Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueRevere

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
I can verify that the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter works with the Apple Thunderbolt Display – I'm typing in a browser window on that display right now with my new 15". As for the ports on the back of the TB display, I've successfully tested the USB and FW ports though my original Drobo connected via FW isn't recognized unless I plug it into the back of a NewerTech/OWC dual drive box that is connected to the display's FW port.

Anson42,

you post confuses me, documentation and a video suggest that this can not work.

Which Apple Cinema Display do you have, the LED or an old one?

And which features from the Apple Cinema Display work, the display, the network, the USB ports and the camera - or just the display?

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Anson42,

you post confuses me, documentation and a video suggest that this can not work.

Which Apple Cinema Display do you have, the LED or an old one?

And which features from the Apple Cinema Display work, the display, the network, the USB ports and the camera - or just the display?

Please re-read my post. I mention that the adapter works with the Apple THUNDERBOLT Display, not the Cinema Display which will not work with the TB adapter. With the THUNDERBOLT display I have tested USB and Firewire ports only. I have yet to try the camera and network port. [I haven't tested the other display features as I'm back on my 2012 MBP finishing up a project before cutting over completely to the new MBP!]

Alfredo's

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2016
Attached is the dongle I used to have my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display(not the Thunderboldt Display)(I know, they look the exact same) work with the 2016 Macbook Pro.
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361824135008 I bought it. It works!

I originally tried the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter but it didn't work. Although the adapters are physically the exact same ports, the underlying technology is different that's why you need a Mini Displayport to USB-C. Confusing. I know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 6.37.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 6.37.53 PM.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 142

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Attached is the dongle I used to have my 27" Apple LED Cinema Display(not the Thunderboldt Display)(I know, they look the exact same) work with the 2016 Macbook Pro.
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361824135008 I bought it. It works!

I originally tried the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter but it didn't work. Although the adapters are physically the exact same ports, the underlying technology is different that's why you need a Mini Displayport to USB-C. Confusing. I know.
usb-c would make things simpler they said, it's the future, they said

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I'm pretty sure it is.
But as always, early adopters are getting screwed with compatibility and pricing.
if the user is getting screwed like that, it's not.

this is like making firewire port only mac in 1995 and saying it's the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.