Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Is there a way to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device (for instance a TB3 hub) to one of the Thunderbolt 2 ports of the MacPro end 2013? :rolleyes:
The Apple adapter from TB2 (female) to TB3 (male) mentions to be "reversible" AFAIK :confused:
Would it be possible to use the TB3 male side connected in a TB3 device and then use a male to male TB2 cable (if there is such a thing :confused: which I don't know!!!) to connect it to one of the TB2 ports of the MP 6.1? :rolleyes:
Or exists an adapter which adapts TB3 to a TB2 port... instead of the other way around as all the adapters I have seen including the one from Apple? o_O
I understand that any such connection would have just the speed of TB2...but I would like to find a way to phisically connect TB3 devices on one of the TB2 ports of the MacPro trashcan!
Thank you very much for any suggestion, solution or product! :)
Ed

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
In case if you are looking a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure readily connectable to Thunderbolt 2 system.
Look at here https://thunderbolt-raid-jbod.com/Cc/thunderbolt-raid-towers.html
these includes TB3 to TB2 bidirectional adapter too, pretty neat
Thank you!
[doublepost=1531554313][/doublepost]
I have the apple tb2 to tb3 device. It's reversible. Works great so far.
Thank you joebclash for your info!
Therefore such an adapter as the Apple one plus a TB2 cable (which I suppose comes with male plugs on both sides, suppose...since I never had one in my hands) should do the trick.
Correct me if I am wrong, please.
Again thank you joebclash!

joebclash

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
Thank you!
[doublepost=1531554313][/doublepost]
Thank you joebclash for your info!
Therefore such an adapter as the Apple one plus a TB2 cable (which I suppose comes with male plugs on both sides, suppose...since I never had one in my hands) should do the trick.
Correct me if I am wrong, please.
Again thank you joebclash!

Not sure I completely understand your question. That adapter has tb2 female on one end and tb3 male on the other end. Below is picture.

Attachments

• appletb.jpg
    appletb.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 242

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Correct. You need a TB2 male-to-male cable. A mDP will not work.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Correct. You need a TB2 male-to-male cable. A mDP will not work.
Thank you very much!
[doublepost=1531662842][/doublepost]
Not sure I completely understand your question. That adapter has tb2 female on one end and tb3 male on the other end. Below is picture.
Exactly. The male TB3 will be used for a TB3 device, for instance a TB3 dock.
In the female TB2 plug comes one end of a TB2 to TB2 cable and its other end enters one of the TB2 ports of the MP End 2013.
In such a way the TB3 device works with the MP and the speed is of course the TB2 speed.
Ed
[doublepost=1531663396][/doublepost]
Please note that not all Thunderbolt 3 devices work when using the TB2->TB3 adapter. For example, the Promise TD-300 dock does work but the Sonnet Solo10G ethernet adapter does not, because it requires more power than Thunderbolt 2 provides.
I was thinking of a TB hub with a stereo audio input (in) since the MP End 2013 has no audio in.:(
Unfortunately most TB hubs I have seen (like the ElGato) have an audio in input which is only intended for a mono microphone.:oops:
I hope to find a not too expensive TB hub with a fully stereo audio in input.:rolleyes:
If any forum reader knows of one dock with a stereo in jack please let me know.;)
Thanks!:)
Ed

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.