Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I feel many people don't seem to understand that the upcoming 2019 iPhones, despite the names, are actually S year phones. The iPhone X was a preview and the XS, XS Max and the XR were the full edge to edge product line. I feel as if people shouldn't be getting as upset as they are that the 2019 iPhones aren't groundbreaking phones. Thoughts?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think it's somewhat immaterial, but you're sort of right. iPhone X was considered the next gen iPhone a year early.

I wouldn't get too tied up in that sort of thing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I feel many people don't seem to understand that the upcoming 2019 iPhones, despite the names, are actually S year phones. The iPhone X was a preview and the XS, XS Max and the XR were the full edge to edge product line. I feel as if people shouldn't be getting as upset as they are that the 2019 iPhones aren't groundbreaking phones. Thoughts?

“S” year of not, we are about to see this site/forum turned upside down with crazy silliness!

Happens every year.

Last edited:

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I think it's somewhat immaterial, but you're sort of right. iPhone X was considered the next gen iPhone a year early.

I wouldn't get too tied up in that sort of thing.
I think Apple knew that by releasing the 7S (the iPhone 8 as we know it) in 2017 and then jumping to three phones with no home buttons in 2018, would polarize people. Some people didn't want anything to do with the X and then they would have to buy an old iPhone not the new shiny 8 released along side the X

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering we had the 6, 6s, 7 and 8 all with broadly the same chassis design, I don’t think anybody was really anticipating that this year would bring any major revisions.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
“S” year of not we are about to see this site/forum turned upside down with crazy silliness!

Happens every year.

Remember when apple removed the head phone jack or revealed the price of the phone x.... some went absolutely .

Fun times.

Considering we had the 6, 6s, 7 and 8 all with broadly the same chassis design, I don’t think anybody was really anticipating that this year would bring any major revisions.

No real reason for them to. Apple nailed the design of the stainless steel X/Xs/Xs Max
ac2537bfd3e32abc8dbfef6dbbfba031.jpg

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Yeah I was about to post saying yo this isn't a 'S' year that was last year, but I guess you're right - the X was a kind of preview to what has now become the 'regular' iPhone, even though at the time it was introduced as an extra premium item with an anniversary slant, and managed to have the feel of a one-off product.

In any case though I think even if there are no huge "wow" factors with the new iPhones themselves, iOS 13 and iPad OS are bringing so many big improvements that I think people won't whine as much as they used to do for 'S' releases.

Personally I'm looking forward to finally getting myself an iPad Pro 11 because the improvements that are coming make it just irresistible (bonus if they announce new gen Pros and the price drops...), and then hopefully I have enough cash left over to buy a pristine used X since the iPad will offload my need for a phablet size iPhone (I'm currently on a 7 Plus). Surely the iPhone 11 will be great but I think the X will be enough for getting into that iOS 13 experience.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I understand what the OP is saying, but does it really matter?
I think Apple knew that by releasing the 7S (the iPhone 8 as we know it) in 2017
You could just think of the iPhone 7 and 8 the iPhone 6s^2 and 6s^3, respectively.

3 year form factor cycles are seemingly here to stay, making the term 'S year' outdated and no longer relevant
Or four year form factor

Remember when apple removed the head phone jack or revealed the price of the phone x....
This is still often talked about.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
In any case though I think even if there are no huge "wow" factors with the new iPhones themselves
I think you are on to something with the "wow" factors, or lack there of...

I think Apple spoiled us in the beginning with the 2-year form factor change with the 3G, 4, and 5.

Every year there was something big to look forward to, either a new design (3G, 4, 5), or new feature (3GS=Speed, 4s=Siri, 5s=Touch ID). These were reasons for people to wait in crazy lines to get their hands on one.

Starting with the 7 basically being a spec bump and camera improvements, this cycle was broken. An argument could be made that the cycle was broken with the 6s, since the biggest featuring was the lackluster 3D Touch.

That is why I disagree with the OP saying that this is the real "S" cycle because that cycle broke a few models back.

Of course, Apple will most likely sell a huge amount of the 2019 iPhones, but the "wow" factor of the iPhones are gone, imo.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Remember when apple removed the head phone jack or revealed the price of the phone x.... some went absolutely .

Fun times.

No real reason for them to. Apple nailed the design of the stainless steel X/Xs/Xs Max
ac2537bfd3e32abc8dbfef6dbbfba031.jpg
Those camera bumps are huge in that photo, they look like the iPhone has a baby iPhone that it keeps with it in a pouch at all times.

Maybe they should work on that bump before claiming perfection.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Those camera bumps are huge in that photo, they look like the iPhone has a baby iPhone that is keeps with it in a pouch at all times.

Maybe they should work on that bump before claiming perfection.

I actually like the design of the camera bump especially when looking at the phone in profile.
Without it, it would look rather plain. One of the reasons I don’t use a case with my iPhone XS Max.

Had the original iPhone through the iPhone 4, flat back got boring quickly.

I really liked the horizontal camera bump on iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus as well.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I actually like the design of the camera bump especially when looking at the phone in profile.
Without it, it would look rather plain. One of the reasons I don’t use a case with my iPhone XS Max.

Had the original iPhone through the iPhone 4, flat back got boring quickly.

I really liked the horizontal camera bump on iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus as well.
I guess we all like what we all like, I won't knock you for it. I personally like functionality, symmetry, and simplicity in design.

But aesthetics aside, I didn't like the camera bump in my 6s Plus do to the side to side rocking the phone would making when using it while it is sitting flat on a table. It may not be as bad on a smaller phone, but on the plus size, it was really annoying, and the opposite corner from the camera would have wear marks from the rocking.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I guess we all like what we all like, I won't knock you for it. I personally like functionality, symmetry, and simplicity in design.

But aesthetics aside, I didn't like the camera bump in my 6s Plus do to the side to side rocking the phone would making when using it while it is sitting flat on a table. It may not be as bad on a smaller phone, but on the plus size, it was really annoying, and the opposite corner from the camera would have wear marks from the rocking.

Don’t need to sell me on symmetry or functionality in relation to design. Been a Big Bang & Olufsen fan Since the 90s.

I didn’t like the camera bump on the 6 or 6s either. But I appreciated it for having a thin frame.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
“S” year of not, we are about to see this site/forum turned upside down with crazy silliness!

Happens every year.
I haven’t seen a huge buzz around new iPhones for about 3 years on here now. There’s plenty of people posting about the new phones, but there’s plenty not in equal measure which is different from the first few years I was a member here.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I haven’t seen a huge buzz around new iPhones for about 3 years on here now. There’s plenty of people posting about the new phones, but there’s plenty not in equal measure which is different from the first few years I was a member here.

I seemed to remember it was more civil and mature but very excited over the new devices.

Maybe I am getting older but have been through too many of these to get crazy anymore.

This too will pass!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I seemed to remember it was more civil and mature but very excited over the new devices.

Maybe I am getting older but have been through too many of these to get crazy anymore.

This too will pass!
I think the difference too is when I joined here there was only one iPhone being released each year. There is no longer ‘the new iPhone’ but a larger range. It’s not just here though but from personal experience too that the hype has gone for me. It used to be the case you’d know loads of people rushing out the get the latest iPhone and it would be a talking point around the office or among friends. Those days appear to have gone. Phones have become standard everyday items where the capabilities are known and change very little each year, hence why very few seem to get excited over them anymore.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.