Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookieagent47

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Hey!

I was wondering if there's any thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt cable out there.
I'm getting my new Macbook Pro 2016 next week and I was wondering if I could use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 or HDMI or anything else to connect it to this https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00HG7EB64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alternatively is there any Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adepters? The only thing I can find is Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2, not the other way around

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
There's no cable unfortunately (had to chain a dongle and a cord to get the job done myself) however there's lots of dongles and hubs that can give you HDMI or whatever.

cookieagent47

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
There's no cable unfortunately (had to chain a dongle and a cord to get the job done myself) however there's lots of dongles and hubs that can give you HDMI or whatever.

Thats so unfortunate! :( Yeah dongle is the only way to go seems like.

Were you able to find any Thunderbolt 2 to 3 dongle? Apple seems to sell only Thunderbolt 3 to 2 and not the other way around. I'm thinking about connecting the dongle to my monitor and leave it there and whenever I wanna connect it to my computer I can just insert the thunderbolt 3 cable into the dongle

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Thats so unfortunate! :( Yeah dongle is the only way to go seems like.

Were you able to find any Thunderbolt 2 to 3 dongle? Apple seems to sell only Thunderbolt 3 to 2 and not the other way around. I'm thinking about connecting the dongle to my monitor and leave it there and whenever I wanna connect it to my computer I can just insert the thunderbolt 3 cable into the dongle

I got a TB3->TB dongle and a short TB cord that is, as you mention, now stuck to the back of the display (which is actually a 27" iMac that's now a Target Display for when i need 2 screens.)

cookieagent47

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
I got a TB3->TB dongle and a short TB cord that is, as you mention, now stuck to the back of the display (which is actually a 27" iMac that's now a Target Display for when i need 2 screens.)

Cool, thanks :) Gonna do the same I guess

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
So, just to make it really clear:

The TB3 to TB2 cable WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY DISPLAY. None. It is not a display cable.

If you want to connect to a display, you probably want something like TB3<->displayport, but USB-C<->displayport is probably just as good, as long as it supports the alt mode thing to let the video signal go over the cable without interfering with the USB/TB3 data bandwidth. (Same for HDMI.)

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
So, just to make it really clear:

The TB3 to TB2 cable WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY DISPLAY. None. It is not a display cable.
It will.

You can use it to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a Thunderbolt display, for example the Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 01.18.46.png

Reactions: chabig

Alfredo's

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
It will.

You can use it to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a Thunderbolt display, for example the Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display.

View attachment 673529

I dealt with a Apple Support on this today, and no it doesn't work with the dongle. I have the Apple thunderbolt Display Gen 1 - the one with the DisplayPort. Apple support had no idea why, they blamed it on the dongle. I think it doesn't support it. I need a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or adapter

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I dealt with a Apple Support on this today, and no it doesn't work with the dongle. I have the Apple thunderbolt Display Gen 1 - the one with the DisplayPort. Apple support had no idea why, they blamed it on the dongle. I think it doesn't support it. I need a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or adapter
Then it is an issue specific to you. This adapter most certainly supports Thunderbolt-driven displays.

Are you sure you don't actually have a Cinema Display?

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I will concede that it's possible that some displays are using a special connection which isn't an actual video connection, but uses something else to move video bits. But that's a pretty special case, and I don't think I've heard of anything other than the thunderbolt display doing it.

Alfredo's

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
Then it is an issue specific to you. This adapter most certainly supports Thunderbolt-driven displays.

Are you sure you don't actually have a Cinema Display?

Yes, I meant the LED Cinema Display. The mini display port will not work with the TB2 - TB3 adapter.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
This might be confusing for consumers.

Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C share the same connector.
Thunderbolt 1/2 and mini Display Port share the same connector.

Thunderbolt 3 doesn't support USB-C Display Port Alternate Mode and USB-C doesn't support Thunderbolt 2, but Thunderbolt 3 does support Thunderbolt 2.

If you want to drive a Thunderbolt 1/2 display, you have to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1/2 dongle, anything else won't work.

If you want to drive a (mini) Display Port display, you have to use a USB-C to (mini) Display Port dongle, anything else won't work.

