Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Haha, I have never heard about the term 'YouTube Influencers' before.
Nor have I encountered them on YT, lucky me.
But I might without knowing what they were, I immidiately block what isn't of interest for me, that pops up to save my time.

I do spend some time on YT and have a YT-subscription, but it's mostly about consciousness, meditation and information related to that, plus Women's football, sport and training etc. - that's it.

Reactions: spunkystrawberries

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68010
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
There are a lot of youtube channels I enjoy. For Movie reviews I like watching Jeremey Jahns and Dan Murrell. For Tech reviews I enjoy Gary from Macmost (More how to), Zollotech (Even though I don't have an Iphone anymore so I really don't watch him as much as I used to), Sakitech (Despite the clickbait, he probably is the best android guy) and SamMobile.

It really depends on what you want. I think my issue with Youtube creators is I wish some of them had podcasts (For example, The Hockey Guy). The whole idea of watching something that can easily be done as a podcast feels like a regression, mainly since I like doing other things while listening to said podcast or music.

shadowboi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
At this point, I don’t see the point in watching 20 minute plus “feature review” most people like MKBHD or LTT post. I got spoiled by the shorts format and now demand one minute or less of content and everything straight to the point.

But tbh I no longer watch YouTube at all, I even uninstalled app from my iPhone. I use web version for those rare occasions when I need to look something up

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hey folks —

As I read through these forums, especially around new product launches, I get the vibes of very strong feelings and opinions toward a lot of popular YouTubers and their reviews and such.

I'm curious — What do y'all like about specific YouTubers or other so-called influencers? What makes certain ones (if there are any for you) better than others? And if you have strong feelings against the general community of these creators, then what would you like to see different?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!
Nowadays people, specially the young are easily influenced by what they see or hear others say. And yes, the old can also fall in that category. It is similar for the "influencers" in the US news media on TV. However, at least in YouTube there are thousands of people presenting the viewer with all subjects imaginable, so one can pick and choose what to watch or what not to watch. There are a lot of things, from politics and everything in between, that aren't being reported by the US news media. One can easily find both sides of the issue at YouTube. I prefer YouTube over any of the US TV channels. In fact, I haven't watched any of the "ABC" channels for over 10 years. The last TV show I remember watching was Fringe.

Like it or not, YouTube is in, and the concept of TV (at least the TV shows created to entertain or to inform the public in one's living room) has drifted into obsolesce. Where else would anybody find the details about how to fix one's car, or about the Tesla $100.00 phone-if YouTube was not there? 😇

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nowadays people, specially the young are easily influenced by what they see or hear others say. And yes, the old can also fall in that category. It is similar for the "influencers" in the US news media on TV. However, at least in YouTube there are thousands of people presenting the viewer with all subjects imaginable, so one can pick and choose what to watch or what not to watch. There are a lot of things, from politics and everything in between, that aren't being reported by the US news media. One can easily find both sides of the issue at YouTube. I prefer YouTube over any of the US TV channels. In fact, I haven't watched any of the "ABC" channels for over 10 years. The last TV show I remember watching was Fringe.

Like it or not, YouTube is in, and the concept of TV (at least the TV shows created to entertain or to inform the public in one's living room) has drifted into obsolesce. Where else would anybody find the details about how to fix one's car, or about the Tesla $100.00 phone-if YouTube was not there? 😇
Repair videos for anything are the best thing on YouTube. Always useful. Probably the thing I watch the most.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

As much as I like YouTube for certain specific types of things I like watching, I don't get my news from there. You are arguing that there are a lot of things being reported that the US news media is not reporting. Sure. But the difference is that YT is not an accredited news source. Videos of personal experiences, okay. Videos of opinion or beliefs presented as fact and truth - not so much.

I might be more inclined to accept news from YT from an official news channel on YT, but if someone is just spouting opinion as fact, I'm not buying. This Gen-Xer cut the cable cord in early 2023 but I still get my news from official sources. Right now, my Amazon Firestick is streaming local news from KCAL 9 in Los Angeles. I live in Phoenix, AZ but as a former California native, I've watched KCAL since the 1980s. In about 24 minutes, I'll switch channels to AZ Family, the local Phoenix, AZ channel which starts its 4:30am to 10am news broadcast at that time.

You may not have watched TV in over 10 years, but I am very much watching news, classic TV shows and anything else I want all through the free streaming services and channels. Not ever giving that up, despite having cut cable TV.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Repair videos for anything are the best thing on YouTube. Always useful. Probably the thing I watch the most.
There are some repair videos I do watch on YT, and I'm doing that a bit more. However, for myself, I find that still pictures in a DIY format serve me best. For that, the best thing for me is iFixit.com.

Sure, I can pause a YT video, but it's not always clear and they aren't always showing you the angles or closeups that iFixit will.

