikon 80-200 ED KEH Ex $499 (You can pay more, but why?)
Nikon 24-70 new $1800
Nikon D700 KEH LN- $2299

That'd leave enough for a backpack, flash, CF cards, etc.

For $50 more, you can get a new D700 from B&H with free shipping.

I also don't know that I'd buy a 24-70 if I had to do it again since I tend to use it mostly at either 24mm or 70mm. My 14-24 is better at 24, and my 80-200 AF-S is close enough to 70 and I've usually got it in the bag with me.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
A comparison of field of view and color/contrast between the Sigma 12-24mm@12mm and Canon 24-105mmL@24mm both at f/8.

The orange is where I made 100% comparisons on the corners/edge. The teal is where I took a slice and scaled it so it was the same approximate size to guess where in the sky the border should be.

They are not framed the same, so there is a pretty big change in perspective.
These are straight from the camera RAW, default lightroom imports, nothing was done to make their color reproduction more similar. No sharpness was applied beyond the meager lightroom default sharpness.

EDIT: It should be pointed out that at 12mm, there is more stuff in view than could be captured with three vertically aligned shots stitched together from the 24mm.

Attachments

• BrowserPreview.jpg
    BrowserPreview.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 74
  • BrowserPreview-1.jpg
    BrowserPreview-1.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 85

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
As the subject says, I think it's time to get serious again, so I'm strongly considering returning to the full-frame format.Thanks in advance...:)

I recently purchased a Nikon D60 and let me tell you its an amazing camera. Highly recommended.

LOL...

How about the Canon 50D??? :eek:

Seriously, the pics from all the FF dSLR's I've seen are stunning. You need great glass for that type of resolution.

Of course, I'm probably "Preaching to the Choir"... :D

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Nikon gems -- I've had Nikon glass since the 60s, but two that I have now are spectacular:

85 f/1.4 -- amazing lens, in every way

14-24 f/2.8 zoom -- no trace of pincushion/barrel distortion, sharp.

Both lenses are heavy, and you have to be careful with the 14-24's front element.

But oh man, they are fine lenses.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
It's not a `problem' per se, it's just that the D700 includes a pro-grade AF system and is a lot, lot quicker (up to 8 fps, that's as fast as previous-gen pro-grade Nikons and Canons).

Again, it's not a problem per se, but it's clear that the two cameras have very distinct strengths and advantages. Why Canon hasn't upgraded the AF module in the 5D Mark II is beyond me, though.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
It's not a `problem' per se, it's just that the D700 includes a pro-grade AF system and is a lot, lot quicker (up to 8 fps, that's as fast as previous-gen pro-grade Nikons and Canons).

Again, it's not a problem per se, but it's clear that the two cameras have very distinct strengths and advantages. Why Canon hasn't upgraded the AF module in the 5D Mark II is beyond me, though.

Maybe because the non-pro one is good enough. Thats what I meant by I haven't had a problem.

Of course it shoots at a faster FPS, the 5DII has almost twice as many pixels.

All I'm saying is, nobody says MBPs don't have pro memory because they aren't FBDIMMs, and they don't have 4 slots. :p
The autofocus in the 5DII is quick and accurate. It isn't less quick and less accurate because it doesn't have the 1DIII's number of points and supposed speed.

Listening to manufacturers Hype surrounding focusing systems or megapixels is still just listening to hype.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"It's not a `problem' per se, it's just that the D700 includes a pro-grade AF system and is a lot, lot quicker (up to 8 fps, that's as fast as previous-gen pro-grade Nikons and Canons)."

My 40D shoots almost 7fps. What's the point? Speed isn't necessarily the focus (pardon the pun) of purchasing a camera. Also, I believe the Canon is still a "Pro-Grade" AF system. It's worked excellent for me...I shoot center point most of the time though.

"Again, it's not a problem per se, but it's clear that the two cameras have very distinct strengths and advantages. Why Canon hasn't upgraded the AF module in the 5D Mark II is beyond me, though."

But the have Oreo. The 5D2 has a marked improvement over the classic 5D AF system. This has been mentioned numerous times. Not sure why so many believe it hasn't been updated?:confused:

I was in the same position a year ago. Came from the same line of thought as I was only shooting the XXD APS-C Canon line. Minimal expense in lenses, 28-135 and 70-300IS lenses and a 50mm Sigma....so bouncing to Nikon was definitely a possibility. In the end, the 5D2 won out for me. I don't know if anyone read the article earlier that was posted on the 5D2 compared (IQ wise) to the D3x. Very compelling....and if you did read it, did you not feel that the IQ of the 5D was markedly better than the D3x? I sure did....and I think the author did too, at least the unprocessed RAW files. I think the folks making blanket ISO, IQ, and AF statements are a bit misleading.

For the OP, if you have the opportunity to rent one of each, do it. I think ultimately this is a Ford/Chevy argument and will only come down to your preferance in ergonomics. 99.9% of my shooting is done at ISO 3200 and below....and I live in Alaska, where it's dark half the year:) I can shoot 6400 with negligible, if any loss of rez in the real world. I understand the Nikons are the ISO king, just can't see how it can get any better (again, in real world shooting) than the 5D2 has done for me.

Lens costs seem pretty close in cost. L glass from Canon is spendy but phenomenal. I would also mention (as one of the gems) the 200L II f/2.8. Picked up in perfect condition for around 5-600 on ebay or new for around 800. A great candid street lens/baseball park lens. I love my 70-200/2.8IS and the kit lens (24-105L f/4) is a bargain IF you buy in the kit (about 400 bucks off). Also, well respected rumors are out that a new lens lineup (or update) to Canon's gear is coming soon. We are now, with these two dozen MP cams, approaching the resolution limits of the glass. I think this will be the case with both cameras....the D3/D700 or 5D2...flaws in glass are going to be apparent.

Again, I believe this is a Ford vs. Chevy or BMW vs. Mercedes argument. Both are EXCELLENT cameras. The differences are minimal, especially the ISO performance...just seems to be over exaggerated. I will give the Nikon's AF system the nod, but the Rez nod goes to Canon. And, I have never been let down by the AF system in the 5D....even in dark and dimly lit weddings.

Good Luck,

J

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Maybe because the non-pro one is good enough. Thats what I meant by I haven't had a problem.

Of course it shoots at a faster FPS, the 5DII has almost twice as many pixels.

All I'm saying is, nobody says MBPs don't have pro memory because they aren't FBDIMMs, and they don't have 4 slots. :p
The autofocus in the 5DII is quick and accurate. It isn't less quick and less accurate because it doesn't have the 1DIII's number of points and supposed speed.

Listening to manufacturers Hype surrounding focusing systems or megapixels is still just listening to hype.

The 5D II's autofocus system is its most criticized component, and that's from Canon people. They left it mostly intact from the original 5D because they didn't want it to cannibalize sales from the 1Ds Mark III. Yes, there were minor improvements, but its iffy at best with fast action and tracking multiple subjects in motion.

In the end, the 5D2 won out for me. I don't know if anyone read the article earlier that was posted on the 5D2 compared (IQ wise) to the D3x. Very compelling....and if you did read it, did you not feel that the IQ of the 5D was markedly better than the D3x? I sure did....and I think the author did too, at least the unprocessed RAW files

Nonsense. The 5D II isn't up to par with the D3x, nor should it be. I read a good comparison between the two, and the D3x comes out on top.

Read: http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/PushingTheBlacks/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.