So we are having 2 dongles looking the exact same, you could even plug in the other cables, but it won't work.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I have run into this issue on my 2013 MBP and trying to connect my Wide Gamut NEC 27 inch directly into the TB port on the laptop. Its a no go but in my office I run the display port cable into a Pegasus R4 TB external drive than go from there to the computer and no problems at all. What Im really hoping here is the TB3 cable to TB 2 cable will work with the same setup. NEC into Pegasus and out on TB 2 and with the connector it should work. Fingers crossed, Im waiting on new 2016 now. If anyone thinks this will not work Ill buy the LG in a heartbeat and sell this NEC

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK

Thunderbolt 3 doesn't support USB-C Display Port Alternate Mode and USB-C doesn't support Thunderbolt 2, but Thunderbolt 3 does support Thunderbolt 2.

If you want to drive a Thunderbolt 1/2 display, you have to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1/2 dongle, anything else won't work.

If you want to drive a (mini) Display Port display, you have to use a USB-C to (mini) Display Port dongle, anything else won't work.

So we are having 2 dongles looking the exact same, you could even plug in the other cables, but it won't work.
It's not ideal, but it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The alternative would be to change the connector of TB3 so it is different to USB-C. Would make it more clear to the consumer which is which but ruins backwards compatibility (at least without yet another adapter).

As it is, it isn't too different to the transition to USB 3 - same physical connector etc.

Personally I just wish there was one international body that was responsible for testing and verifying all USB-C and TB3 products. What's more concerning for the customer than compatibility right now is how easily you can buy dangerous and non-functioning USB-C cables.

Even the safe ones are too complicated - is it 3A or 5A? Gen 1 or Gen 2? If it's a TB3, does it have USB backwards-compatibility? Such a mess.

Alfredo's

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
So basically, 2016 MacBook Pro with...

27" Apple LED Cinema Display with miniDP + TB3 to TB2 adapter = doesn't work

Any display with mini display port + TB3 to TB2 adapter = doesn't work

27" Thunderboldt Display + TB3 to TB2 adapter = works

U need a USB-C to mini Display port adapter to work with any mini display port display

Reactions: chabig

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I can verify that the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter works with the Apple Thunderbolt Display – I'm typing in a browser window on that display right now with my new 15". As for the ports on the back of the TB display, I've successfully tested the USB and FW ports though my original Drobo connected via FW isn't recognized unless I plug it into the back of a NewerTech/OWC dual drive box that is connected to the display's FW port.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I can verify that the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter works with the Apple Thunderbolt Display – I'm typing in a browser window on that display right now with my new 15". As for the ports on the back of the TB display, I've successfully tested the USB and FW ports though my original Drobo connected via FW isn't recognized unless I plug it into the back of a NewerTech/OWC dual drive box that is connected to the display's FW port.

Great thanks I'll be on the road and renting the Thunderbolt Display and I only need the display to function. I have to have one for home anyway so I'll make sure I pack it . Adapter heaven. Lol

I think a lot of folks are bugged by these adapters and reality is for a lot of us it's kind of normal anyway. I have every port plugged up now and hubs to boot.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
In case anyone else has an original Drobo like do, what's annoying is that I can get my Drobo to work over firewire like this:

MBP mid-2012 --> TB Display --> Drobo

but NOT like this:

MBP 2016 --> TB3 to TB2 adapter --> TB Display --> Drobo

unless there's another FW device I can chain the Drobo to like this:

MBP 2016 --> TB3 to TB2 adapter --> TB Display --> Other FW Device --> Drobo

However I have to keep "Other FW Device" on for the daisy chained Drobo to be recognized. I guess I'll switch to USB for the Drobo now. I was hoping the TB3 to TB2 adapter would at just keep my status quo. No biggie, just an annoyance.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Do the adapters work in the other direction? That is to allow the use of a thunderbolt 3 device with a thunder bolt 2 computer? Kinda want to try one of those Razer Core eGPU things when I'm booting to Windows, but have no desire otherwise for a new macbook pro.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I assume I can us the Apple adapter to go from TB3 computer to TB1/2 hub? No display hanging off the hub, just HDDs etc.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
Do the adapters work in the other direction? That is to allow the use of a thunderbolt 3 device with a thunder bolt 2 computer? Kinda want to try one of those Razer Core eGPU things when I'm booting to Windows, but have no desire otherwise for a new macbook pro.
as far as i am aware the apple adapter should work both ways

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

Apple under Steve Jobs: It just works
Apple under Tim Cook: Dongle-life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.