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
There are some repair videos I do watch on YT, and I'm doing that a bit more. However, for myself, I find that still pictures in a DIY format serve me best. For that, the best thing for me is iFixit.com.

Sure, I can pause a YT video, but it's not always clear and they aren't always showing you the angles or closeups that iFixit will.
With the iFixit.com channel and website, I highly recommend caution and care. After their instructions, devices are often taken to the repair shop. They often miss a lot of points in articles when disassembling them. Moreover, some of the disassemblies are incomplete.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With the iFixit.com channel and website, I highly recommend caution and care. After their instructions, devices are often taken to the repair shop. They often miss a lot of points in articles when disassembling them. Moreover, some of the disassemblies are incomplete.
I wasn't even aware they had a YT channel as I just use their website. I've found it to be fairly thorough when repairing old Macs (PowerBooks and PowerMacs mainly). Haven't really used it for anything else.

Thank you for the heads up though, I appreciate that. Should I use them for anything else I'll keep that in mind.

Lastly, I know my limitations. The 12" PowerBook G4 is the smallest thing I've ever worked on and I broke working parts because of that. I would never attempt a repair on my own iPhones or something like that. I'll just head straight to a repair shop and pay someone else to do it. But my preference has always been (and remain so) for pictures over video.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2024
I use YouTube to hear a review or to see demo of a product that I might be interested in. If the video is unhelpful then I just move on. Otherwise I have no opinion about a particular person.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Youtube can be useful, but it usually is filled with idiots and hard to find the credible people who are helpful.

I tend to follow car channels. I find Throttle House to be entertaining, but still informative. Savagegeese is top notch detailed reviews and they have only gotten better in their content and the extent they go.

What I don't follow and don't like are the car channels like streetspeed717 or stradman. Or the other car idiots who buy hot car of today and sell once the profits dry up. Or buy a car and modify it just because of the channel. Streetspeed717 is the perfect example. His channel started out because he was a car person. But today it's all business. Sold his C8 Z06 because he couldn't make money off it because it wasn't mod friendly thus couldn't make content with it. I have no interest in watching disingenuous people like that.

I feel bad for the OG car creators like Matt Maran. He's genuine, works hard, etc to provide content that is as objective as possible. But because that isn't what generates clicks and he refuses to go that route, he was forced to sell his Mustang Bullitt due to his channel struggling.

Other than cars, I also follow Drachinfel, USS NJ channel, USS Iowa channel, and USS Texas channels to go with my naval history interest.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Youtube can be useful, but it usually is filled with idiots and hard to find the credible people who are helpful.

I tend to follow car channels. I find Throttle House to be entertaining, but still informative. Savagegeese is top notch detailed reviews and they have only gotten better in their content and the extent they go.

What I don't follow and don't like are the car channels like streetspeed717 or stradman. Or the other car idiots who buy hot car of today and sell once the profits dry up. Or buy a car and modify it just because of the channel. Streetspeed717 is the perfect example. His channel started out because he was a car person. But today it's all business. Sold his C8 Z06 because he couldn't make money off it because it wasn't mod friendly thus couldn't make content with it. I have no interest in watching disingenuous people like that.

I feel bad for the OG car creators like Matt Maran. He's genuine, works hard, etc to provide content that is as objective as possible. But because that isn't what generates clicks and he refuses to go that route, he was forced to sell his Mustang Bullitt due to his channel struggling.

Other than cars, I also follow Drachinfel, USS NJ channel, USS Iowa channel, and USS Texas channels to go with my naval history interest.
I follow Drachinfel as well. Excellent channel, I should check the others out as well. :)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
As much as I like YouTube for certain specific types of things I like watching, I don't get my news from there. You are arguing that there are a lot of things being reported that the US news media is not reporting. Sure. But the difference is that YT is not an accredited news source. Videos of personal experiences, okay. Videos of opinion or beliefs presented as fact and truth - not so much.

I might be more inclined to accept news from YT from an official news channel on YT, but if someone is just spouting opinion as fact, I'm not buying. This Gen-Xer cut the cable cord in early 2023 but I still get my news from official sources. Right now, my Amazon Firestick is streaming local news from KCAL 9 in Los Angeles. I live in Phoenix, AZ but as a former California native, I've watched KCAL since the 1980s. In about 24 minutes, I'll switch channels to AZ Family, the local Phoenix, AZ channel which starts its 4:30am to 10am news broadcast at that time.

