Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes! I absolutely get that. I've spent too long in one place, doing the same job. Recently I took a coaching course for a sports hobby I've been into for years and that's made me want to move on with my life. I wanted to go travelling around America but I've put that on hold for a while now... so I'm going to travel a little closer to home just looking out for the next thing to grab me.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is a very interesting thread with a philosophical basis and prompts me to ask how many of us are truly happy with our lives? And how would we imagine what the ideal life would consist of or even the ideal existence? In the spectrum of human lives, I feel like I had a pretty good one. Note: had connotates being closer to the end than the beginning.

But now that I have the luxury of retiring, and have been retired for about 4 years, I honestly feel like I'm in a rut, my perspective has shifted from ongoing to observing the end approaching. Would I ever choose to go back to work as a method of distraction, I'm thinking no. I have enough income in retirement to live comfortably, but not extravantly, nor do I seek extravagance, nor do I want to be obligated to routine manual and boring labor, i.e., punching a clock to deal with humans. ;) I'm limited physically as compared to my youth, so I just don't see working at a typical retired type of job say Home Depot associate or Walmart greeter. ;)

ghost-adventures-804-myrtle-plantation-ss-002.rend.hgtvcom.966.544.jpeg

The Myrtles Plantation​

So although the wife and I do things to entertain ourselves (yesterday visited a reportedly haunted plantation- bed and breakfast in Louisiana and took a historical tour) I feel like I'm marking time and although I'm not fearful of the future, certain of mortal death, with my hope of something more to come after, I do wonder what was the point?

Keep in mind this sentiment is coming from someone who considers himself as having had it pretty good. I can imagine how dimly this reality might be viewed if you spent your life struggling for most of it.

Although this is not PRSI, I'll include:

The Purpose of Life
  • To experience and learn (to what end?)
  • To grow intellectually and philosophically (to what end?)
  • To carry experiences and life lessons forward
  • A quick trip to the Earth Simulator for a change of pace.
  • There is no purpose, ashes to ashes, a one time brief glimpse of existence, then back to oblivion.
  • We have absolutely no clue. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This is a very interesting thread with a philosophical basis and prompts me to ask how many of us are truly happy with our lives? And how would we imagine what the ideal life would consist of or even the ideal existence? In the spectrum of human lives, I feel like I had a pretty good one. Note: had connotates being closer to the end than the beginning.

But now that I have the luxury of retiring, and have been retired for about 4 years, I honestly feel like I'm in a rut, my perspective has shifted from ongoing to observing the end approaching. Would I ever choose to go back to work as a method of distraction, I'm thinking no. I have enough income in retirement to live comfortably, but not extravantly, nor do I seek extravagance, nor do I want to be obligated to routine manual and boring labor, i.e., punching a clock to deal with humans. ;) I'm limited physically as compared to my youth, so I just don't see working at a typical retired type of job say Home Depot associate or Walmart greeter. ;)

The Myrtles Plantation​

So although the wife and I do things to entertain ourselves (yesterday visited a reportedly haunted plantation- bed and breakfast in Louisiana and took a historical tour) I feel like I'm marking time and although I'm not fearful of the future, certain of mortal death, with my hope of something more to come after, I do wonder what was the point?

Keep in mind this sentiment is coming from someone who considers himself as having had it pretty good. I can imagine how dimly this reality might be viewed if you spent your life struggling for most of it.

The Purpose of Life
  • There is no purpose, ashes to ashes, a one time brief glimpse of existence, then back to oblivion.

Me and the wife also did the Myrtles Plantation tour. Thought it was pretty darn cool. The only bad thing, was the wife was eaten alive by mosquito's so a mad dash to the local pharmacy was in order.

This is a question I think we all at one point or another ask ourselves. I know I am asking it as I enter my 44th year on this planet. Something I feel I will continue to ask myself for a very long time.

Am I bored in my current profession. Yes. Do I have other things I want to do? Yup. Who knows if I will get to them or not.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Me and the wife also did the Myrtles Plantation tour. Thought it was pretty darn cool. The only bad thing, was the wife was eaten alive by mosquito's so a mad dash to the local pharmacy was in order.

This is a question I think we all at one point or another ask ourselves. I know I am asking it as I enter my 44th year on this planet. Something I feel I will continue to ask myself for a very long time.

Am I bored in my current profession. Yes. Do I have other things I want to do? Yup. Who knows if I will get to them or not.
Thank you for sharing. We spend our lives toiling to feed, cloth, and house ourselves, and maybe our families, hopefully with some fun thrown in, and then poof this phase is over. No clue of what is next.
[doublepost=1499786846][/doublepost]

Side note, the day after got back, Myrtles Plantation was featured in a repeat Ghost Adventures (TV Show). They experienced some things! :) ;)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Thank you for sharing. We spend our lives toiling to feed, cloth, and house ourselves, and maybe our families, hopefully with some fun thrown in, and then poof this phase is over. No clue of what is next.
[doublepost=1499786846][/doublepost]
Side note, the day after got back, Myrtles Plantation was featured in a repeat Ghost Adventures (TV Show). They experienced some things! :) ;)

We actually met the lady who did the tour on the GA tv show. The older, heavy set, african american lady. Took a picture with her and she was our actual tour guide! Yeah, we didn't see anything lol :);):eek:, but it was still pretty darn cool to experience.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

The Myrtles Plantation​

The Purpose of Life

Very interesting and thought-provoking post.

Re life, I have always wanted interesting, intellectually challenging work - work where I was afforded a great deal of professional autonomy; in addition, I always want to travel extensively, and see - and experience - new worlds, countries and cultures. And even from the time I was a teenager, one of my ambitions was to write history books, and be a published author of history books.

Moreover, I wanted "to give something back", which meant that I valued - and wished to work in - a professional world that was psychologically - or, dare one say it, spiritually - fulfilling as well as intellectually challenging and professionally rewarding.

When I was an academic, I hugely enjoyed teaching, but - candidly - enjoy what I am dong now a lot more.

Strange to relate, I seem to have achieved much of what I had dreamed of when I was a student.

Money is not my god, and nor - I now realise - are human relationships, possessions, or property.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Very interesting and thought-provoking post.

Re life, I have always wanted interesting, intellectually challenging work - work where I was afforded a great deal of professional autonomy; in addition, I always want to travel extensively, and see - and experience - new worlds, countries and cultures. And even from the time I was a teenager, one of my ambitions was to write history books, and be a published author of history books.

Moreover, I wanted "to give something back", which meant that I valued - and wished to work in - a professional world that was psychologically - or, dare one say it, spiritually - fulfilling as well as intellectually challenging and professionally rewarding.

When I was an academic, I hugely enjoyed teaching, but - candidly - enjoy what I am dong now a lot more.

Strange to relate, I seem to have achieved much of what I had dreamed of when I was a student.

Money is not my god, and nor - I now realise - are human relationships, possessions, or property.
Thanks for sharing! I've spent most of my professional life teaching which I enjoyed very much. That is probably not the giving back like being a psychologist or doctor, although the medical profession at least on the physician end seems to have shifted more to wealth accumulation. I also like helping family and acquaintances with home skills like fixing things, but my desire to go socialize which has never been great, has largely diminished as I've gotten older.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.