Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
puckhead193 said:
nope. I read a thread on here about that happening. What causes it/what does it mean? So far my camera is taking great pictures! (knock on wood)

It can be caused by anything or nothing. That's what's so scary about it. I had a car wreck where my camera as tossed around, but it worked for 4 days afterward (I used it every day), on the 5th day I got the System Error 2, and it won't take more than one shot before locking up, forcing a reboot. Effectively kills the camera, as Nikon won't fix it (for cheap, at least). And if they do, it'll probably happen again (I've heard of people sending in the same camera 4 times for this issue). Good luck, I loved that camera when it worked; it was awesome. But I don't trust Nikon anymore.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
seenew said:
It can be caused by anything or nothing. That's what's so scary about it. I had a car wreck where my camera as tossed around, but it worked for 4 days afterward (I used it every day), on the 5th day I got the System Error 2, and it won't take more than one shot before locking up, forcing a reboot. Effectively kills the camera, as Nikon won't fix it (for cheap, at least). And if they do, it'll probably happen again (I've heard of people sending in the same camera 4 times for this issue). Good luck, I loved that camera when it worked; it was awesome. But I don't trust Nikon anymore.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
If that happens to my camera i don't know what i would do. I'm not just gonna "throw out" an expensive camera that i only had for a year. Nikon hasn't said anything about this or done anything? What do they expect everyone to go out and get new a camers every year.
How long had you had yours until it started to lock up? What did you do about it?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Abstract said:
It never made sense to me that these were grey market goods. Grey market from where? Cameras are cheaper in the US than they are anywhere. I mean, if I go to HK or Oz, and I'm looking for a grey market product, many of the grey market goods is from the US. And even in a market like HK, where everything legit is still cheap, DSLRs are only as cheap as the US DSLR prices.

Or am I missing something?

Look at a company that sells BOTH grey Market and USA. B&H will give you thr choise. Look up the D50 on their site and you will see both with Grey being slightly lower priced. The differance is simple. the "grey" camera have by-passed one "middle man". That would be Nikon USA. They take a small markup to pay to warenty work and advertizing in the US.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
seenew said:
. Effectively kills the camera, as Nikon won't fix it (for cheap, at least). And if they do, it'll probably happen again (I've heard of people sending in the same camera 4 times for this issue). Good luck, I loved that camera when it worked; it was awesome. But I don't trust Nikon anymore.

I suspect that the reason Nikon isn't interested in repairing the CP 8800 is that they are far more intent on the DSLR market at this point. In fact, it has been speculated that the CP 8800 was a kind of experiment (especially with that wonderful VR lens) and right from the get-go a camera more-or-less designed to lead people on into a DSLR.....

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Price vs Service

I have been a "serious" amateur photographer for many years and I have always dealt with local photo stores for my equipment. I have one in particular that I really like. I get solid advice, courteous service and a fair price. I have even traded in cameras with them when I upgraded and purchased used equipment from them. I have used Nikon since my first Nikormat through an F-5 and now I am on my third DSLR. Two years ago I was looking at a D-100 and "my" sales guy told me that the then new D-70 was a better camera for a whole lot less money. When I ordered my new D2xs last week, they knocked $200 off the price and offered me $500 for my D-70 body! I do know if I could have gotten a better deal off the web, but I am happy with what I paid and I know that if I ever have a problem, they will take care of me.
On grey market products, most of the high end imports have no warranty here in the US if they are grey market. Mont Blanc will not service grey market pens and Rolex will not honour the warranty on Rolexes purchased through the grey market either. I have friends who bought grey market Rolexes and found out the hard way that Rolex USA DOES NOT like them. A routine clean and oil took three months because the watch ahd to be sent to Switzerland for the work to be done instead of being handled through the Houston or New York center.
SOmetimes shopping on price alone is not the best way to shop. Service after the sale is very important too.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
There once was a great photo store for "mail order" cameras, etc... that was a local bricks 'n mortar store right here in downtown Portland, OR. called Camera World. I bought several cameras/lenses from them mailorder in the past, and more items directly in their store. They used to have pro Canon lenses for rent also. When the dot.com era arrived, they jumped into online sales in a big way, and spent millions of dollars establishing their up-till-then very successful mailorder side as an online retailer. They even changed their company name from Camera World to Cameraword.com. A very ethical and straight up company, but unfortunately they spent too much becoming an online company and went broke. There was a time in the late 90s when they were hiring web developers like crazy, and paying huge salaries. Kind of a shame, because their core business, photography retailing/service, was a well established, local, single store entity, yet it all went down the drain in the dot.com bubble. Since then, the remnants and the name were sold and passed on to several other larger companies. Now, Cameraworld still exists, but is owned completely by Ritz Camera, and both websites look virtually the same (cameraworld.com and ritzcamera.com.) I can't say how good an online retailer they are now, but have no reason to think they are anything but honest, yet I still long for the days when the only real choices for 'mail order' photography were B&H, Adorama and Camera World.

I have found that these days I prefer to research online, and buy locally, rather than the old style of researching locally (hands on) and buying mailorder. I'll spend a little more if I have to to avoid gray market issues, and get that extra level of service even after the sale, with the retailer AND the manufacturer both supporting my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.