You may not have watched TV in over 10 years, but I am very much watching news, classic TV shows and anything else I want all through the free streaming services and channels. Not ever giving that up, despite having cut cable TV.
In relation to YouTube and "the news," it is not any different than looking for the news in any other place. The national and international news are gathered by a great number of organizations, including the Associated Press. But what I was referring to in my previous post is that, like over 50% of Americans I "look" at the news using digital devices, not just at the US alphabet TV channels and their associated radio stations. The same TV channels and news organizations can also be found in YouTube, although I am not interested in these. The most interesting to me is not necessarily the news, but what people in general have to say about a certain news, or how they feel about it.

I watch YouTube primarily for learning about various subjects, including automobile repair, general home construction and electrical work, photography, and on and on. In other words, I not longer need two sit in front of my TV to watch "the news." The news, regardless of where it comes from is presented to you like to see it or hear it. For example, FOX may present to you the exact same news, but in a different manner than CBS, and even NPR. The differences relate to the biases and embellishments introduced by the different news outlets.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Agree. Everything one may be interested in, from science to anything one can think of, can be found in YouTube. In the past the local TV and radio channels had most shows one could be interested in, but nowadays-at least in the US-the TV and most radio shows are not worst my time, since what I want to watch at the moment is something different. I do enjoy the YouTube metal detecting shows from the UK, and the US. Nowadays everything is happening at a fast pace. Without delays I can "see" the detectorists in the UK using their detector, right in YouTube :)

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In relation to YouTube and "the news," it is not any different than looking for the news in any other place. The national and international news are gathered by a great number of organizations, including the Associated Press. But what I was referring to in my previous post is that, like over 50% of Americans I "look" at the news using digital devices, not just at the US alphabet TV channels and their associated radio stations. The same TV channels and new organizations can also be found in YouTube, although I am not interested in these. The most interesting to me is not necessarily the news, but what people in general have to say about a certain news, or how they feel about it.

I watch YouTube primarily for learning about various subjects, including automobile repair, general home construction and electrical work, photography, and on and on. In other words, I not longer need two sit in front of my TV to watch "the news." The news, regardless of where it comes from is presented to you like to see it or hear it. For example, FOX may present to you the exact same news, but in a different manner than CBS, and even NPR. The differences relate to the biases and embellishments introduced by the different news outlets.
I'm too stuck in my ways. :)

As a latchkey kid, the TV was always on for 'background noise' until people started coming home. As a teen, I had a car and often a short schedule during my junior and senior years so I was often at home to catch the midday news. And I was always watching because it was an outlet to see what was happening in the world beyond my rural community.

As I got older, the house primarily became mine during the mornings and afternoons. It just got so ingrained that when I cut cable, NOT having the news on my TV was a concern for me. That all worked out, but that's where I consume my major news.

And there are frequently times where the news is on and I'm browsing Flipboard and Google News at the same time…so, there's that. :)

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Hey folks —

As I read through these forums, especially around new product launches, I get the vibes of very strong feelings and opinions toward a lot of popular YouTubers and their reviews and such.

I'm curious — What do y'all like about specific YouTubers or other so-called influencers? What makes certain ones (if there are any for you) better than others? And if you have strong feelings against the general community of these creators, then what would you like to see different?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!
Yeah, of course! Honestly love talking about this for some reason...

Honestly, from about 2019 till 2023, I was HEAVILY invested in tech YouTube. I'd make entire lists every day of all the great new videos to watch later that day. I've since largely given up - or rather, should I say, I've changed course a lil bit.

Problem is, all of these big YouTubers (won't name names, but yall probably know who I'm talking about) - especially tech YouTubers, just basically make the videos to brag about all the money they have to buy all the latest, most expensive models of things. It's honestly really disgusting. Let me pose a question: HOW IS THAT HELPING ANYONE?!?!

What I like to see are small YT channels, usually of less than 20K subscribers, do genuine, honest, non-sponsored reviews of products. THOSE videos I will watch anytime!

I've even made some myself, some more successful than others. My intention is not to gain a large following - in fact, I don't want a large following. Rather, my intention is to provide updated perspectives on old products, my own thoughts on them, and such. My YT channel is not under my given name, so most people don't even know who I am. I also upload maybe 3-5 times a year, so very infrequently. Only when I have an idea of something that people will actually find useful - at least that's my intent. I never show my face, and my videos are very short, because I don't want people to have to watch 30 minutes for one thing to happen or for me to make one point. (Talking is also physically difficult and straining for me so that's part of it too.)

I also enjoy traveling, so I'll watch travel videos sometimes, but honestly, I just haven't watched much YouTube lately.

Anyways, what makes a good "influencer?" Someone who doesn't overtly brag about their possessions/ability to buy the top product. Someone who is honest. Someone who is correct (doesn't say wrong/inaccurate stuff). Someone who doesn't review something just because a company sent them the product.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yeah, of course! Honestly love talking about this for some reason...

