Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
For mechanically inclined people it is not a big deal I agree, but for someone that is not mechanically inclined it would be a large undertaking. My question, does upgrading the ram void your warranty considering the complexity of the procedure?
For someone like me who has Parkinson's, an impossible task.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
If "logic board needs to be completely removed" means sliding out the mobo like you needed to on a 2012 2nd HDD access, then it can be tedious since there are some amount of alignment needed when you put it back together.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
If "logic board needs to be completely removed" means sliding out the mobo like you needed to on a 2012 2nd HDD access, then it can be tedious since there are some amount of alignment needed when you put it back together.

Indeed. Call me queasy but disassembling the 2012 to slide in an SSD wasn't a particularly pleasant experience. Afterwards I often toyed with the idea to install a second drive but shuddered at the thought of opening that machine up again. ;)
And I did assemble my own PCs from parts back in the day - that's much easier in comparison.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

marc_b

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Cologne, Germany
Just out of curiosity: What's difficult about sliding the logicboard out and back in? "Alignment"?

Genuine question, it sounds straight-forward to me.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Just out of curiosity: What's difficult about sliding the logicboard out and back in? "Alignment"?

Genuine question, it sounds straight-forward to me.
Inside the 2012, there are screw holes that need to perfectly align since they go through the top WiFi antenna plate, down to the SATA bracket, then towards the mobo at the bottom, a total of 3 layers. If you don't line those up you can't screw them back in place. The room inside the chassis are tight fit, and some soft cables were tugged at angles to be shoved, so if it is the first time a person taking a mini apart, the step of putting the mobo inside can mean lots of trial and error, particularly if what you do is to add a 2nd SATA drive + bracket which means you are adding lots of stuff internally, which could have been empty room for cables to go around out of factory.

I am optimistic this time though, since we no longer have SATA bays to worry about, and judging from photos it seems lots of bottom volume are occupied by the fan chamber, once removed it probably means only a rather thin mobo needs to be slided out.

XIW1QpyHMwWIqRNS.medium.jpeg

fTgiLowRdkdLPeeB.medium.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
Inside the 2012, there are screw holes that need to perfectly align since they go through the top WiFi antenna plate, down to the SATA bracket, then towards the mobo at the bottom, a total of 3 layers. If you don't line those up you can't screw them back in place. The room inside the chassis are tight fit, and some soft cables were tugged at angles to be shoved, so if it is the first time a person taking a mini apart, the step of putting the mobo inside can mean lots of trial and error, particularly if what you do is to add a 2nd SATA drive + bracket which means you are adding lots of stuff internally, which could have been empty room for cables to go around out of factory.

I am optimistic this time though, since we no longer have SATA bays to worry about, and judging from photos it seems lots of bottom volume are occupied by the fan chamber, once removed it probably means only a rather thin mobo needs to be slided out.

View attachment 801994
View attachment 801995
Internals in the 2018, starting from the top grille, look completely different to me. We might still have to slide the logic board out, but I doubt the 2012 is a good comparison model, so I am as optimistic as you that, once the fan enclosure is out, the sliding becomes easy.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
20 minutes for someone who is completing this project for the first time? Not a chance. This is a 1 hour project at the low end, and 2-3 at the high end.

How could this take 3 hours? Surely 1 hour maximum. Base, Wifi shield, fan, memory swap - then reassemble. If it takes longer then seriously don't work on hardware.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Same wordage for the original 2005-2009 Mac mini. Apple never recommended users opening up that thing either (but many did).

And that Mac mini was a TOTAL pain to open, and impossible to do without it being clear you’d done it (scrapes around the bottom).

While I expect this year’s model to be much easier to mess with, it’s clearly not a quick swap, which is a shame.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
If it is really this complicated, I am out. You guys seem so confident to take out the entire logic board to swap RAM.

I have the skills but it’s still a risk. I’m starting to wonder how much it costs for a walk in install. I mean if you can bring your own chips, are saving $600 and it’s $50 + lunch in the foodcourt, the food sounds like more trouble/risk to me.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Apple refuses to work on Mac that doesn’t have original components.

What you say cannot be Apple policy because that is expressly forbidden in the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, section 102(c). I think people are misinterpreting some of the following possibilities:
  • Some random Apple tech said that, but the technician is wrong
  • Apple can refuse to work on the third party parts
  • Apple can refuse to work on damage caused by the user during the upgrade
  • Apple can refuse to work on damage that occurred as a direct result of the third party parts (but is required to prove the link to the FTC and obtain a waiver to the Act)
Furthermore, refusal has not been my personal experience. I took in a Mac Pro with an intermittently failing case fan. The Mac Pro had replaced RAM, a PC gaming video card flashed with a hacked ROM to work in Macs, and an upgraded CPU (a CPU model that was never offered by Apple). But the Genius Bar serviced this, as they are legally required to, because a case fan motor failure has nothing to do with those other things.

Reactions: archer75

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Inside the 2012, there are screw holes that need to perfectly align since they go through the top WiFi antenna plate

Just to be clear.... none of that was necessary to upgrade the RAM in the 2012 Mini. That merely involved twisting off the bottom and plugging in the chips. Apple designed the 2010-2012 Mini's to be user-upgradeable and has illustrated instructions on their site.

That certainly doesn't seem to be the case with the 2018 Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.