Honestly, from about 2019 till 2023, I was HEAVILY invested in tech YouTube. I'd make entire lists every day of all the great new videos to watch later that day. I've since largely given up - or rather, should I say, I've changed course a lil bit.

Problem is, all of these big YouTubers (won't name names, but yall probably know who I'm talking about) - especially tech YouTubers, just basically make the videos to brag about all the money they have to buy all the latest, most expensive models of things. It's honestly really disgusting. Let me pose a question: HOW IS THAT HELPING ANYONE?!?!

What I like to see are small YT channels, usually of less than 20K subscribers, do genuine, honest, non-sponsored reviews of products. THOSE videos I will watch anytime!

I've even made some myself, some more successful than others. My intention is not to gain a large following - in fact, I don't want a large following. Rather, my intention is to provide updated perspectives on old products, my own thoughts on them, and such. My YT channel is not under my given name, so most people don't even know who I am. I also upload maybe 3-5 times a year, so very infrequently. Only when I have an idea of something that people will actually find useful - at least that's my intent. I never show my face, and my videos are very short, because I don't want people to have to watch 30 minutes for one thing to happen or for me to make one point. (Talking is also physically difficult and straining for me so that's part of it too.)

I also enjoy traveling, so I'll watch travel videos sometimes, but honestly, I just haven't watched much YouTube lately.

Anyways, what makes a good "influencer?" Someone who doesn't overtly brag about their possessions/ability to buy the top product. Someone who is honest. Someone who is correct (doesn't say wrong/inaccurate stuff). Someone who doesn't review something just because a company sent them the product.
Very true, at least about what a good or helpful influencer should be.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The repair videos that's easy to follow/understand, gets straight to the point, no obnoxious music and shows how to fix it right are the best.

For everyone of those, there are thousands with blaring music, long ass intro detailing the YouTuber's history of misfortune, crappy camera work and so on. I hate those. But the ones I hate the most are the an attempt was made repair videos where they end up not fixing a thing.😒 Y'all just waste my time.😠

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
For tech stuff, I occasionally watch Dave2D and MKBHD. But they’re halfway between influencers and reviewers.

I’m aware of Andrew Tate, mainly for his atrocious reputation. Another person who annoys me is Jordan Peterson, both are more ‘personalities’ than a influencers.

Proper ’influencers’ I don’t really find interesting.

One other group to be aware of is AI models, these are AI-generated people pretending to be clothes models or similar, and actually earn money from this.

spunkystrawberries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Wow! Such a wide and diverse group of opinions and responses! Thank you so much. :)

As I'm reading through these, I struggled to figure out the right term to describe some of the 'tech reviewers' on YouTube, but y'all picked up on the group(s) I was originally picturing. (Some are more self described as 'influencers' or 'content creators' or whatever.) But y'all have helped hit upon what I was hoping to uncover.

There are some strong views around several popular ones on YouTube, and for those with negative opinions, I'm curious to learn why or what could be different that would make you like them. It sounds like there's some common perspectives around genuineness, them actually providing value to others, not being a shill and just reviewing whatever they got for free, or going over the top with clickbait are some of the biggest themes.

Loving the perspectives from y'all. Thank you!

Reactions: rm5

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Wow! Such a wide and diverse group of opinions and responses! Thank you so much. :)

As I'm reading through these, I struggled to figure out the right term to describe some of the 'tech reviewers' on YouTube, but y'all picked up on the group(s) I was originally picturing. (Some are more self described as 'influencers' or 'content creators' or whatever.) But y'all have helped hit upon what I was hoping to uncover.

There are some strong views around several popular ones on YouTube, and for those with negative opinions, I'm curious to learn why or what could be different that would make you like them. It sounds like there's some common perspectives around genuineness, them actually providing value to others, not being a shill and just reviewing whatever they got for free, or going over the top with clickbait are some of the biggest themes.

I can assured you the Elton had already figured, before buying, how the future YouTube should be :)

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands

That’s pretty much it, genuineness and providing useful reviews set Brownlee and Dave a cut above for example iJustine, who I find to be too much in Apple’s pocket.

MKBHD got some flak for his scathing review of the Humane AI Pin, but I don’t think that review would have had the impact it did if it didn’t put it’s finger on some home truths. There is a good product there in the AI Pin ‘space’, but Humane’s effort wasn’t it, and I think MKBHDs review won him some fans.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2019
Not sure if this is the right place to post this:
https://petapixel.com/2024/10/04/youtube-shorts-expands-video-length-to-three-minutes/

As I was clicking on the link I thought to myself, "Oh great, that'll give the ewetube oligarchs an excuse to preface their "Shorts" with ads, and sure enough the article stated so, although it was worded that it sounded like it was the creator's option; I don't think the ads are an option anymore for the more long-form creators. There were a few that I followed who did not use ads, now they all do. Sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.